Sometime late last night into early morning, retired career firefighter, active lifetime rescue squad member, and active Augusta County forest warden John Greene passed away. Johnny made friends up and down the East Coast, including many members of the FDNY. He was the kind of man that could make you laugh and smile, no matter how bad of a day you were having. He was well-known for his pranks and his farfetched stories, which he swore up and down were the truth. It is impossible to describe the loss that we feel, and it hits me so much harder, because he was one of my best friends, and I had a smile on my face every time we talked or even if I passed him going down the road. He will leave lots of great memories for people to treasure, and I know I will for a long, long time.

The funeral will be at the Waynesboro First Aid Crew, 201 W. Broad St., Waynesboro, Va., on Friday, May 7, 2004 at 1100 hrs. Viewing for friends and family will be on Thursday, May 6, 2004, at 1800 hrs until 2000 or so. Please keep us all in your prayers.