Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Other FDIC Show Stoppers

In reading the threads on this site, I would say that Seagrave and Pierce were the only manufacturers at FDIC! For those who did attend, what other apparatus manufacturer's "new technology" did you see and what are your thoughts? What about the new Crimsen Fire Aerial device? I beleive that it was at the show, but not one mention of it. What about any new equipment, like Akron's new master stream nozzle that is designed the same way as the Saber Jet nozzles are?

Forum Member

Thumbs up

The Crimson aerial was one of the most innovative products at the show. Their new sealed nylatron roller bearings system that the ladder extends and retracts on,( no grease))is a great design. And their new outrigger system was unlike anything I have seen before,it is the best of both underslung and vertically down jacking which will level the truck up to a 15% grade. They also had a pinable waterway that could lock in from the turntable. No walking down the ladder to transfer a pin or throw a lever. Great engineering I thought.

Forum Member

There is so much to look at. I used to attend two days...now I remember why. Everyone always does a good job. Even the company who only brings one truck. I could do that everyday. 5 hours seemed like 5 minutes.

Anyway...I really liked the ROM door display. Not for the doors exactly but for their newest innovation which is still not completed.

They are designing a roll up door that serves as a hose bed cover. It operates just like a roll up door but is mounted above the hose bed. Kinda small I know...yet neat to me. I like that kind of stuff at FDIC. I also enjoyed looking at Freightliners Unimog truck. Not in fire truck dress...but still awesome any way you look at it. I want one for my POV. The steering column assembly and pedals slide on a hidden rail system to the passenger side if thats where you want it. OR in the middle. In two seconds you go from left hand driver to right hand driver.
    Assistant Chief

CRIMSON:

Crimson Ladder pinnable? Smeal came out with the positional waterway which electric activation a couple of years ago. And I do believe it is patented.

Nylatron rollers making a ladder maintenance free? Come on, AI tried that one a few years back. There is nothing "Maintenance Free". Grease free maybe, but will they hold up with such a concentrated load on such a small area. I think someone tried the roller thing years ago and it did not work then, why do they think it would work now.

Outriggers idea was OK, but how much of the body will have to be removed to access the rear cylinders.

The way they had the ladder set up, you would crush the body if one was installed.

Looks like another Aerial Innovations ladder to me.

Nice cover up on the stress points of the overlap with the triangle shaped steel with the logo cut out to make it look like it was designed into the structure.

SUTPHEN:

New Aerial Ladder.

PIERCE:

Pack mule which is already patented by Smeal.

Aluminum Ladder? Crazy.

Heard other companies ****ed off over the 40' wall. There is a 16' display height limit for this show.

SEAGRAVE:

Using the RK platform? Have they gone mad?

ROSENBAUER:

Hot Dip galvannized ladder. Will it look like an old windmill in a couple of years?

SMEAL:

Stainless Steel bodies? Another player in the stainless market. It was impressive looking.

Their own chassis? The "Altair". Playing the Sole Source game? Look out!

HME CHASSIS:

Back in their own booth.

AHRENS FOX:

Let's go build some rescue trucks.

FERRARA:

Did not see anything new.

KME:

Nothing new.

E-ONE:

Back to spending big advertising dollars. Will it save them?

METZ:

Hang a MiniVan from your aerial, but still can't operate at 100% extension on a horizontal plane.

What will the IAFC bring????
    Last edited by ff43065; 05-06-2004 at 09:41 PM.

Was the new Sutphen ladder one with a "side mount" ladder? Heard some rumors/ chat about this last January when we were at Sutphen Corp.

Side mount ladder?????????

MembersZone Subscriber

So Smeal is making a chassis now. Hmmm, I'll give it about 2 years to see if they stick with it and/or how they hold up. I suppose that the cab of this "new" chassis will be aluminum as is most of the competition. Are these going to be actually made in the corn fields of Nebraska or bought from CCC or some other cab maker who then farm them out to the "Cab builders" such as the case with Spartan? If Smeal is trying to impress people, come up with a stainless cab like Seagrave and Sutphen have to match the stainless bodies that Smeal is now getting into. By the way, how do you sell a stainless steel body to a customer and then turn around and attach it to an aluminum cab? Kind of defeats the purpose of the stainless body in the first place doesn't it? As for the Pierce Pack Mule hose bed, I detect a devoted Smeal fan being upset with them for developing anything that remotely resembles the famous Smeal EHL or whatever the slide out hose bed was called. It appears to be an entirely different concept from the Smeal version. But what do I know, after all I still like extruded aluminum cabs and bodies. As for the RK aerial, eventhough I am a true believer in aluminum aerials being better than steel, atleast RK (Rosenbauer) is trying to improve the rust situation by trying something different to combat the age old problem of steel aerials. We'll see if it works. And what about Seagrave and the "New" 104' LT? Hmmm. As mentioned before, its an RK aerial and platform with a different name on it and the chassis carrying it. And since "Close" business relationships were mentioned, lets not forget the "Close" ties of Sutphen and that little guy builder with a decent reputation, Precision. And what about this "Side Mount Aerial Ladder"? I say its in the warehouse with the 100' tillered ladder tower made by Sutphen a few years ago. LOL. Just some thoughts.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Sutphen was very tight lipped about it. All they would say was that the configuration made the length much less than any of their other aerials, and anyone else's. The "side mount ladder" comment was the only description I could come up with.

