Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Detroit Series 60 vs Cummins ISM

I'm trying to decide between a Cummins ISM or a Series 60 for our new pumper.We currently have one Series 60 which has been a great engine,4500 hrs without a single hick-up.The only reason I'm considering the ISM is the weight savings,the Series 60 is big engine.We had alot of Cummins in the trucking fleet I used to maintain and had great success.Cummins really blew it with the ISX,but the ISM is a great engine ,I'm just not sure how they stand-up in the fire service.Is anyone running them in a high run urban situation?

We've got 5 of them in various hp configurations,No issues to date,some are ten years old.Weight wise I doubt you will see much difference from the 60 horsepowers being equal.T.C.

Forum Member

Currently running an M11 400hp in our 2000 Hme/central states quint no problems.
    We also have an M11 450hp in our 2003 Hme/silverfox Engine no problems

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Both make great engines, but personally I like the big Detroits. Don't forget it's not all about the horsies, it's about the torque. That's what is going to drive the pump and get y'all up and down the hills with ease.

I don't know what Cummins has for torque at the various HPs. Maybe they're the same as the 60s. If worse comes to worse, who has the closer service center? If the ISM has enough torque to get the job done and then some, if it costs less, then I say have at it. Put the money into other areas.

Forum Member

I think that the 450 cummins is rated at 1450 torque and that the 500 cummins ism is rated at 1550.

Thread Information