Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Remote Staging Area???

Last night my company responded to factory fire on the third alarm. It went to a fifth alarm. When we got to the scene the boss checked in at the command post and we waited for instructions. Our boss came to us and said we were to go to a staging area (romote from the fire building, 200x200 fyi). When we got to the "staging area" there was no one there. Thats not what got me a little bent but, the fact that the "staging area" was so far down the block that the fire building was totaly out of view. I don't think this makes sense being that conditions at a fire scene are always changing and I would have to do another initial size up, plus if we were needed right away we would have to go pretty far to get back to the scene. Now I'm just a firefighter but this really didn't make much sense. FYI we weren't in the collapse zone before being moved, we were not freelancing, and actually when we were moved the wind was blowing most of the smoke in that direction. Eventually a Chief and a few other companies also made it to the "staging area". What do you think?

I've been at secondary staging locations a mile from a scene.

Not that unusual, and often a pretty good tactic.

Think of this scenario: While the Chief is trying to determine where he most needs you as you sit behind the command post, and you're looking at the building doing your own continuing size-up, a 5" line gets laid behind you blocking you in. Chief tells you to go to the other side...and your answer is, um, we can't, we've been blocked in.

A "typical" if there is such a thing Mill fire in my area will see:
    1st & 2nd alarm companies usually go right into the scene
    3rd & 4th alarm companies get a secondary staging location while enroute...but often will be directed through them by radio right a primary staging location where they get orders from a sector operations officer and/or sector staging officer
    5th alarm & up companies usually do park in the outlying secondary staging areas until they're sent to a sector that has holes to fill.

The secondary staging areas are typically where it's convienent to hold lots of big trucks -- easy to get to, easy to get out of, and not blocking anyone. Think, say, a supermarket parking lot. They might be 1/2 mile or a mile away. And there may be more than one -- say seperate staging areas for apparatus coming from the north and from the south. No hard and fast rules, just somewhere easy to get to and easy to be assigned from.

The primary staging areas on these big fires tend to be real quick check-in points where you get specific assignments -- you'll be setup there, you'll be laying a line back to xxx, etc.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Thumbs up

I dont get the beef .........your personnel shouldnt have to do a size up as there is someone in command who is already staging and/or bringing crews into the scene based on the continuing size up. Also the commander may have limited access to the scene and may not need your rig but just the manpower. This is a perfectly smart choice and one that makes the incident run much smoother.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Well.............

I don't mean to be rude, and if this sounds rude I apoligize, but are you just bent up a bit because you couldn't watch the game from the front row seats? Staging areas, and I've commanded a lot of them, by their very nature should be removed from the work area by at least a couple of blocks. The ideal location is a large, open, lighted, parking lot that is empty. Several entrance/exit avenues are preferred, as well as adequate turning room for large apparatus. In our system, the O.I.C. on the first arriving unit assumes command of the staging sector, passing that command to the first arriving Chief Officer who retains command thru the balance of the incident. The staging area is not picked for the view that it provides, it is picked for it's ability to receive and assign apparatus efficiently.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Default 2 cents...

Please remember that ICS/IMS is somewhat borrowed from
    the military. It is VERY common to stage units, apparatus,
    aircraft and just about anything else anywhere within
    an incident.

Please consider this-

While in staging and having "availible" status,
    you need to be road ready 3 minutes after being
    called.

There could be a staging area manager.

Bottom line- I always try to think of the fire ground
    as a big games of chess. You have pieces with certain
    powers and classifications. You have to be able to
    give them jobs and move them around.

Harv I was kinda wondering the same thing ..........didnt like the cheap seats ?
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: 2 cents...

Originally posted by CALFFBOU

Bottom line- I always try to think of the fire ground
    as a big games of chess. You have pieces with certain
    powers and classifications. You have to be able to
    give them jobs and move them around.
    We will do it more like a checker game since we have to shuttle a lot of water on big scenes. Keep the pieces off the board till they become kings (assigned).

With the amount of truck movement we may have we will even stage incoming tankers at the secondary staging area till we call them to come in. Course we do not have the availability of large parking lots (rural area) so we usually stage them down on a side road somewhere away from the scene till they get called in. If we are looking for manpower what we will do is pull a truck in dump the water and have them bring manpower up with them.

Works for us
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

The views posted here are strickly my own and not of any of the groups I am affiliated with.

IACOJ Member

Maybe I should of been a little more specific; our rig was well out of the way as not to block the view of the commander looking at the 200x200 building. Also there was no rigs being moved or going to be moved for the most part being that we came in on the 3rd alarm and there were tower ladders already set up but not in operation.

Werju1, so are you saying that each firefighter doesn't need to do size up if there is someone of a higher rank on the scene? I really don't think you ment it that way.

Default Re: Well.............

Originally posted by hwoods
    are you just bent up a bit because you couldn't watch the game from the front row seats?
    No more calls please, I think we have a winner.

naw............what I am saying is you need to give a look over .......especially the area you are assigned, but obviously at a greater alarm fire there should be ooodles of people doing a re-sizing if you will.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Thread Information