Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Im cursed

Forum Member

Default Im cursed

I swear im cursed. The last three times in a row ive gone down to my station to pull a shift there hasnt been a single call for the station. All the other stations have been busy except the one i was at. When will this evil curse lift?

Smile Evil curse lifting technigue

To lift curse --Just think along the lines of" If the station does'nt turn out--nobody's house has burnt to the ground-no one has been fatally injured in a car crash etc"
    Walk round the drill ground and chant the above mantra 16,000 times --if you should turn out to a incident whilst doing this--it obviously works. If not, you will be in great demand at a very busy station who turn out every 20mins or so, and can do with the respite.
    Motto=Getting my "jollies" equals someone else's pain.
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

I swear im cursed. The last three times in a row ive gone down to my station to pull a shift there hasnt been a single call for the station. All the other stations have been busy except the one i was at. When will this evil curse lift?
    It's not an evil curse, just think of it as your departments impact on society. Fire prevention is prevailing, and people are using the knowledge they have learned through local, state, and federal programs that teach them how to prevent house fires. What about those medical calls you didn't have? Generally, that's a good thing. I wouldn't want to wish someone to be in pain so I can feel the rush. I don't want someone to suffer so I can hear the siren going.

Too much time while your there? There's always something to be done. How about reading a book? Reading through training material at the station? Watching training videos? Does the crew just sit around when there's nothing going on? Do they train? Can you ask one or two of them to show you how equipment works? You can't be a master of it all.

If you're bored, find a way to amuse yourself while there. You're obviously old enough to know how to do that if they allow you to ride along...

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

I know where your comming from, but like my dad has told me on many occasions "while your complaining that your not getting calls and that your bored, someone else is out having fun and being SAFE "

You'll get a call eventually, but you should hope for a BS call. That way no one is hurt. Anytime we get a call, "Is anyone hurt? Is this going to be bad?" runs through my mind. Sometimes getting calls isn't always the best thing for everyone.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

Thats how my parents view it. On my watch the citizens of my town are keeping safe.

Forum Member

Hey sometimes your a crap magnent and sometimes your not. I am a crap magnet, which sometimes can be pretty bad.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

I have always said that if no one ever got hurt and needed a FD's, or any emergency services... services, then that would be a great day. I personally love getting calls and participating, and helping out my community. But if the calls were gone I would not complain, that just means no more lives are being destroyed, or hurt for the most part.

So I would not consider it an evil curse. But besides that aspect I can see where you are coming from, because my thoughts up there are purely idealistic and will never happen, and calls do happen, and sometimes calls do no happen. But, I would use that time as someone said to train, or do something constructive around the FH. Regardless however on your curse, every dept. goes through a drought, and I am sure yours will lift.
    Last edited by MFDExplorer51; 05-17-2004 at 04:46 PM.
    IACOJ

You say that now and then when it gets stupidly busy you'll be sayin Holy S**t why are there so many calls...Take em as they come man
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

It gives you time to practice knots, read training manuals, sit down with other ff's and discus training topics...

Silence of the Tones is allways a good thing.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

I haven't had a tone drop, or the red phone ring in 4 shifts (since last Monday)....*scratch head* I'll summarize what I've completed during that time

*Air Bag + Cribbing Training
    *Basic Pump Ops
    *Drafting and Porta-Tank Training
    *Extrication (Electric tools, hydraulic tools, and air tools)
    *Forcible Entry
    *Tower Operations (Bucket operation, preparing to raise, etc)
    *Venthilation

That list does not include EMS, which is just as long, if not longer. I generally get about 1.5 hours of training inhouse when I'm there M-F. Longer if we have a video or lecture from a speaker, etc.

Note: On top of being an Explorer with the department, I'm also there for school Monday, Wednesday and Friday gaining credit towards graduation. I have an extremely simple schedule this half the year, so time permits this ontop of normal class. On Mon. and Fri. I'm at the house from 12:00-17:00, on Wednesday it's 9:30 till 17:00. Some Fridays I may be their until 17:00 on Saturday, depends on which parent has me for the weekend.

I just wanted to point out something, it bugged me this morning when I was thinking about this thread.

It is something I am sure is realized, but just have to put it out there.

I know I said that no calls ever again would be fine with me, and I said that will not every happen. But I do want to stress I thouroughly enjoy, with a great deal of passion the field that is Firefighting.

Just wanted to get that out, I am done now.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Be Trained and Be Ready

Calls aren't what makes a fire company or a firefighter. When I was in my younger years as an EMS Explorer I wanted nothing but calls, calls, and more calls....Sure hanging out at the Ambulance Garage was OK too but when those tones dropped I was all over it. - A few years later I turned 18 and became a full fledged Volunteer Firefighter and took as much training as I could get - Yeah the company I first joined had some decent runs and fires so I got experience. - I did more sitting around waiting for the tones than actual responses or they all came when I wasn't around or at work. I stayed in this capacity for over 14 years than I was hired as a Fulltime Career Firefighter/EMT and yeah I love my job but....Training is a must and now that I do this for a living the calls can get annoying at times --At work we do over 2000 runs a year {I obviously don't make all of them} An Old-Timer once told me when I first came in as a volunteer...."Be Careful what you wish for" - You'll get your calls even if they are BS -- In the meantime gain knowledge - You younger guys and girls out there have much more access to training with the Internet and all -- Far more access than us Older creatures ever had -- Take advantage of what you can

MembersZone Subscriber

I think our department enjoys us riding with them, I can go to an Engine that might average 5-15 calls a day, and make it stand still for 8 hours. Now that's power. I have had a whole month of ride with ZERO calls, that will test your patience, especially if another company in the house gets a call, that's a real let down. Like I always tell the guys, if they want to sleep all night, let us ride the whole shift. When we go on calls, we are there mostly as an observer, of course we help carry in medical stuff or tools and help lift really heavy people. Personally, I've done tons of rides, I crave getting even just one BS call, but I still keep in mind, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, that when you aren't doing anything, others are safe (thumbs up to fire safety).

Depending on what crew you are with and your attitude on things, they will usually go over the rig with you and quiz you on things or show you some cool new tools they got or something. From an explorer point of view, if you can still love this job when there is NOTHING going on, then you finally realize that there is more to it than speeding through town with the lights and sirens going and hitting the horn to clear intersections, you can take a more mature approach to things. Personally, I do watch some TV with the guys and kind of bum around a little bit after all of the housework is done, but I usually like to read through the Essentials book or another manual or book, or just studying the pump panels and such. This usually helps me get a more throrough understanding on training we did at the last explorer meeting. Since I'm not 18 yet, I can't take any EMT/firefighter classes at the local college, so the more I can learn now, the less I have to worry about later, and I can focus on the harder stuff. I still look forward to going to ride-alongs because you never know what (if anything) you are going to get. Plus who wants to go to a big call after a couple bowls of good ol' firehouse chili?

The only real advice I have is just relax and enjoy your time there.

Welcome to the wonderful world of being a white cloud
    Your keeping the community safe with just your presence at the station. Spend the time training, so you'll be that much more prepared for when the call actually comes in.

It means your town has the best fire prevention programs.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Thread Information