CTFD52
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Harrisburg Fire Expo

Anyone here goin to the Harrisburg Fire Expo this weekend?

MembersZone Subscriber

Nope, and won't be until they make it more of a trade show and less of a whacker-fest.

HNFC FF/President

I would if i had transportation, but I don't get my license until the 25th!

The 2002 show was a good one, didn't go last year.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

I don't care if it's a whacker fest... It's fun to go and look at all the new technologies; the apparatus; buy some collectibles. Plus, it's one of the only places to buy the PA EMT shirts we wear on calls. I never miss it! Sometimes ya have to be a whacker... Helps to pass the time.

Forum Member

Exclamation

I went, I saw, I left.

When they changed to the new building, you have to park away from the main entrance and walk forever to get there. The new area is nice, BUT the older area are not air condition and it was a beast in there on Friday. The temperture was very high.

Plenty of vendors to take your money for what ever you wanted at fair to high prices and plenty of apparatus displays.

The food concessions are sky high if you wanted a bottle of pop or a dog to eat.

This will be my last trip up there. I like it better when it was in Lancaster in the open fields.

Forum Member

Post Some Things Better, Some things Not

I agree with CaptOldTimer, in part. Here's my take:

Pros:
    - Wider spacing in the aisles between vendors. It gave you more space to get around the crowds at the whacker booths!!
    - Apparatus Displays
    - Seeing all the 'Whacker-Mobiles' in the parking lot.

Cons:
    - Too many whacker booths...I really am NOT interested in any "I Fight What You Fear" or "Bad Boyz" t-shirts or stickers.
    - A/C worked in some places and others there was none
    - High food and drink prices

Overall, I didn't mind taking the day off to attend on Friday...less crowds. Prices for merchandise were good for some things and not a bargain for others. I went with the sole purpose of getting a pair of leather bunker boots and ended up with a decent deal. If you were looking for a helmet, the prices were lower than normal. But overall, the prices were around what they would've been if the item was on sale.

We'll see what next year's bring!!
    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Forum Member

I also went on Friday; I like having a choice on what to buy; everyone had pretty much the same price on the same products. So it wasn't worth walking around all the buildings, but we did anyway. