Forum Member

Default Is brush gear suitable for extrication?

For the common everyday extrication with "common" hazards, is brush ff gear sufficient for protection? Is this a seasonal preference?
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

In my opinion no. Since fire is a "common" hazard at an MVA. In my dept and with any crew under my command you wear your structural or extrication gear if your on our Rescue (assigned pt care and extrication) and for the Engine structural gear and until told otherwise by the IC have your SCBA on your back. I was not always such a hardass about that SOP until I rolled up on an MVA with non-placarded explosives (fireworks) with smoke coming from the hood of the other vehicle. Luckly nothing went wrong but since that day my self and the other officers there preach that its better to be ready to fight a car fire U/A than to arrive at a call unprepared.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

MembersZone Subscriber

O.K. - I need some insight on this as I am in the market for something to wear other than Full TOG so you folks who are using some type of extrication suit help me out.

Using American Firewear as an example:
    http://www.firewear.com/jumpsuits.html

Wildland Jumpsuit, EMS Jumpsuit, or Extrication Jumpsuit

All are made in your choice of
    9.5 oz. Indura Flame Resistant Cotton - or - 6 oz. Nomex

All are certified to NFPA 1977, Protective Clothing and Equipment for Wildland Fire Fighting 2000 Edition, and CAL-OSHA article 10.1, Section 3406(c) Protective Clothing Other Than Turnout Clothing

shammrock54 - if you're allowing Extrication Jumpsuits - why not Wildland clothing? Is there an inner liner to the Extrication Suit that not in the Wildland gear that I'm missing?

I'm not trying to bust your chops, I genuinely want to know as I am planning on buying a suit to use for Wildland, Extrication, and Fire Stand-by at the local Speedway (if it's too hot / too big for this type of suit, then my 10# Dry Chem. extinguisher prob isn't going to stop it anyway and the guys in TOG on the Safety Trucks will have to step in)
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

We do not use extrication jumpsuits. We purchased some extrication coats and allow members to wear long pants, boots, the coats, helmet, and eye protection. However this is not the uniform of choice, in the SOP your structural gear is still the standard. We added this option for hot weather, those doing pt care, and command. If you are on the Engine assigned to the MVA you have no choice and are in structural gear with SCBA.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

MembersZone Subscriber

I am a retailer for Mifflin Valley Reflective Apparel, they also offer all sorts of jumpsuits and pant/coat combos for extrication and wildfire, etc. You can check them out at Mifflin Valley

John D. Cummings
    Safety Lighting and Equipment
    Rehoboth MA
    508-379-6013
    www.safetylightingandequipment.com
    sales@safetylightingandequipment.com

Thread Information