Thread: extrication

Forum Member

Default extrication

do your explorers practice extrication techniques i.e. hydraulic spreaders, rams, cutters, airbags, air chisels(if any are around)
    and what do you use for guidelines
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Explorer rules in our department are "NO POWER TOOLS" and this includes the hurst.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

As far as practicing extrication techniques, we do as long as we are in appropriate supervision. That is legal to its extent, but as far as doing it real life, that is out of the question whatsoever for Explorers. Even with your Extrication Cert. the rule still applies.

So to say again because I rambled a bit, only in practice under appropriate supervision.
    IACOJ

We can do the training with the tools, as long as we have members of the department (as long as they are career staff) present and assisting us with learning how to use them.

On a call? We stand back and play gopher.

"Get the cribbing"
    "Get the air bag manifold"
    ETC.

Only once have I been to an accident where I had to do something associated with hydraulic tools, and that was hooking them up, starting the motor/pump and opening the valve so that the fluid can flow. Other then that we stay away.

Forum Member

We just recently practiced extrication on a van that was given to the department. We were supervised by captains and numerous full tiem firefighters that gave us instruction. Everyone got to use either the cutter, and or spreader. We cut seatbelts, broke out all the windows with the haligan tool which was really fun. We cut the windshield with the sawzall (think thats how its spelled), then lifted the whole roof off. AFter that we practiced using a come-along on the doors and then popped one door all the way off. It was fun but we are not allowed to do that stuff on scene.

Forum Member

on scene we cannot do any thing to the vehicle.

a couple of weekends ago we cut apart three cars we used every thing we could. hurst tools, air chisels, rams, sawzalls, axes. we had a blast.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

Just like moose. We can practice but cannot participate with the actual extrication on scene.

Forum Member

We do not go on runs and can not practice with power tools.

National explorer rules state:

"Explorers may not operate hydraulic rescue tools or equipment."

ffexCP, there is a part of that rule that you did not show.

Look to the bottom of the page, during times of training you can operate the tools, etc.

Forum Member

That is correct. But there is no mention of the tools discussed here.

"Exceptions: Using an official training facility, the use of aerial ladders with the appropriate safety equipment, and entering a controlled burn building is approved."

There are no other exceptions listed.

Hmm it may not be on the website then, it might have been in one of the packets I have at the firehouse.

They do allow it though...

Originally posted by ffexpCP
    National explorer rules state:

"Explorers may not operate hydraulic rescue tools or equipment."
    I know you got that from the the LFL website, and those are simply guidelines that "should" be used to create a post specific safety policy. I have yet to find anything on that website that provides concrete rules that must be applied to every fire post. If you take a look at the Law Enforcement Explorer section of that site, you'll find some very concrete rules regarding what they can/cannot do. I've yet to get a hold of anything similar to their rules for Fire posts.

I've trained with extrication equipment, power tools, and aerial/ground ladders on numerous occasions in my three years as an Explorer.
    Justin
    VP/Webmaster/EMT-B
    MDFR Post #1403

Forum Member

Originally posted by Moose2028
    on scene we cannot do any thing to the vehicle.

a couple of weekends ago we cut apart three cars we used every thing we could. hurst tools, air chisels, rams, sawzalls, axes. we had a blast.
    same for salt river fire dept. explorers

Richard Lopez Jr.
    E-1 Captain
    Salt River Fire Dept.
    "Serving today to protect your tomorrow"

Forum Member

When I was a junior we could use extrication tools up the ying yang in training..On scene..Don't even think about it
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Our post is pretty much the same as the others, during training, we knock ourselves out (not literally) with the tools, on scene we dont operate the tools in anyway, but assist in any other way that our Lt. asks of us.

I'm a junior firefighter, not an explorer, but I figure they're similar enough, eh

I've done more cutting than you can shake a stick at in training with all of the good ol' tools, you know, the spreaders, cutters, air chisel, air ratchet, sawzall, etc.

On the scene, we know the regs, but you know how the saying 'when it rains, it pours' goes. Just recently we had a tractor trailer on its roof, a car over a hill, and a fire alarm simultaneously. The first two were with confirmed entrapment. When stuff like that goes down, rules tend to bend. So I have done work with the spreaders and O-cutters on scene, but not often.

Forum Member

i belive child labor laws say it is illegal for a minor to operate hyrolic tools. hand tools (glass master, haligan,etc) are ok, but the jaws are a big no no.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

That's what the law says, yes.

Forum Member

My explore post can not practice any extrication “yet” that is something we are working on anyone else have restrictive protocols on what explores can and can not do i am trying everything to convince are advisers that we can actually help them out with things any info would be great sorry this is slightly off topic. thanks in advance

i think, and i have to double check this... but our SOG's say we can do anything but go inside the fire. We most likely can operate the tools during training activities, but at a real scene, I highly doubt that they would take the chance of us using them.
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

If under supervision and you are needed to do so because there is no crew there are some execpetions

Forum Member

Default uh...

We just had out first explorer cadet fire schools here in Illinois and the cornel was going around asking if there was anything we wanted to do next year and he said we are going to a auto extrication classroom because you have to be 18 to work with all the stuff you use with extrication. The dealio might be different in other states i duno!
    Kat

Champaign Explorer Post 207

Forum Member

I think that there is another post in this forum, Explorer spec. that talks abou this.

But for the sake of posting again instead of taking the time to drudge it up...

As most have said, all the way with training, no such luck on a real scene.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

we allow our explorers to operate the tools only on training ground, however if needed everyone of our explores could operate without a problem

Forum Member

Last fall, I took part in a hydraulic tool demonstration from Holmatro, Hurst/Centaur, and TNT. Got to cut up a few cars by myself. This Saturday, we are having a class about agricultural extrication. Either taking part in that, or riding the engine that is going to be there for stand-by and first out for any calls we get.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Thread Information