Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Cool What do you get to do when riding?

Just wondering what you fellow cadets and juniors get to do when your riding. I'm guessing if your in the boonies you respond to your local fire station and go out on a call. I myslef go to my local firehouse, in the city, and work around there then wait for my calls. When I ride any of the fire trucks I usually stick with the driver and help him out, unless my officer says I can go with him. When I'm on the Engine/Rescue I can get cribbing set up for and extrication, get the saw-zaws ready, get airbags prepped to use, start up the chainsaws, set up lights, set up ladders, flank out the hose, get the essential tools for the guys, change bottles, and of course... get the water ready. On the Ladder, I can do all the same(except cribbing sence there is none)set fans up, get the hose to the hydrant and get it hooked up and charge the line, and I can get the jacks set up for the tower to be used, and go with the ladder crew to get the food to be cooked and then hepl cook it. When I'm on the medic I can get the kits, get stuff set up, and push the cot around, Oh and I get to help lift really obese people. But thats about it. I'm not alowed to go in the burning building, I'm allowed to do overhaul of course, but thats about it. Stay by the truck and help get stuff ready.

This has been talked about so many times before. Use the search feature! I'm sure you can find a few topics that will be useful.

Come on now..He's newww..

I could do anything but enter hotzone..Period
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Pretty much what you said, we can do a few more things, its all that you said, just a little bit more, things were different when we were Junior FF's, but the whole Explorer thing, what can I say.
    IACOJ

I could do everything but enter a hotzone and do ventilation..But those days have since gone by..
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

ndvfdff33, did you notice that you posted twice?
    IACOJ

Red face can't help ya there

we don't ride

Well son of a monkeys uncle..I did too

Ryan

When I ride I usally like to have the girl on the back,kick it into 5th visor up and cruise into the mountains.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

we do the same thing we can also work a hose line on the out side of the structure. we also put out alot of grass fires too.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Default New?!?!?!

I'm not new I just post alot. And I haven't seen these posts before either. But I do appreciate you guys replying to this.

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here is a schedule / breakdown
    I am in a large city FD
    Rides can go from 0800-2200
    I ride 0800-2000
    0800-arive, get gear ready / inspect, place near unit.
    -help the driver do the unit check, wash truck, inspect scba's and notify officer of any problems / refills that need to be done.
    -pay in for the days meals
    -clean the station-I usualy vacum(cant spell that word) and mop out the bay
    -help with anything that needs to be done during the day, cooking, cleaning, training, pr's

on calls
    medicals-I usualy help carying the equip, and help the als units when they arive with equip and cot.

fires-stay with either the officer, driver, or BC. I am a gopher, geting things, helping ffs with scba, sometimes operate a exterior 2 1/2 line (once in a blue moon).

Mvas-same as fire, gopher.
    any other calls-stay with driver and do whatever the officer says

Expvol, I do exactly what you do. Thats all I was trying to get too is see how many people get to do something like that. Except where i ride it's 07:30-20:00. But thank you guys for replying to this.

Stephen

0630-Arrive at Sta. 71
    0730- Go on duty (Check out Engine/Squad, replace missing items, do check on EMS equipt. in engine, get gear set up as I want, get my radio hooked up, change batteries, pay for chow)
    0900-1200 Go to store, help make breakfast, eat, and clean up
    1200-1500 Nap, read, watch TV
    1500-1600 Do modified version of the "Firefighter Combat Challenge"
    1600-1700 Work out (lift, run, etc.)
    1700-2000 Shower, eat, clean up, sweep and mop floors, and relax until ride comes.

On Calls-
    Rescue-get Pt. info, haul bags, help like and position victim on board/stretcher, get equipt. ready for usage, take BPs
    MVA- Get C-Spine ready, get backboard, help County FR with stretcher, same as Rescue calls
    Structure Fire- Help pull and flake out hose lines, get SCBA bottles ready, get cooler ready, pull tools off and bring them to FFs, help the D/E with any task he needs, help with hydrant connections, help w/ overhaul, change out SCBA bottles
    Brush Fire- Maaby get some nozzle time , look for hot spots, flake out lines.
    Other Fire- If I`m lucky, get nozzle time, help D/E with duties
    Duties differ if I`m with Truck 74
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

i forgot to put the times we can ride.

Mon-Thurs: 1405-2200hrs
    Fri: 1405-0000hrs
    Sat: 0500-0000hrs
    Sun: 0500-2200hrs
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

BLSboy what is your explorer post number?

Thread Information