Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: How Will You Conduct Rescue Airbag Testing?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Send to manufacturer

7 38.89%
  • Have Local Equipment Dealer Do It

2 11.11%
  • Rig Up Our Own Way Of "Testing" In-House

4 22.22%
  • Don't Test

5 27.78%
+ Reply to Thread

Default Can We "Test" Our Own Rescue Airbags?"

A fire officer from the State of Washington wrote;

"Mr.Moore; I read your article about air bag safety and testing. Our department has a set of Vetter air bags that are 12 years old. They have never been tested; this is the first time I have even heard that they could be tested. Do the bags need to be tested by Vetter or is this something that we can do locally?"

--------------------

What do you think about this issue? I wrote back that the manufacturers always want to do the "testing" if they can convince you of that. But in fact, if you can rig up the hardwre yourself, you could do the testing at the department. What's your take on this? Answer the pole and let's find out...
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Liability for members and public would be number one concern for any "Local" testing.

How do you decide if the test is fair, or good.

How do you decide if you have overstrained the unit, causing a failure point for the future?
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

I say gotta go to the manufacturer.............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

how about the cost effective way, if you think they need to be tested; just replace them with the most expensive set you can find

(I hope the sarcasm come through)

seriously, I have no idea; can't see why we can't test them. We just need to know how to test them.

shane

We have Maxi-force airbags and on the paratech web site there is a FAQ on how to test the maxi-force bags, it's a simple pass or fail test where a fixed air pressure is placed in the bag and then left for 30 minutes, if the pressure drops then the bag is taken out of service. You can also use a soap-water mix to location any leaks, But as the FAQ states if it leaks it's out of service.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

I figure that since the manufacturer knows more than any of us do we'll send it to him
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Yes you can do your own testing, but as others have said, I'd be concerned about the liability if it were to fail in the field after you performed your own testing.

I say, send it to the manufacturer or another independant authority.
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

O.K.

Say you test your 12 y.o. airbags at working pressure (116 psi) under its maximum load, how do you know how much dryrot is present inside the bag? How do you know how much MORE you damaged that bag by "maxing" the bag out?

How does the manufacturers determine what the condition of the inside of the bag is? Can they detirmine the inside condition? I'm inclined to say, NO!!

The only airbags that can be tested PROPERLY/SAFELY are ResQ Tek NT Air Bags and thats only because you can access the inside of the bags so you can dry, inspect and/or repair them.

They are actually Hydro tested just as an air cylinder, which in turn allows the expansion of the bag to be measured to see if there is any damage to the bag or if it is still within its manufactured spec's.

Forum Member

As with hydrotesting cylinders, an internal inspection is generally required. Such is the case with fire extinguishers and SCBAs plus other types. The ResQTek NT bags offer a way on internal inspection. I'm not aware of any other bag that allows this.

Once tested, how are the bags marked? Who keeps the records and for how long. Does each bag have a serial number? What test pressure is used? How are the bags dried after testing? There are more questions.

Ideally there would be a consesus from the mfg. I hope that would happen.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Curious question: Other than the fact that we want to know our bags are Ok for use and not damaged, is there any requirement by any "official" body to test air bags?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Once tested, how are the bags marked? Who keeps the records and for how long. Does each bag have a serial number? What test pressure is used? How are the bags dried after testing? There are more questions.
    BIG RIG,

The NT Bags can be marked. I'm told that they can be stamped on the top plate.

The manufacturer, Zumro ResQ, Which is ResQ Tek's sister company maintains all of the testing records and serial numbers. If the department wants to keep their own records on the bags they will be provided copies upon request.

The NT ResQ Bags have a working pressure of 147 psi and are hydro'ed at 300 psi then both caps (top and bottom) are removed and hung to dry.

More Questions?

Bones,

To the best of my knowledge there is no requirement by an official body for air bag testing. If there were I think more manufacturers would be making a "testable" air bag.

Forum Member

I agree that the manufacture should test them. The public is so sue happy now days, and god forbid something should happen, the manufacture has a lot deeper pockets than most departments that I know.

God Speed, my Brothers from other Mothers

Thread Information