Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Regulations to be a Driver

Question - I can't seem to find the right answer hopefully someone here will know. - I'm a Fulltime Career F.F./EMT for a Vollie Company in Delaware - Because I live out of State {NJ} There is some question as to if I can drive the Delaware Fire Apparatus. - I'm currently Certified in NJ which requires no CDL Classification just a simple Class D Auto License. - My own opinion is that the company I work for just doesn't want us {5 Career Personnel} as drivers and to mainly stick to the Ambulance which they have no problem with us driving - They are telling us that we must have CDL to Operate Fire Apparatus is this actually true ? or are they blowing smoke up our as**s ? we've been battling since Jan. 1 and keep getting excuse after excuse

Is there a Federal Mandate possibly NFPA that excempts CDL Classification? - I've been searching but I can't seem to find the right wording

Check the state's regulations. My guess is that it's probably a company policy.

-H
    "The uniform you wear was given to you. The respect that comes with it must be earned."

Heretic
    Lieutenant
    Vermont

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe that the laws vary from state to state. My understanding is that Maryland used to require a CDL, but changed the law this past summer to allow a valid license and formal in-house training. Our company (volunteer) policy still requires a CDL. I got my CDL a couple of years ago and plan on keeping it now. I would recommend going ahead and getting the CDL. The company may pay for the cost of testing and the physical. Mine also let me use the engine for the driving portion of the test.

Forum Member

Thanks...It's looking like each state is diffrent. - I had herd that NFPA 1002 had an amendment made several years back making a CDL not a requirement and that a regular Valid State DL was all that was required - Not sure how true that is and I have yet to actually see it in writing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Remember as much as we use it as a guide in the fire service, NFPA is not law.

In Texas the law is structured so that anyone may drive an apparatus to an emergency scene but you need a Class B exempt license (that is a class B for non commercial purposes) to drive the truck back to the station.

Thread Information