Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seatbelts

Lightbulb all in good fun ............

Maybe they have to vote on them (SOGs') ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

I always wear my seatbelt. It is irresponsible not to wear one. However, I wish manufacturers of fire apparatus would human factor engineer a pulldown "nurf" bars for firefighters. Similar to the padded rollercoasters' bar. Make them so they cinch down tightly even over the gear and about the waist. This would prevent belt cluttering (confused with SCBA belt) and speed up the process. The apparatus driver could see a indicator panel to show that all bars are cinched properly prior to moving the apparatus. A well designed and tested pulldown bar would go along ways in making everyone happy and safe,.... I pray. THANKS
    Anything Goes!

"I have no ambition in ths world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position in the eyes of some, may appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us, and stimulates us to do deeds of daring, even of supreme sacrafice." ---- Edward F. Crocker Cheif of Department FDNY 1899-1911

my personnal feeling is that seat belts should be worn at all times.

and i would like to see the manufactures put a no start saftey switch on the new trucks if the seat belts are not extended and fastened, the truck gose no were.

people have all kinds of excuses for not wearing seat belts and one of the biggest is, it's my life and my business, not yours.
    well it is if you are severly injured and have to go to a long term care facuilty. it becomes my concern when you're money and insurance runs out and the state (my money) has to start to pay for you're care

and what about if they have a family how do tell someone that daddys a veggie,because nobody is going to tell him what to do.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

Default ALWAYS!

I engineer our departments heavy Rescue rig on C shift and I always utilize my seatbealt, and I will NOT roll the rig untill ALL are buckled, which has caused a few heated exchanges between myself and my Captain. Anyway, thanks to our written SOG's I always prevail! But it would be really nice if the mfg's would design a belt arrangement that can be easily distinguished from your SCBA straps and buckles...especially at 0300 in the AM.

"So tell me sir...just how did you get your leg caught in that position?"

Permanently Removed AsstEngineer292's Avatar

Well I also engineer my department and well for one we just got a new truck, but no one I physically see wears their DAMN seatbelt. Now, our truck is tacked out at 72 MPH, due to highway MVAs most of the time we get possible DOA but the top speed we go is 70 because 70 is fast enough when comse other ignorant drivers ignore the truck and don't "See" the firetruck. Anyway back to the subject, When I go to the station i gear up, get in the truck and if the trucks ready to roll i gear up on the way, like putting the pack on and helmet because I refuse to get into the truck w/o jacket and bunker pants on because, it's mandatory that we have the jacket and pants on before we get onto the truck because it's so big inside we can finsih up on the way to the scene. Everytime we leave the station I say put the seatbelts on, out of a 6 man crew excluding myself, 2 people wear them, Myself and my father who drives 80% of the time since no one else is normally around to drive and even sometimes he doesn't wear it. Now, if you remember on the Philadelphia News stations, a squirt form Phila. Aiport was on their way back to the station but was dispacthed to a call, they turned around in the middle of the interstate in an Emergency U-TURN SPOT, but they were allowed ot use it because it was an emergency but, THEY NEVER TURNED ON THE WARNING LIGHTS OR SIRENS to warn the other traffic, thus they got slammed by an 18-wheeler and the officer got ejected ,why?, didn't wear his seatbnelt, so there you go, you NEVR know if the seatbelt will save you from i jury or just keep you safe INSIDE the truck.

Be safe, wear your seatbelts..for everyones sake.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wear mine, and it doesn't seem to slow my response out of the vehicle. It comes second nature, since I always buckle up in the POV.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default seat belts

just think if you do get hurt or die from not wearing your seat belt you bills or funeral might not get paid. cause i know if you get hurt on a fire scene and you dont have your proper ppe you have to fend for yourself.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default seatbelts

I totally agree 100% seatbelts should be worn. Why do you think manufactures have started making seatbelts red in apparatus? So the B-Chief or D-Chief can see if your wearing your seatbelts when he or she passes you...Food for thought

Forum Member

As an engineer in a very progressive department (policies)we are not allowed move the apparatus without everyone "down and In" seatbelts. But recently it has become game with the hose monkeys in back. My Officer sits there and thinks its funny. So, we will be having a chat about getting his support in enforcing dept. policy on seatbelt use. Why is it that we as humans get so damn complacent? Then when something goes wrong "oh my God we got to start doing this" We should be doing it all the time. I get labeled as being anal retentive engineer cause of this........but I'M TAKING EVERYONE HOME WITH ME THAT RODE WITH ME TO THE INCIDENT, EVEN IF THAT IS IN A TOW TRUCK.
    Enough said about this,
    Scottsfire

PS....Oh one other thing......what good is a seatbelt if you have unsecured equipment flying around in your cab during a collision. When I'm driving I don't let my firefighters put their helmets on the ledge right behind my head. I make sure that if envolved in a head on and survive it that nothing behind me hits me and kills me. I'm sure you have all heard tales of the person killed in a head on by a tissue box.
    Last edited by Scottsfire; 04-30-2005 at 04:17 PM.

Thread Information