MembersZone Subscriber

Default chief issues...need suggestion

ok..here's the deal. Our dept. was started from nothing in '79. The same chief that started it all is still holding his position. But, he is not fulfilling the "duties" he is supposed to anymore. He has not been present at a structure fire for the last 2 years. With the ever lingering notion of PIAL rating or ISO rating haunting depts around the country, he does not care. We paid a professional $1500 to come in and make recomendations on what to do to improve our rating but the chief says that does not matter and he knows what to do. We just completed our last evaluation and went from a 5 to a 6. The fire service changes daily but our chief does not stay up to speed on any of this. He is not even FF1 certified. He tells our board that he is from the "old" school and what needs to be done is just put the fire out. It's time for an administrative change and most of the firefighters and officers are mentioning a "strike" so to speak to make the change if need be. I believe this is not the way to go about it but would definitely open some important peoples eyes. So i guess the question is how do we do this the right way? Please do not think we just want the chief out, we just want to improve and allow our dept. to grow and the current chief is not going to allow that. thanks, sorry for the long post

Forum Member

He is not even FF1 certified.
    Neither is our chief or any of the 2 assistant Chief or the Deputy Chief. In fact, presently, only 2 of us who are paid out of 7 and only 3 volunteers out of 30 have FF1. The Chief does have 25 years firefighting experiance and was elected by the members and also was appointed as the Paid Chief by the Mayor.
    Good luck solving your problems.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

MembersZone Subscriber

There are many questions here that have to be answered.
    How large is your Department, how large of an area do you cover, what kind of area do you cover (rural, city or township(s)) and what’s the population?
    How do your by-laws read in regards to training, qualifications for Officers, and elected or appointed Officers?
    What compliances, with what regulations does your department follow? (OSHA)
    Who constitutes “the Board”?
    How many members do you have?
    What kind of training do all of your members have?

It’s great that 25 years ago some men (and/ or women) found it necessary to start a Fire Department, and provide fire protection (and any other services you offer, like EMS, rescue, etc.) to your community, but times do change and in this day and age, the Fire Departments need to change too.

Take your plight to the membership. Gain a concensus of your members in regards to what direction you want your Department to take. If your present Chief is unwilling to advance the Department forward, remove him. Even though he has spent 25 years in office, do not neglect his efforts. He had insight when times were easier, to establish the Department, but the “Old School” way of running things now days just doesn’t work anymore.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

Forum Member

I will agree with AFD many questions are unanswered in your post. Is your department Career or Volunteer? If you are Volunteer how is the Chief Appointed. I would form a group of your fellow firefighters from all ranks and set a meeting with the Chief to Discuss your concerns. If you do not get results from this go to whom ever it is that appoints the Chief. Explain to them your concerns. It will be a difficult road if he is in tight with the one's that gave him his appointment. What ever you do, do so in a professional manner.

Forum Member

You know , I would like to hear the Chiefs side of this.
    We quickly forget to walk a miles in their shoes.

MembersZone Subscriber

i can see that this looks like a biased thread. but its not...please do not think that i am just making all this up b/c i am upset with the chief. the dept is not growing and will not.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Exclamation Hmmmmm............................

More questions than answers here, or so it seems. I had the unpleasant experience of helping a VFD in a similar situation some years back. A majority of the members wanted change, and it took work, but they got it. They were teetering on the brink of going out of business and today they're doing as well as the surrounding departments. It CAN be done, but here's the list.
    1. A majority of the members must want to achive the same goal.
    2. They must agree on the means to reach that goal.
    3. Do your homework. Have ALL relevant information available.
    4. Once started, DO NOT BACK DOWN.
    If you have to convince a body of folks from outside the dept. that there needs to be change, do it in a positive manner. Nothing will kill your effort quicker than a negative approach. Be open and forthright about what the problems are, AND how change will BENEFIT all of the community/district/area. I wish you luck, it will not be easy, but it should be possible.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information