Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CPAT Tests

MembersZone Subscriber

Default CPAT Tests

Just moved on to the next phase of the hiring process with the Department that Im interviewing with!!

The Capt of the Department told me that the next phase will be the CPAT. He told me to get physically ready and the Firefighter that was in the Interview with us said to really work your legs. They really did not give me much info other than that( i do know the basic concept of the CPAT).

My question to all of you is, what is a good time on the CPAT? I am already in pretty good physical shape, the job that i have now demands that(Strength Coach at Local university(part time), GO UTES!!!).

Just wondering if you guys that have been hired (or not) can let me in on what you scored for your time. Maybe you can give me a little edge on what you did? Or wish you did not do. Anything would be great thanks.....

Forum Member

If it's a standard CPAT, I believe they are just pass/fail based on a maximum time that you can't exceed. I've taken the CPAT a bunch of times, but don't remember my times, because it wasn't a factor... if you're in half-decent shape you'll do fine. I'd advise getting on stairmill if you've never been on one, but other than that, it's no big deal.

Forum Member

Default Pass/Fail

Physical Agility

Here's a segment from the Physical Agility Article in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

The Standard pass time for the CPAT is 10:20

Often, candidates don't realize that it's not just strength in the physical agility. The "Nugget " is technique, momentum and grip. If you are uncertain or having problems in the physical, take advantage of any college or academy programs to learn the techniques to practice pulling hose, throwing a ladder, dragging a dummy (not you), etc. Many departments offer practice "run-through" sessions for their physical test prior to the actual date of testing. Don't pass up this opportunity.

You don't want any surprises during the physical agility. You need to have practiced hands on with every segment of the agility. Too many candidates think they are in great shape. One who did not take advantage of the practice session told me, "Hey, that 75 pound hose pack was heavy. Humping that hose bundle up the tower, hosting and other manipulative skills, then back down the tower steps made my lungs burn (they were still burning days later) and caused the loss of valuable seconds." The best way to train for this event is to up the cardio by going up and down bleachers with a backpack with weights or a weighted vest from www.WeightVest.com

You can read the complete article and get more of the inside secrets on testing and oral boards in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

“Nothing counts ‘til you have the badge . . . Nothing!”

BOB SMITH
    Firehouse.Com Contributor

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

10:20 is the Max time limit, so what i am wondering is there a max time limit in your estimation that should just be a min?

The vest's look cool, but at 275 and up, i will just stick to walking on our inverted treadmill at a 50% and up slope with 25LBS in each hand to start( that part is just 3 min, but i hear it gets to you, they told me that we wear a 75LBS vest during that part of the test).

Capt I just did place an oder for 3 of the books you offer though, one about the Oral board, so I am putting you to the test!!!(J/K, but i hope to get some sort of edge that i did not already know, or THINK that i know).

The part that scares me the most is that i have never done this before, and like you said, it would be nice to have no surprizes. I know that one of the Pheonix offical sites has vidoe that you can watch, so in that aspect that might have to do.

Later...

Forum Member

Default Cardio

The purpose of the vest is to up your cardio not only for the stair master but to complete the entire course under the required time.

Time?? under 10:20 Pass/Fail

Many candidates feel if they set some kind of a record it will help in hiring. Not true! It is pass or fail. The secret "Nugget" here is to pace yourself. You don't have to break the record. If you would have no problem in passing the physical, then, why would you want to try and impress the training staff, the other candidates and tout that you set a new record? In your haste, you might injure yourself or fall down the stairs in the tower . . . and, you don't even pass. Now, you not only didn't pass the PT, you're out of the hiring process. How would you feel McFly?

The dummy from my son's department disappeared from the training center. Two days later a 911 call came in from a pay phone asking for help. When units arrived at the scene, here was the dummy standing up in the phone booth with the phone receiver to his ear. Case closed.

From Tom Dominguez:

The secret to passing the CPAT is to be in shape with a high cardiovascular fitness level and to know the techniques as Captain Bob has mentioned. The average time is between nine minutes and ten minutes, twenty seconds. Try to think of the CPAT (or any agility) as a marathon where you are trying to complete the event instead of going for the record time. You can burn out if you are going for time no matter how well in shape you are.

Most people who fail the CPAT fail the first event (Stair Climb/Stair Stepper), or run out of time during the last event (Ceiling Breach). People who run out of time at the breach and pull lost a few seconds at all the prior event stations because they PAUSED to THINK of how to do the event or PAUSED or SLOWED down to catch their breath.

tsbacker please call me 888-238-3959

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber 0ptical42's Avatar

One thing that helped me get through my first CPAT was going through a practise session held by the department. It gives you an idea on how to pace yourself and you can then figure out techniques that will help you get through it easier. A lot of people gas out on the dummy drag. By going to the practise session you can figure out what is the best technique for you to drag it. A friend of mine decided to go into the CPAT without a practise and it cost him at the dummy. He just missed passing because he had to spend so much time switching up techniques at the dummy because he didn't know the best one for him. It also cost him much of his strength.

Anothing thing that helped me was visualizing the course and how I was going to conquer it while I was in the shower every day. I did this starting a month beforehand. This allowed me to almost run on autopilot through the course since I had gone through it in my head so many times. I didn't need to pause to think about what to do next.

Thread Information