Default Advice on getting into shape needed.

I'm not new to the fire service, I've been a volunteer for about 5 yrs. Mainly I just helped out and had training from my station. Truth is sad to say, but yes I am a out of shape stay at home. Since my children have grown older over the years I am more available to do something for me. SO I did it, I took my FF1 class, and passed 4th in highest scores. I was the only female in the class, and I didn't have a hard time of things, the guys accepted me well, and was very helpful and respectful. I din't realize how out of shape I was until I class started. I tried getting myself in shape during that time but I have a ways to go. OUr department runs much more EMS than anything else so I guess it never dawned on me. Well to make a long story short, with the weather gettting warmer I have more chance to get out and exercise, what is some of the best way to help pre-pare myself. I have discovered going thru the class that I really enjoyed it and was good at it. Thing is I want to be better, I also want to get my FF2 and keep moving forward and get my EMT basic and medic. I realize to do this I have to get in better shape physically. Anyone got any ideas to help me. I live in the country and walking is tops on my list now that summer is around the corner.

MembersZone Subscriber

What are you looking for, just some information on a workout? How to gain muscle, endurance, loose fat, etc?

Also, what type of workout equipment is available to you?

Walking is great, but you may want to throw in a 30 second sprint for every minute of walking (e.g. walk; sprint; walk; sprint). Keep this up for about 40 minutes and you will have a good cardio workout.

Although this is great, strength and endurance are also key elements. You need to be strong enough to do the job and you must be able to do it for a long time if needed.

Most departments run more EMS than fire, but that does not mean you should not be prepared for fires. Actually, I find it better to fit to perform my duties for firefighting, and let it carryover to the medical runs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Congradulations

Both EMS and Fire require a lot of bending over and picking things up

If you build the muscles at your mid section, you will end up with a lot less chance of lower back injuries. Situps, crunches, romans, etc. Do you have any steps at your fd? A good thing to do might be to put on your bunkers and turnout, put on your scba, and walk up and down the steps.

As mentioned, the cardio portion is very important. A good walking or running, or treadmill, stepper, exercise bike, something to elevate your heartrate several times per week. This will keep the excess lbs off and the heart strong.

Do you want to resistance or weight train? find excercises that are as similar to what you do in fd ops and try to approximate it.

Can you do what needs done? Drag the hose through the tough places? Can you go up a ladder carrying a section of dry hose?

Does you dept have fitness standards?

I am able to do all that was required of me, loading hose, dragging line, going up and down the ladders etc... I just want to do it better. Also I have been really sick and was on steriods for over a month so I know I am alot weaker than what I was, and I do need to shedd a few pounds as well. Our department does not have a physical fittness qualification. We are in short supply of memebers. However I have never had any trouble pulling my share of the load. I did well in class on every part including the physical stuff. We don't have stairs at our department, but I do have them in my home and could gear up and go up and down them. Thanks for the advice i'v gotten so far. I am hoping to get a program formyself up and running by Sunday. So all information is very usful.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Was I getting too carried away

But whatever you do as far as fitness, it should help you in your life away from the vfd

MembersZone Subscriber

Mike Stefano's book is a good place to start. As far as women's fitness issues, I'd recommend Energy for Women.

Eric

Forum Member

Stairs, stairs, stairs and when you're done you'll want to hit the stairs.

Forum Member

I do a lot of cardio.....Run daily around the block (roughly 30 minute run),ride my bike,go on treadmills etc.....Work out using weights and also doing push-ups crunchs etc, for about an hour a day...I try to spread it out doing upper body monday,wednesday,friday and sunday..Lower body Tuesday Thursday and Saturday..All depends on my schedual..Its not much but I find it helps me in the long run...
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by asnyder
    Stairs, stairs, stairs and when you're done you'll want to hit the stairs.
    I didn't feel like running yesterday, so I took your advice and went to the tallest building in my city (15 stories). Climbed the entirety a couple of times and then did sprint/walk intervals. Wow. Now I know what I've been missing. I just wish I had a weight vest to simulate fire conditions better. Anybody have an old one they want to sell? (I'd hate to see the shipping charges on that though).

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by dixieladyff
    We don't have stairs at our department, but I do have them in my home and could gear up and go up and down them.
    Be careful taking equipment home and wearing it at home. Remember that our turnouts get contaminiated all the time, especially boots. If you wear them at home, you are bringing all that into your home.

You stated you want to loose weight and gain strength. It has been my experience that you really need to focus on one aspect at a time. First loose the weight that you need. But don't starve yourself doing it. Determine the calories you need per day, and then plan your meals. Try to eat more protein and less carb (refined sugar). Be sure you take a multi-vitaman every day, along with some type of essential fatty acid (fish oil pills are best for this). Also, increase cardio training. Try to work 40-50 minutes per day, but only for 4-5 days per week. Do some weight training also. Just something to help you keep the muscle you have and not really build anymore...just yet.

Once you get your weight down, you can focus on building strength. Talk to a trainer about putting a program together that you can follow with the equipment you have. But do not forget out nutrition. You can probably increase the carbs, but also lower the protein so you are not over eating.

I am not a trainer, but I have been working out and learning for about 3 years now. Before I volunteered, I weighed over 300 pounds and had about 50% body fat. I am not about 240 with 28% body fat.

If you want some more information and or ideals, leave me a private message with your e-mail and what you want to know. I can also help you figure your calories and macro-nutrient (protien, carbs, fat) that you will need to loose and/or maintain weight.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by VollieFireman

It has been my experience that you really need to focus on one aspect at a time.

I am not a trainer,
    Although this poster has the best intentions, I'm sorry, but it is wrong. I have a degree in Exercise Science and it is very realistic to lose fat and gain muscle. I've done it and I've helped many friends to do it. If you're really serious about this, get Body For Life and follow it. Contained in that book is all that you need to kick yourself into shape. There are also hundreds of examples of men and women who have changed their lives and gained muscle while losing fat.

Eric

Thread Information