We went to a matinee play of a big Broadway Play in San Francisco this week. There was a fraction of the audience this theater could accommodate. You would have never known it by what took place on stage. During intermission I spotted two of the lead actors. I told them although the audience was sparse the cast wasnít. The energy and enthusiasm were fantastic; as if they were playing to a packed house. These were professionals. They thanked me for noticing.

Consider doing the same thing going into your oral boards. The door opens and they call you in. The curtain is going up, itís the bright lights of Broadway. Itís show time. You have to grab your top hat, cane and know matter what the audience (panel members) you have to give it your best shot and step it OUT!

Not floundering trying to remember the lines for your part. Being embarrassed by stage fright that causes you to forget your best stuff, as your mouth goes dryer than the Sahara Desert.

Visualizing the tones are dropping and your going on your first call. Everything you have worked for is on the line. Youíre auditioning for the part to be a firefighter. You have practiced and rehearsed for this part havenít you? You know all the lines for your part donít you?

The raters pick up on your energy and enthusiasm as we did at the play and theyíre saying in their minds, bravo, bravo, we have been waiting for this all week. Theyíre starting to smile. Throwing you lines that you adlib to enhance your performance. Nothing has stumped you. You know youíre going to make the cut for the call back. You have never had an interview like this. The hairs start standing up on the back of your neck and the raters too. You walk off stage knowing you nailed it!

Havenít had this feeling in your oral boards yet? Well, do you have a script that you have been religiously practicing with a tape recorder? It doesnít surprise me. Ninety-nine percent of the candidates I ask arenít either. I asked a college program recently how many had been practicing with a tape recorder daily? No hands. How about weekly then? Nope. None. O.K. how about monthly? Finally three hands went up out of a total of 40. Then, donít be confused by why youíre not getting high enough on the list to get a call back to play the part of a firefighter. The mystery has been solved.

You might not have the oral board skills (the oral is still 100% of the score to get hired) to convince the producers (raters) you have what is takes. You see getting this part as a firefighter you have to convince the raters you can do it before you get it.

Everyone take your seats, the play for your career is about to begin.

For a look at the script to audition for the job of a firefighter job check here: http://www.eatstress.com/workboolette.htm

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959