MembersZone Subscriber

Question Air chisel troubleshooting

Ok guys, maybe you can help me out. Doing some training today including some hand tool work.
    After using our air chisel (Ajax) for a period of time, it basically became non functioning. By that I mean when you pulled the trigger it blew air through the gun but the piston didn't move. Lack of lubrication was not the problem, I'm guessing it froze up due to the amount of use (had been through several air bottles) and it was very cold to the touch.
    Ever happen to you? How can you prevent it and how can you restore function on scene?

Thanks....

Forum Member

Make certain the air is dry, lube the gun as directed, and rebuild periodically. Maybe due for a rebuild now.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Forum Member

You can also get this condition if the retainer loosens on the barrel.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

The gun is only 2 years old. Lube and air don't seem to be the problem. The chisel works at first then starts having problems a few bottles into it. After a rest period it works fine again.

TC, is tightening the retainer operator level maintenance or does it require returning it to a repair shop?
    The kit came with poor operating instructions/ no maintenance manuals.

FIGJAM

Do you have a water trap installed on the system somewhere?

Depending on the water content of your cylinders, it may be blocking up the chisel.
    Luke

Forum Member

The retainer is externally mounted on the barrel.They can be either "beehive"or posi-lock design.Yours being an Ajax,it's probably a posi lock.Just make sure either is tightly screwed on the barrel.Occasionaly you can have a bad tool bit that will hang,to check just try another bit.From your description it's sounds like the tool might be frosting up,what pressure are you running at the regulator?And are you using a single bottle at source or are you "ganging"them up?You'll have less frosting problems if you use several bottles tied together for more volume.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lutan and R101,
    No water trap, running it off a single scba bottle. 'Frosting up' sounds about right, running at 100 psi for sheet metal and 200 for heavier stuff.
    Going to check the retainer tightness Friday when I get to work...
    Thanks for your help guys....

Forum Member

Kevin,check your owners manual.I know that the ajax hammer is built special for emergency services,but MOST air tools are rated for 90-120 PSI input.Just for the fun of it get a couple of Ys or Ts so you can gang two or three bottles together and try your evolution again.I'm betting the problem will go away.Kinda like trying to run a big LP salamander on a 20# barbeque cylinder.T.C.

Thread Information