Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hobart, Indiana

MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

Default Hobart, Indiana

We are in desperate need of people with a fire service background.

We have hired a lot of people who were working transfer service only, then right into emergency EMS who were and still are apprehensive about fighting fire. Because of staffing if you are riding the meatwagon you are gonna be one of the guys going inside or on the roof.

The only stipulation is you have to be a paramedic or in medic school to apply and be in the local system no later than 120 days after appointment.

http://www.city.hobart.in.us/Fire%20...me%20Pages.htm

http://www.city.hobart.in.us/Fire%20...me%20Pages.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

fieldseng2-
    I am currently a paramedic with Tri-Creek EMS in nearby Lowell and have 8 years of volunteer service (6 with Lake Dale/2 with Lowell). I have been considering the move to a career dept however I have heard some different things through the grapevine that aren't always positive about Hobart. I guess staffing concerns and getting stuck on the ambulance forever are the two biggest worries. I know a few guys up there (one a medic, the other a FF/EMT) and they say there are pros and cons just like everywhere else. I took Hobart's test in '98 and was wondering if it has changed much. I placed in the middle of that list 6 years ago and never received a call probably due to the fact that I was just an EMT then. I have been a medic now for 4-1/2 years. Oh and one more concern is getting into the Methodist system coming from St. Anthony's system, I have heard some horror stories about that also. Still trying to make up my mind, just thought I would get your opinion. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

First off let me say we do have some hard working, dedicated, but frustrated group of excellent firefighters and paramedics.

I know what Hobart's reputation is, I know what the heart of our problems are, and all I have to say to anyone ouside of the HFD who groups all of us as a bunch of dim-witted, ****-poor firefighters...I invite them to come and walk in our shoes for a while. We over come impossible odds, and ONE guy/gal ALWAYS has to do the work of 2 or 3...staffing is still a MAJOR problem...yes we still run TWO on a rig..I know all to well how pethetic that is..and to be honest.......I dont see the light at the end of that tunnel!

From what I understand (Im just an EMT) the head honchos (EMS) at Methodist had a changing of the guard a few years ago..since you are already an Indiana paramedic I believe all you have to do is precept into the system..our EMS Director would be more than helpful to get you thru that. And yes if you are a paramedic you probably will be doing at lot of time on the box...the trade off to that is lots of nozzle time, because the guys on the box are considered the crew 'riding backwards'...We have been trying for years to stockpile paramedics so they can switch off.

We must have just missed calling your name. We hired several guys off that list. It had nothing to do with you being an EMT, we hire in the order you rank..period. That was the last time we opened aps to everyone. Ever since its been paramedics only, and it doesnt look like thats going to change anytime soon.

I really don't want to discourage anyone from applying, it is still the greatest job in the world. But I must admit some of the more frustrated guys looking to make a career out of this business are looking elsewhere...including yours truly.

Since the City does not have to bargain with us, we have no contract (God knows Im trying!) so policy, procedure, working conditions, and benefits can be changed at anytime. And often they are!

SO...to sum it all up. I congratulate anyone who wants to be a career firefighter..I wouldnt trade it for the world. TEST ANYWHERE AND EVERYWHERE! It gets you experience and find out where your weaknesses are. No one said you have to take a job thats offered to you. And no one said you have to stay put even with over 10 years on the job!
    Some FDs allow laterals especially if you are a paramedic.

I could go on and on. If you have a specific question feel free to email me. Ill help ya where I can.

fieldseng2
    email: fieldseng2@firehousemail.com

Thread Information