Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seatbelts

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Seatbelts

Is anyone else outraged about the last few weeks. Since the fatal accident involving the Stone Park engine a total of three brothers have lost their lives because they were not wearing seatbelts. Also on a local note a Saint Charles firefighter died, off duty, in a single car MVC after being ejected.
    Four firefighters will never answer the call. Four departments are forever effected by stupidity.
    Do everyone a favor WEAR YOUR SEATBELT, if your an officer or driver don't move the rig unless everyone is seated and belted.
    We, of all people, should never die like this.

Thumbs up

I'll tip my hat that that one!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

I Wear my seatbelt, I tested it, It goes on with my pack on, I usualy try to have the pack straps on before we roll out, then I belt up.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Default seat belts

As a back-up driver I don't move the truck until everyone is belted in. BUCKLE UP it's not worth the risk not to.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

The Hose Company/Ambulance Corps. which I drive full time for really stresses the point that the use of seat belts in all our vehicles is manditory for everyone. Get caught without your belt on and you get written up... three write ups and you are on an unscheduled vacation.
    I mean it only makes sense. I've lost track of the times that our tones have dropped for Rescue and an Ambulance to go to a MVA with "roll over and ejection".
    We of all people should understand the importance of buckeling up when we hit the road.

I don't understand the reasoning for NOT wearing a seat belt.

I've never been to an ejection that has left a pretty image in my mind. We pick up the pieces after these incidents, yet many still prefer not to wear 'em
    Luke

I never used to wear mine in the Engine, but always have in the ambulances and Mini-Pumpers. I have gotten into the habit of wearing it in the engine now. Actually it's so much of a habit that I reach for them all the time in our 1977 Tele-Squrt that doesn't even have them........

MembersZone Subscriber

At liest we aren't the only ones not wearing a seatbelt.

Chicago Police Officer Michael Gordon died after being ejected in a MVC. Their car was struck by a drunk driver. Both officers were not wearing seatbelts.

Amazing since it is the law in Illinois.

Forum Member

Default lights?

They have warning lights in the front of the cabs to tell you that a door is open, why not put one that signals an unbuckled seatbelt, (witha weight sensor) so an empty seat wont set off the light.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

or even a light board or something in front of the officer...wieght sensorors would be a bit "fragile" for the fire truck...in my opinion. Bottom line, wear em.

Default seatbelts save lives

Anyone not wearing their seatbelt in a motor vehicle is asking to die. I had a good friend who was in a horrible car crash. The only thing that saved him was his seat belt.

I believe it is even more important that EMS providers and Firefighters wear their seatbelts becuase of the simple fact that if we get hurt or die on our way to an emergancy because we were not wearing our seatbelts then who is going to respond.

The rule is, keep yourself safe first. Just wear your seatbelt it makes sense and you're setting an example to your partners as well as the people who depend on your services.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a subject that is causing great concern with me. I am a member of a Combination Department, where I am a volunteer and also a member of a paid department. With the vollies there is almost 100% seatbelt usage and with the paid department, some of who think they are better than the vollies, we have about 20% seatbelt usage. This despite the laws and SOP's stating it is a must. While on duty at my paid department I as a firefighter often ask the others on the truck if they have seatbelts fastened. Often they say yes but it is not on. They tend to pass it off and sometimes get annoyed at me. With the Combination department where I am a Lieutenant it is rarely the case that anyone must be reminded to put on a seatbelt. Even though it is looked down upon by the NFPA, OSHA, and other safety organizations, we do don SCBA while enroute. This happens with both departments I am with however, with the combination department we have been teaching guys to don the SCBA while seatbelted. This takes a little practice. I often put on at least the shoulder straps before buckleing up, since I am wide at the shoulders donning with the belt on is more difficult. I try to set an example by using my belt at all times but need more help to convince others of the importance. The officers who should set the example are not acting as leaders in this important phase of safety. I have taught driver safety at both departments and have stressed the importance and sited several fatal apparatus accidents with ejections. Still it does not hit home with the so called paid professionals. The one person who said he will not move the apparatus while driving untill everyone has buckled up is not a bad idea but if an officer is ordering you to get moving what can you do? You risk getting written up, but can you win with an appeal to have it stricken from the records since it involves the seatbelt issue? I have even had officers don their SCBA and pull out of the bracket obstructing my view to my right. If anyone has any ideas how I can get the point across please do so.

