Question Flashlight Help: LED, Xenon?

Looking for some advice regarding a personal flashlight. I tried a search, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. If it's here somewhere I apologize. Just point me to it.

I'm hoping to find a good all around flashlight but not spend a fortune. My thoughts are some type of non-rechargable 3C or 4AA light. It seems there are lots of options out there, and I'm wondering what has the best smoke-cutting beam, battery life, etc.

Specifically, do you recommend LED lights or Xenon bulb?

A few options that I've been considering are the Streamlight 3C or 4AA Propolymer or or the Pelican Super Sabrelite or Stealthlite.

Thanks for your help!

I purchased one of the Streamlight 3C Pro-Polymer L.E.D. Flashlights. All I can say is that was the biggest waste of money ever. The light does not put out a beam at all. It doesnt really cut through smoke. Today I just order a Pelican Little Ed 4 AA flashlight. I am hoping It does better than the Streamlight. The only thing the Streamlight has going for it is that the batteries will last a really long time. Apperently Pelican's new LED flashlights are supposed to put out a better beam.
    These opinions are my own, not of my company or my affiliates

2 in, 2 Out, Pass on, Collar up, SHOW TIME!

Default Little Ed

Thanks for your opinions 881. The Little Ed caught my eye as well, so I will be curious to hear a review of that one when you get it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default LED vs Xenon flashlights

In my experience with Streamlight the LED (4AA) is better suited as
    a safety light (for you to BE seen). The Xenon (4aa) is much better to see with.
    I have heard of Led's with a more focused beam, but I have not seen them. If I run across own I will repost. I would prefer a focused led beam for battery life.

As far as quality comparison between Streamlight & Pelican, there are guys that have the Pelican and they love them, and I love my Streamlight products. Bottom line is , I have heard no complaints for either brand.

Good luck choosing !!

Forum Member

LED's dont produce a "beam" like other bulbs. It's more of a wide angle, light up the area thing. If your looking for something that cuts smoke, dont get an LED.

Dave

You should be able to get a streamlight survivor for just a little more than a light that takes c batts. They are a lot better light and for the price you will not be sorry.
    Everything that I post is my opinion only, none of this should be taken as fact.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

I would go with something with a Xenon bulb that is rechargeable, a little more money up front....but well worth it in the long run.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber

I managed to score a pair of Streamlight Survivors (older style), two chargers, a few extra bulbs and a couple of extra batteries on E-Bay a year or so ago for $100 and some change. Best money I ever spent. If you run down a fully charged battery, you've been on scene a LONG time. They were well used, but who cares? They've got character...

The department gave everyone a 4AA LED unit at our banquet (Streamlight, Pelican, who knows) that lasts forever battery life wise, but the beam stinks. Supposedly some of the newer LED units are better, but I've yet to see it.

I like the hands free aspect of clipping the Survivor on your gear, and have never liked a light mounted to the side of my helmet, for balance and getting tangled in crap reasons.

Just my opinion.

--Joel

Forum Member

I've got a streamlight Stealth, 4AA with a helmet mount love it I also have a cheap 2 AA light with a clip for seeing in those areas that the helmet mount doesn't point to.

I have looked at the LEDs and have not seen a good focused beam LED yet.

Permanently Removed

Default Love my light...

LOVE my two Pelican 3C Super Sabre lights. Heavy duty
    and very BRIGHT. Plus the lifetime warranty is nice to
    have. Lots on Ebay. I highly recommend it with just
    the regular bulb. Check out their website at
    www.pelican.com ...Bou
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 05-09-2004 at 02:18 AM.

Forum Member

my buddy just got an LED flashlight, what a waste of money, it dosent light up anything worth seeing in the dark. he tried lighting somthing up for me the other night so i could see what i was doing, and i was still straining to see what the hell i was doing.
    put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

EMT
    Firefighter
    Hazmat Tech.
    911 EMD dispatcher
    IPN Dispatcher

Forum Member

We have a neighboring dept switch all the helmet lites to LED, We were on a call and noted no reach with the lights, Very wide beam, due to the almost pure white, the beam just bounced back in the steam and smoke and you saw nothing.

The worst was the blinding effect they had any time they turned and talked to you, total destruction of your vision. Yeah they get a hundred hours out of a set of batteries, but other then leaving a big red dot in the middle of your vision there useless.

MembersZone Subscriber

We discussed this issue about LEDs last night, and a couple of the guys on my department have bought some of LED lights with an incredibly bright blue tinted LED. After their use last weekend while drilling some new recruits in a burn tower, they were very impressed. Seemed to cut through the smoke very well. Anyone use anything like this yet?

--Joel

Forum Member

If you are going to be using it frequently, STAY AWAY FROM LITHIUM BATTERIES You will bankrupt yourself. They are 2 for $12. I had a surefire 9P and mine used 3 batteries. I used it at work all the time and was going through batteries every 2 weeks. Now it was the brightest flashlight I ever saw that was hand sized. If you are just going to stick it in your turnouts and use it occasionaly You can't beat lithiums, they last forever. I just pulled mine out after storing it for 2 years and the light was just as bright as when I put it away.
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Love my light...

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
    LOVE my two Pelican 3C Super Sabre lights. Heavy duty
    and very BRIGHT. Plus the lifetime warranty is nice to
    have. Lots on Ebay. I highly recommend it with just
    the regular bulb. Check out their website at
    www.pelican.com ...Bou
    I have to agree on this one. If you don't want to spend the money for a rechargable light, these Pelicans are fantastic. Very affordable for anybody, and are a great "fire" light. I have two also, and have literally beaten the hell out of them. They work just as well today as the day they were purchased. Check out Ebay and Firestore.com They tend to have the best prices.
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for your opinions. The Pelican Super Sabrelite seems to be at the top of the list for now. I have been hoping someone would have some experience with the Streamlight TwinTask lights (combination Xenon and LED). It seems like this would be a good solution, but I don't see any safety ratings for these lights. Does anyone know if they are coming?

Still checking on eBay for a good deal on something rechargable, but the prices are still a bit high. Maybe I'll find something yet.

Thanks again all. Stay safe!!

MembersZone Subscriber

just went shopping yesterday for a light and the pelicon is what what i walked away with. it has a better beam of light, you can see more with it and was just a overall better light, not to mention cheeper.

like someone said before, the pelicon is better to see stuff, the streamlight is better to be seen.

MembersZone Subscriber

Did a search when you sugested the twin task lights. Came across this interesting site. May be worth a look prior to purchace.

http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/index1.html
    WILD MAN
    www.whitehorsecombat.com
    "Toughest two minutes in sports!"
    If you want to be hard - you have to train hard!

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a Petzl Tikka headlamp that I use to clean my barn in the early morning and love it for that purpose - wide, very white light, batteries last forever. However, I can get lost on a foggy morning trying to get to the barn because LED's do not penetrate smokey, dusty, or foggy atmospheres. For firefighting conditions the Xenon lights are far superior. I have four different Pelican lights - Big Ed (replaced the now defunct Laser Flex) and the Super Sabre light in both my TOG and US&R gear. The company stands firmly behind their products with prompt attention to the customer.

MembersZone Subscriber

As stated before, LED works like a screen door on a submarine in the smoke. Xenon bulbs are the best. Working in both Law Enforcement and Fire/EMS, I can say anything by Streamlight has proven itself over and over again.

Cheapest I have found for flashlights and the like:

www.brightguy.com

Keep your head down and your powder dry.

Thread Information