MembersZone Subscriber

Default Number 1 BAD SCBA...

For a change lets discuss what the WORST SCBA available to the fire service is. There are some top contenders to be sure.

I am going to nominate the NORTH NFPA Comlpliant SCBA.

http://www.websoft-solutions.net/pho...-800-SER-2.jpg

So bat it hurts.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Permanently Removed

Default North?

North SCBAs...look kinda weak. Any feedback on them?

MembersZone Subscriber

Just this old thread. I found a North SCBA on Ebay, never heard of them. So I asked. POS!

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...ght=north+scba
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

Default Naw, here's the worst

This is what happens when you go "low-bid" on respiratory protection.

Performance data:

YUGO SNOUT-MASTER 2K
    PROTECTION AGAINST AIRBORNE HAZARDS
    Cat dander: 100%
    Beer farts: 65%
    Oak pollen: 54%
    Burned hair: 12%
    Soot/Crusty jake: 6%
    Carbon monoxide: 0%
    Carbon dioxide: 0%
    Hydrogen sulfide: 0%
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Thumbs down

NFPA North. Looks like a piece of junk if you ask me. The waist belt looks more like a fanny pack or something. Does not look like something I would ever want to have on in a high heat or low heat situation.
    Everything that I post is my opinion only, none of this should be taken as fact.

Forum Member

That doesn't look like that good of an SCBA..Cheap and it doesn't look like it would last that long
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm going to get in on this one with Interspiro's.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

My vote is for Interspiro. Never seen a North, but I did witness an Interspiro fall apart due to weak plastic parts DURING interior livefire training.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by FORTff
    I'm going to get in on this one with Interspiro's.
    ...and I'll second this nomination. You ever strap a 40 pound propane cylinder to your back??? Still connected to the grill??? Voila, you've got a Interspiro
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

MembersZone Subscriber

I've never worn anything so painful, so cumbersome, so un-user friendly, so cheaply put together, and so poorly thought out.

No wonder the Air Force uses them........

Funny the air force uses them and the navy uses real scbas Draegers. strange they would use such junk in while dealing with jet fuel.hmmmm
    Everything that I post is my opinion only, none of this should be taken as fact.

Forum Member

Some of the negative pressure Normalair's from the 1970's were not too flash.

unrepentant fool
    back home for the first time in MANY years

Default Re: Naw, here's the worst

Originally posted by EastKyFF
    This is what happens when you go "low-bid" on respiratory protection.

Performance data:

YUGO SNOUT-MASTER 2K
    PROTECTION AGAINST AIRBORNE HAZARDS
    Cat dander: 100%
    Beer farts: 65%
    Oak pollen: 54%
    Burned hair: 12%
    Soot/Crusty jake: 6%
    Carbon monoxide: 0%
    Carbon dioxide: 0%
    Hydrogen sulfide: 0%
    I think I've got you beat...
    I know departments that wouldn't give their members anything but a clothespin if it weren't for state inspectors!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default You use what you can get

It would be nice if every department can have the best SCBAs in the industry. However, all departments are not blessed with enough money to purchase these. Heck, I would love it if we could get the Scott 4.5 with Heads Up Display.

But if the department can only get a low end SCBA, it is better than nothing. Especailly if entry is required. How many firefighters have been killed because the did not use an SCBA. I am still amazed at seeing pictures of career firefighters working on the roof, standing by the entry or wherever and smoke is all around them, and they are not wearing SCBAs.

Therefore, if all you have is the worst SCBA in the industry, it is better than nothing.

Forum Member

Gotta disagree with volly fireman , I would rather have a quality built used or refurbed pack , than a brand new low end. Kinda like I would rather drive on a set of good used heavy duty tires than a brand new set of two ply cheapies.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel
    Gotta disagree with volly fireman , I would rather have a quality built used or refurbed pack , than a brand new low end. Kinda like I would rather drive on a set of good used heavy duty tires than a brand new set of two ply cheapies.
    But if you can only afford one used heavy duty tire, would you buy it? Or would you get 4 mid-quality (or low-quality) tires that cost the same as the one tire.

I do realize there is a safety issue, but not all departments are blessed with enough money to buy everything they need. We were fortunate enough to get newer Scott 2.2, and donated our old Scott 2 to a department that only had 3 SCBAs. And ours were newer than what they had.

Did they work, yes. Were they safe, yes. Would I use them, in a pinch...yes. Would I prefer something newer, you bet.

Forum Member

Well , if I had to choose between driving with unsafe/ un suitable tires and heavy duty tires (prefer new , but quality used would have to do) I would leave the vehicle in the garage. Before yall start flaming me, I would like to add I have fought countless fires with two old MSA s for the whole dept. and a "class 9" skid unit for an attack pumper. Took me many years to realise that the "doing something with nothing" was hurting the community. We were giving a false sense of security and in fact being an "enabler" By not making the community fullfill its obligations. Got a question for yall, suppose your neighbor was building a new house, you offered to provide free labor, and he said "since your coming over here, buy your self some tools and bring a truck load of 2/4 s . Would you be offended? You would think if you are donating your time and skills, he would provide the best power tools money could buy. Or I guess you could have a pancake breakfast and buy a table saw.

Thread Information