Let me start out by saying, I'm not a firefighter. I do however have something to add to this discussion. I always have worn my seatbelt. I have put trust in this safety device. Last year, however, I experienced a loss due to the malfunction of the belt itself. A close family friend was killed in a car accident after being ejected from her car. She was wearing her seatbelt. The investigators all said the circumstances were unusual. It was a stormy morning in the middle of winter and she wasn't driving more than 30 mph. She must have hit an ice patch because the car headed for the ditch and rolled. She was ejected and there was evidence her seatbelt had been enabled at the time. She was DOA. I don't know if this reply is interesting to anyone out there, but I know I don't always feel safe just because I'm wearing my seatbelt. In fact, seatbelts have been documented as the cause of death in some incidents. God bless you, Pixie!

MembersZone Subscriber FirefighterLong's Avatar

Lightbulb

I won't roll untill everyone is buckled up!

Make sure your boys know they need to take the extra 30sec to bunk up before jumping into the rig. I much rather let the fire grow a little then have one of my brothers/sisters die on the way there or back.

Take time to make time.
    Proud Volunteer Firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Seatbelts

Having taught EVOC for ten years now and constantly drove home the point of the use of seatbelts it continues to plauge the service. One thought is that we feel invensible, that is, We in our big red trucks can't be injured or killed, Obviously that is not a true. The other thought is that any change has to start at the top and follow down the chain of command. We as officers have to take the lead on this one and enforce it to those who wish to make it a choice.I will tell you what I tell every class. Forget that Captain Bell is standing before you today. Today I am B. Bell just a regular human being who cares for you and your family. My goal is for you to go home at the end of your shift to your family. I take this responsibility very seriously.I had the unfortunate job a year ago to bury my best friend and co-worker Dave. Many of us knew him as "Captain Dave" Dave was a great leader and had the respect of those whom worked with him. Dave was one of those who made a choice with seat belts. His choice was fatal. The day before his fatal accident Dave told me he hoped that nothing would happen that he would miss his children growing up. I remined him that wearing a seat belt would be a good start to prevent that.To have to make calls the next day to family and friends was the most diffucult thing I have down in my life. So when you go on calls to help those in need, please remember those who need you the most. Your family!

Thumbs up gotta have them

I think what it boils down to, is whether or not the administration has the guts to start enforcing policy. Not wearing your seatbelt is like spraying a hornets nest with water. (Like the commerical). Your asking for trouble.

Forum Member

Seat belts are a must! Considering how the community looks up to emergency services, what kind of example is it if they see us without them? There is enough danger involved in the job already, no need to introduce more.

Originally posted by Horseez
    I know I don't always feel safe just because I'm wearing my seatbelt. In fact, seatbelts have been documented as the cause of death in some incidents.
    I don't think anyone here would disagree with you, but getting in a car (or especially a fire truck ) at all is a gamble, and there are no guarantees of anything. When you gamble, you play the odds. If you have an advantage, you obviously take it. Chances are overwhelmingly in favor of your survival wearing your seatbelt vs. not wearing it.

ok, i know I'm in the minority here, but I only sometimes wear a seatbelt. I will always wear it wnen I am facing forward (ie, front seats of the ambulance, driver/officer seats or front facing rear seat in the engine), but usually not when i'm not in those seats. i also always wear one in my POV.

am I right? no. is that the smartest thing to do? no. would I encourage anyone to follow my lead? no. will what i do change i the near future? probably not.

and for those that say seatbelts have caused deaths, I would wager that for every caused by a person wearing a seatbelt, there are at least a hundred that occur when someone isn't wearing a seatbelt.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Originally posted by DrParasite
    ok, i know I'm in the minority here, but I only sometimes wear a seatbelt. I will always wear it wnen I am facing forward (ie, front seats of the ambulance, driver/officer seats or front facing rear seat in the engine), but usually not when i'm not in those seats. i also always wear one in my POV.

am I right? no. is that the smartest thing to do? no. would I encourage anyone to follow my lead? no. will what i do change i the near future? probably not.

Do you have any SOPs/SOGs regarding seatbelt usage? If so, what do they say????????
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Thread Information