Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Goggle Mounting

Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Default Goggle Mounting

I've been thinking about purchasing some ESS goggles for extrication and grass fires, which mounting method do you prefer? They will be mounted to a helmet dedicated for these tasks.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

back home for the first time in MANY years

I use the ESS Innerzone Twos for structural firefighting and rescue applications: snap-on, snap-off goggles; brackets that mount on the helmet rim. The pull tabs on the straps are long enough that they're not hard to utilize, even when you're gloved up. The system allows me to store my goggles on the front or back of my helmet when I've not got them on, or I can take them off the helmet completely and secure them elsewhere (pocket, in the helmet, etc.). I'm pretty pleased with how they've worked out.

Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Are those the ones that the bracket stays on the helmet and the straps have eyelets that slide over the brackets?
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

I have the type that are mounted perminently on the helmet. I wish I would have got the type with the eyelets that can be removed or put on the back of the helemet when not in use. I highly recommend goggles over eyeshields. I was alway getting some ashes up under my eyeshield at grass fires, but now with the goggles I do not have that problem.

We have the same set-up as ranahan. ESS goggles that snap on and off

Originally posted by arhaney
    Are those the ones that the bracket stays on the helmet and the straps have eyelets that slide over the brackets?
    Yes, those are the ones. Just a couple of allen screws on the brackets to secure them to the helmet, and snap on the goggles.......

Default DONT MOUNT THEM!!!!!

Every firefighter in my career dept (about 60) were recently issued ESS goggles. A nice set of goggles indeed. The Fire Chief issued a letter with them stating that he expected them to be used appropriately. He went on to say we had two options- mount them precisely as stated in the manufacturer's instructions, or if we desired, we could keep our shields and keep the goggles in our pockets (not using our shields as a replacement for the goggles). I was one of about a half dozen guys that opted for the pants pocket method. When questioned by my bretheren, all I said was "just wait." We average 2-3 good working fires a month. Well, I didnt have to wait long. One set got partially melted. One set had the strap melt. About a dozen sets had that carbony-black crap deposited on them so badly, that the lenses could no longer be cleaned totally.

Bottom line......I expect for the chief to issue a letter any day now rescinding his previous letter, and expect him to issue orders to remove them from the helmets and put in pockets.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

with Hanrahan and '77 !!!!!!! thats the way to go !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

back home for the first time in MANY years

Originally posted by arhaney
    Yep, that's the ones, and I'm very fond of them. The nice thing about being able to remove the goggles is that, by putting them some place secure, the lenses don't get scratched quite so much.

I have the ESS goggles on my leather, and use the snap on, snap off attachment method. Works quite well, normally they are stored on the back of my helmet, any time I am going to a structure fire I will take them off and put them some place safe in the apparatus. MVAs and brush fires they are on my face.
    I have had them for two years now and they are still very useable, very few scratches.

(Hey this is my 1000th post!)
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

digging up an old thread here but but with the ESS innerzone 2 goggle system is it still NFPA compliant????

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2230
    digging up an old thread here but but with the ESS innerzone 2 goggle system is it still NFPA compliant????
    Its my understanding that all three of the InnerZone options are NFPA compliant for structural operations. I'd have to go read the standard to be sure, but I don't think there's anything in there about how the goggle mount, only the construction/materials used.

The XTricator version (the one with the red side panels) is not intended for interior structural use. If you look, the straps are a different material and the lens does not have the NFPA stamp. The XTricators are intended for just basic eye protection on MVAs and such.

The StrikeTeam goggles are similar for brush use. They also don't have an NFPA stamp on the lens.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

Ok thanks for the help SafetyPro

Thread Information