The tillered aerial is actually in pieces. If you are ever at the Sutphen factory that handles the sticks, walk between the last two warehouses. There (if it is still there) will be the trailer, minus the aerial.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smeals new "Single source" cab bears striking resemblance inside to our Ferrara Igniter, since FFA has been using Smeal aerials for a while now, I suspect its a little trade and probably the reason that they didn't buy the Pierce aerial design. they did an alright job disguising the Altair from the Inferno, but the interior gives it away...

-Nick

MembersZone Subscriber

FF43065, you ask about what will IAFC in New Orleans bring. Well here is my guess.

Pierce: Will still be pushing their new aluminum stick and Pack Mule hose bed, the redesigned Quantum, Arrow XT chassis and 40' display walls at the show. LOL.

E-One: A big push in the nuts and bolts, bread and butter, what pays the bills type of rigs that the average, smaller departments buy. Maybe another 117' Bronto on display as well as a tele-boom.

KME: Same ole, same ole with an emphasis on the big rescue rigs and a typical tillered quint for the left coast, I mean west coast. LOL.

Smeal: Big push of the Altair chassis and atleast one quint to push their EHL to combat the Pierce Pack Mule. Would like to see a lights out situation to see how the rung lighting really works. LOL.

Sutphen: Lets see, a 70', 90' and 100' MM ladder tower and something about a new 5 section device design. And lets not forget their new stainless steel body line.

Seagrave: Continued push of the disguised RK ladder tower in an attempt to gain market credibility. And lets not forget the Concorde chassis, whatever their new program rigs are and atleast one 95' scope.

Rosenbaeur/General/RK: Will actually have a finished Minneapois aerial for the show. LOL.

Metz: Like every other show will be holding something in the air from their crane, oops I mean aerial with removable platform and limited compartment space.

AI: Hmmm. There still in business? LOL. Kidding with no idea on them.

Spartan: The Evolution chassis as would be expected to battle the redesigned Quantum.

Crimson: Their aluminum body and mounting system and its somewhat unique body options.

HME: Pushing their chassis to other builders.

FFA: The Inferno and Igniter and Smeal aerial line. Nothing really earth shattering.

ALF/LTI: The Eagle line. Another Phoenix rig and the wonderful availbility of parts from the Freightliner dealer network. LOL. Also LTI will be well represented with a variety of aerials, the "new" MM 100' LT and another tiller to increase the takeover of the steel aerial market since Pierce is no longer a devoted steel aerial builder.

These are just some ideas on the matter. Just a thought.

Stay low and move it in.
    Last edited by STATION2; 05-07-2004 at 10:37 PM.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

And 40' display walls at the show.
    What wall....?

MembersZone Subscriber

No, stop. Take down the picture. The glare coming off that bright, shiny aluminum aerial is blinding. LOL. Is that a ..., could it be a ..., it must be a .....................Pierce attempt to copy a real aerial manufacturer. Thats right, E-One. LOL. Just had to throw that in there. The real proof will be when they engineer their 100' variety. Thats when we'll see if they are serious about aluminum aerials and have spent the money for an equally simple and proven outrigger system as E-One. Just some thoughts.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber SafetyLighting's Avatar

Boy, ff43065, you are a real "glass is half full" kinda guy huh? LOLOLOL, were you impressed with anything at the show? Anyone have any pics of new cab interiors?
    John D. Cummings
    Safety Lighting and Equipment
    Rehoboth MA
    508-379-6013
    www.safetylightingandequipment .com
    sales@safetylightingandequipme nt.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Best cab interior component...

MembersZone Subscriber

HFDCLanger,

What is that for???

A place to keep sodas and sandwiches?!!?!?

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Anybody see the new Sutphen 75' mid-mount "climbing" ladder? Has a lower overall height than their box-beam aerial ladder, is rated at 1000 lbs. instead of 500 lbs., and has a pinnable waterway. Anybody have pictures they can post?

whoops it is over here too !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

From last year though....

right ..........no sense in creating a new thread ........just add to it............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Talking Thread Police

I am truly sorry but I did not take the free tour of "thread etiquette 101" when I signed on. I think the webteam should ban me from the forums.

You have 5000+ posts
    I have under 25 posts

People, some unknowingly like myself, start new threads.

IT IS OKAY MAN, LET IT GO!!!

Thread Information