Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

Default what about shelton

whats going on in shelton they light fires and dont put them out?

Forum Member

The first question is: What were they thinking?

Wanna clue the rest of the state in on what you're talking about?
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

3 Shelton firefighters charged with setting fire that destroyed home
    May 8, 2004

SHELTON, Conn. -- Three volunteer firefighters were arrested Saturday on charges of setting a fire that destroyed an upscale house under construction.

Charles Eye, 20; Andrew Evans, 17; and Jonathan Belanger, 19, confessed to starting the early Saturday morning blaze, police said. Investigators believe gasoline was used in the crime.

No one was injured.

The three men were seen by a police officer fleeing the scene in an EMS rescue vehicle, police say.

"I just hope the bad choices of a few individuals does not cast a bad reflection on the entire department," Fire Chief John Millo told the Connecticut Post. "I think the speed in which the investigation was conducted shows how seriously we view an incident like this."

Eye, Evans and Belanger were immediately suspended pending further information.

Evans was not available for comment, a woman who answered the phone at his house told The Associated Press Saturday night.

Eye and Belanger do not have telephone listings and could not be reached for comment.

A Shelton police officer saw the fire while on patrol at about 3 a.m., and saw the EMS cruiser speeding from the site.

"He thought that was a little bit odd, so he radioed it in," Detective Sgt. Michael Madden said.

Shelton police investigators checked radio dispatch and determined that the occupants of the vehicle, which was driven by Eye, did not report the fire. The blaze was "clearly visible from the street," Madden told the New Haven Register. The three men immediately became suspects, police said.

The three men confessed because they "wanted to be the first to respond," Madden told the Connecticut Post.

Fire officials estimate the damage at $175,000. The house was to have been sold for about $620,000.

Evans and Belanger were charged with arson in the first degree and Eye was charged with conspiracy to commit arson in the first-degree. The three men each posted $25,000 bond and are scheduled to be arraigned May 24 in Derby Superior Court.
    Last edited by Stuart; 05-09-2004 at 04:52 PM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Adze39
    Wanna clue the rest of the state in on what you're talking about?
    I was thinking the same thing until I picked up Sunday morning's CT Post.
    It is actions like these that give volunteer fire fighters a bad name.

Originally posted by Stuart
    The three men were seen by a police officer fleeing the scene in an EMS rescue vehicle, police say.
    Ok, bad enough that they did it but they DID IT IN A FRIGGIN' EMERGENCY VEHICLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

well it least they made a nice stop on the job...NOT...

oops typo at least the made a nice stop....NOT..

wow i type like they put out fires...at least they made a nice stop...NOT...there that's what I meant..

Forum Member

Wow You like to talk about shelton but where are you from that makes your dept god?????

Originally posted by theman01
    wow i type like they put out fires...at least they made a nice stop...NOT...there that's what I meant..
    Wow, you type like you think... STUPID. What in the hell are you talking about. You created a username here JUST to flame a FD for something the article said nothing about. There is nothing in the article about the extinguishment of this fire. Yet somehow, you have come up with this horse feces about not putting it out. You should do the rest of the forum a favor and go away as fast as you came here. Don't let the door hit you either, the door is worth more than that.

The first question is: What were they thinking?
    I think that was the problem. They weren't. At least they didn't do this to something occupied and no one was hurt or worse. The only thing harmed is the 3 morons who will probbaly not be missed while in jail. I hope the citzens of Shelton can see past these 3 idiots and realize there are bad apples everywhere but are the extreme minority.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Dude you are angry, if you knew what you were talking about you would know they set it to put it out and be heros, it burned to the ground!So you are right it didnt say anything about putting it out because it didnt happen. But even though you might not be able to read big words look at the pictures at least. Second no there are no gods at my department but no 17 year old arsonists either.

Are you on crack?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Nmfire your right I hope that the resident of Shelton will look past this incident and look at the good the Shelton Fire Dept. has done and will continue to do dispite this unfortunate circumstance.

Forum Member

Angry Shelton

The best thing that happens to these three fellows is that they get incarcerated for a long time. It only takes a few bad apples to spoil the rest. It is a shame this has happened. I hope the people of Shelton support thier FD. Shelton has a long history of having a great fire service [I'm not from Shelton] Hopefully they will.

Don't let this discussion get all heated and end up where Firehouse.com shuts down another CT thread. This is a good topic because it affects more than just the town of Shelton.
    Ladders dont put out fires... water puts out fires... engines companies rule.

I agree Longhill. There is no need to get personal. I was out of line
    I apologize. Hopefully this unfortunate incident will have a silver lining; like a professional fire department for the city of Shelton.

Forum Member

Originally posted by theman01
    I agree Longhill. There is no need to get personal. I was out of line
    I apologize. Hopefully this unfortunate incident will have a silver lining; like a professional fire department for the city of Shelton.
    As in professional do you mean all paid?? I so just because there was a few bad apples dousnt mean the city needs a paid service

I agree 129 its a few bad apples is not the reason.
    The reason is the city of Shelton will be better served
    by Professional Firefighters. By the why professional
    and paid are the same thing.

By the why professional and paid are the same thing.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information