Way to go Officer Lant!
--------------

Injured officer foils theft in Detroit ER

The Associated Press
5/6/2004, 10:52 a.m. CT

DETROIT (AP) -- A public safety officer being treated for a knee injury at a hospital emergency room foiled a fellow patient's apparent attempt to steal a watch from an unconscious patient.

James Lant, 59, was at Henry Ford Hospital on Tuesday after hurting his knee while fighting a house fire. He said he watched as the fellow patient shook the man lying on a gurney to see whether he was awake.

When the unconscious patient didn't respond, Lant said the man pulled back the sheet covering the man, stuffed the watch into the front of his pants and rolled over before pretending to be asleep.

"It was almost like for a second, I questioned my senses. It was so smooth," Lant, an officer in Highland Park, told the Detroit Free Press. "I could see the whole thing happening right before my eyes."

Soon after, Lant said the man reached over to the other gurney and slipped his hand in the unconscious man's pocket. At that point, Lant called for security and identified himself as an officer.

Tyrone Allen, 41, of Detroit, was taken to a lockup in the hospital's basement after being treated for an undisclosed ailment.

He was arraigned Wednesday in 36th District Court on a larceny charge and released on bond. A preliminary examination was set for May 17.

There was no telephone listing for Allen in Detroit.