Thread: Sawzall

Forum Member

Default Sawzall

During an extrication dril guys from my department put a bi-metal blade into the saw. It didnt work too well for cutting the a-pillar and it looked a hell of a lot like a wood blade. Could someone give me some info on types of blades and there uses.

Thanks
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

The term "Bi-Metal" refers to the composition of the blade itself not what it should cut.

For that - you should look at the Teeth Per Inch (or TPI) of the blade.

Typically "Courser" blades (lower number TPI) are for wood, plastic or softer materials. "Finer" or larger number TPI are for metals and harder materials.

The unspoken standard is a blade that is 10-14 TPI Variable - meaning it has varying number of TPI from 10 to 14 along it's length.

I think the exception to this is the Milwaukee "Torch" blade - I can't remember off the top of my head what it is, but it seems I recall it to be a fixed TPI and slightly course.

Here's a couple of good older threads on the topic of best blade you might be interested in. There was a thread I started on the topic way back when but according to FH.com it no longer exist (guess it was older than I thought)
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=19696
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=19577

*Edited to correct the Lenox / Milwaukee thing - Thanks 101*
    Last edited by N2DFire; 05-19-2004 at 09:36 AM.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

N2,"Torch"blades are a Milwaukee product.We use them extensively in our system.Excellent results.Against my better judgement we're beta testing a 18 volt Milwaukee cordless sawsall on the rescue.I'll let you know in a year how that's working out.My favorite is the CORDED 13 amp Supersawsall.With a torch blade it's an awesome "canopener".T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 08-24-2010 at 01:15 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

We run 2 corded Milwaukee sawzalls and 1 18v cordless Milwaukee. The battery operated one just doesn't have the power of the corded ones, even at full charge. we also jsut started using Torch blades, they work well.

What we've found, is if your away from the truck and you don't need light, our 1000watt generator lights will run the saw with no problems. They will work with the light on, just not as well.

-Nick

Forum Member

No problemo Nick,all you need is a squirrel cage with a couple more squirrels and a armature with a little more "sac".We've got a 6.5 on the Rescue and we've been known to tax that on occasion.Wait 'til you see the trinkets at BRR,better bring some napkins(snicker)T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I didn't have any squirrels, but i wound an old coat hanger around my pet hamster, I figure when he starts running in the ol metal wheel I'd be able to get enough juice.

Can't wait for BRR. I was getting a little nervouse until a couple weeks ago, I hadn't heard anything back since I sent in the form back in February. But I got some stuff in the mail from them. I was wondering though, when it says department attire, does he mean station wear or class b type uniform. I mean, I got a short sleeved uniform and all, but a polo shirt and station pants would be alot more comfortable.

-Nick

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey 101 - thanks for the correction on the Torch Blades. Too many Mfg's on the market to keep them all straight.

Good luck w/ the cordless saw. We somehow "lost" our old Milwaukee corded saw (just walked off the truck one day) so I finally managed to get them to replace it. We ended up with the DeWalt 24v Cordless w/ the optional AC adapter. IMHO this is the best of both worlds.

When cordless, the saw has pretty good "oomph" for a few A/B pillar cuts and a windshield if you so desire. If you get into longer or heavier stuff you may end up needing the cord adapter.

Our SOP is to come off the truck w/ the battery and go to work while someone fires up the generator and pulls a cord to the extrication site. Then the Corded adapter is plugged in and ready to swap out if needed.

Our biggest problem is our old rescue truck has no shoreline or other means of external power while in the station so the battery gets charged then left in the saw till it gets used (or tested) which is not very often. If we could keep the charger on the truck & the battery on trickle charge then I think we would see much better performance.

Bottom line - the only real issues we have are not the fault of the saw but of our system.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

I agree with N2Dfire batteries donít last long and not near as much power. I which that Milwaukee make an AC adaptor for there saws. That is a good reason to purchase Dewalt. You have to have a charger in the truck or the batteries will not be charged when you need them.

As for blades the only blade that is worth buying is the torch.

Forum Member

thanks this helps
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Nick,Either would be fine.The auditorium is real comfortable and that's where you'll be for session 1.Saturday,however you'll want to dress real comfortably.The staff will ensure you are well hydrated but the action is intense.We'll show you the "tricks"Fri night but once you enter "Hell's highway" you're on your own. The instructors will be there to guide you if you need help but you need to think on your feet and be creative.My station is "new" this year,it's a "lost"art but one that's bought me a lot of dinners over the years.When you get a chance on break ask Billy what he thinks of lobster,I'll be interested to see what you get for a response.Think you're nervous now? Wait for saturday!Trust me,it's a lot to absorb but the time will pass quickly on the practicals and you'll have a ton of fun and learn a lot.You'll be surrounded by wonderful people who like to network and who just leave you with that warm fuzzy feeling.Just one last tip,Billy talks funny,Hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds cool, having personally wrecked a truck before, it should be interesting.

-Nick

Thread Information