MembersZone Subscriber

Default FDNY age requirements

I was wondering is anybody knows if there is a age cut off to getting on the job. I heard you could not be over 32 before you were appointed unless you had years in the military.

MembersZone Subscriber

No,

Some of you people should really put forth a little more effort in researching your questions. Next time a question arrises, try the offical web page then look at employment then FAQs.

Anyhow here is the answer for:
    What are the age requirements?
    Answer: Pursuant to Section 54 of the New York Civil Service Law and Section 15-103 of the Administrative Code, you must be at least 17 years of age by the end of the application period and you must not have reached your twenty-ninth birthday by the beginning of the application period to be eligible to take this examination. However, you must have reached your twenty-first birthday to be eligible for appointment.

Aren't age requirements illegal?
    Answer: Age requirements are not illegal. The Federal Age Discrimination In Employment Act of 1967 ( ADEA) was amended in 1995 to allow states and political subdivisions of states to impose age limitations for hiring and retirement of police officers and firefighters as long as the requirement was in effect prior to March 3, 1983, and in certain other circumstances. [Title 29,United States Code,Section 623(j)]. Accordingly, the Fire Department is authorized by federal law to impose a maximum age for the hiring of firefighters.

Can the age requirement be waived?
    Answer: No. The only exception to the age requirement is for persons who were engaged in military duty as defined in Section 243 of the New York State Military Law. They may deduct from their age the length of time spent in such military duty provided the total deduction for military duty does not exceed six years.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks FFFRED for the help. I already knew that and yes I did research it before I posted my message. What I was talking about is being appointed. I thought I read somewhere that you could not be older then 32 to be appointed. But thanks for your help. Sorry to put you out if I did, but you didn't have to respond either.

Thread Information