Thread: FCC question

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FCC question

I'm looking to the FCC experts out there to answer a question.
    I know that an amateur radio operator is shouldn't transmit third party. My question is From a public safety standpoint does on rig in a station telling a dispatcher that all rigs are responding, on the scene, whatever constitute a third party transmission and is that in fact restricted?

I know that the question is a bit odd but we have a ham that brings it up and I'd like to get a final ruling to either change how we do things or let him know he is misinformed.

Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

A firefighter keying up on a radio in a apparatus saying on scene, en route, etc... is in no way against any FCC rules.

Forum Member

Originally posted by MrJim911
    A firefighter keying up on a radio in a apparatus saying on scene, en route, etc... is in no way against any FCC rules.
    But I think what he is asking is, is it OK for Engine 1 to say "Dispatch, Engine 1, Truck 1, Engine 2, and Chief 1 are responding".......... Instead of all units doing it individually.....

Forum Member

Originally posted by firenresq77

But I think what he is asking is, is it OK for Engine 1 to say "Dispatch, Engine 1, Truck 1, Engine 2, and Chief 1 are responding".......... Instead of all units doing it individually.....
    Even in that case it's ok. It cuts down on radio traffic and makes your dispatcher happy.

Seriously though, it's not 3rd party to me the Dispatcher. I know who just keyed up. And if they know all the other units are on scene or en route then so be it. My units do it frequently. Anyway, no one from the FCC is listening, but it's not restricted anyway.

dazed and confused

Q. What is a "third-party communication"?

A. Section 97.3 defines the term "third-party communication" as a message from the control operator (first party) of an amateur station to another amateur station control operator (second party) on behalf of another person (third party).

As public safety users, we do not fall under the requirements of amateur radio operators.

"Third Party Transmission" regulation is for completely different situations. Here is a summary.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ama...ations.html#s5
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Your FCC license covers your bases station(s) and mobile and portable radios. As long as they are being used appropriately for Public Safety communications they are covered. Resq14 is right about the amateur radio.

Dave

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank You, for the information. That's what I like about the forums it is like a fireservice version of "mythbusters"

Thread Information