Default Explorer/Junior Info

Hey. I am in Kent Volunteer Fire Department in Kent, CT. We are a small town in Northwestern CT. I am a Fire Explorer and soon to be an EMT-B. Our department is redoing our Explorer unit and hopefully being Juniors. I am trying to find out as much informationg as possible on different Department with Juniors/Explorers who are the small town setting and how they handle their youths. If you feel you have a good stable group and everyone seems happy with how it all is run I would greatly appricate any information you would be able to give me. Bylaws, SOPs, and any other sort of information. You can email me at purcell17@juno.com or post a reply to this.

THANK YOU!

-Billy

Forum Member

Well Bill,
    You got a good start, you seem professional and can spell.

So far your ahead of the game.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Originally posted by stm4710
    Well Bill,
    You got a good start, you seem professional and can spell.

So far your ahead of the game.
    Hahahahahahah. Nice.

The program is going to be whatever you want to make it. If the membership doesn't care about anything but being a member to look good on a college application, it will fail. If your membership cares about being involved, going to calls when they can, going to drills and meetings (and actually participating while there), you have won half the battle.

The other 1/2 of the battle is support and leadership from the fire department. If the advisors from your department don't care or are just total morons, you will have problems. If the advisors are only doing it because of the power trip bossing around younger people, you will have problems. If your advisors actually care and want the post to succeed, your in luck.

If the junior membership can work with the adults to follow the rules and guidlines and show that you do care and are willing to make an effort, and the advisors are willing to do the same, you will have accomplished Junior Firefighting Utopia. There are always little kinks along the way. You have carefully weed out the idiots and the ones who don't care. Eventually, if all of the above works out, you should be happy.

Background info: I'm an advisor now but started in the dept as an explorer. As both an explorer and an advisor, I experienced all of the above, both good and bad (really bad). Right now, we doing excellent and only getting better.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Hey KVFDBilly,
    Your from Kent? I am from Millerton, only like a half an hour away from you, still in Dutchess County if you happen not to know where Millerton is.

Anyways, I would have to reflect on everything that nmfire said by saying they are excellent points. I have the feeling that you are looking for already established by-laws and such to help you get going? I am sure I would be able to help you out in some way.

Btw, how many Explorers do you have?
    IACOJ

Originally posted by MFDExplorer51
    I have the feeling that you are looking for already established by-laws and such to help you get going? I am sure I would be able to help you out in some way.

Btw, how many Explorers do you have?
    Yes I am looking for established bylaws and SOPs that have worked for other groups. Our explorer post has somewhere around ten memembers.

Thanks for the help so far!

-Billy
    Last edited by KVFDBilly; 05-03-2004 at 08:00 PM.

No, we havent converted from an Explorer Post to Juniors, we actually converted from Juniors to Explorers. However we actually have a system where an Explorer can technically be a Junior, its a long process, depending on your def. of a junior, etc. etc..

I would have to say that regardless of the conversion I don't think anything should happen other then now it will become the assets of the Juniors.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by KVFDBilly
    We are unsure what should happen to the items the Explorer Post owns such as pagers or the Posts funds we have raised.
    You still own it. Your more or less changing the following:

Certain rules and restrictions that boy scouts have the juniors don't... or that the juniors will have that the boy scouts don't.

Patches on your uniforms. Who really cares.

Insurance from and dues to the boy scouts. As long as the town insures you like the senior members, all is good.

Any boy scout activities are no longer an option. In all the years I've been involved, we went to one so you probably won't be missing much there.

The equipment is still owned by your group or the dept or whoever holds the money. It isn't owned by the boy scouts or anyone else.

Wow, I am sorry to hear that one Billy. When we were Juniors, and what I know from other Juniors, there isnt anything in that sense that your stuff belongs to the department. But then again also none of them switched over. Your equipment purchased by your whatever the term for yourselves may be, is yours. I don't know if there is some hidden clause there, or if the dept. just wants your money. It will be interesting to hear how this unfolds.
    Last edited by MFDExplorer51; 05-02-2004 at 08:31 PM.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

OK. If they take the money and pagers, that is called theft. If they force it out of you, I believe the word is extortion. The department can't just take the pagers and your money. It doesn't work like that.

How do you have the money "stored"? Our explorer post has it's own bank account. The equipment our explorer post bought with that money belongs to the explorer post. If we were to covert the post to Juniors, this is what would happen... We would change the name on the bank account from "Explorer Post" to "Junior Firefighters".

The only other way this could play out is that the fire dept has a budget line item for Juniors. This money would be the money that you've raised. It is not for the department to use. It is for your post and only your post. The only difference is the money is kept in the same accounts as the regular department's money. This is difficult to put into words.

MembersZone Subscriber

Im coming from a small post in Illionis with somewhere around 10 memebers. Its as simple as this. The more dedicated your group of kids are, the better everything will work out.

Hey after a long long process(about 9 months), of writting out bylaws, having meetings and having them rejected and reviesed I am not part of a Junior Department. I think my advisor and myself came up with a great set of very detailed bylaws(which will hopefully be modified a little more once things are up in running giving up some more rights) and I will happily send them to anyone who may want them. Thanks to people who responed to this post and to people who's bylaws I read off of here which gave me ideas.
    -Billy
    KVFD Juniors

>People are always asking me how is it that firefighters run into a burning building when everyone else is running out. Courage is the answer.<

Forum Member

I would need a few things clarified to reply to this post. When you guys are talking about the " Explorer Post" are you guys getting pagers and turn out gear from a department and being allowed to attend calls?? Because I would say from personal experience juniors are allowed to go on truck, attend calls, help the department the best they can... So I would have to say if you take the kids that seems most into it and willing to learn that you would make them Juniors.... This might not make sense if i misunderstoof the above post but we'll see. At our department we have Juniors not explorers and they can be very active depending on there desire to learn....
    Rescue
    Eat, Sleep,
    Repeat

Thread Information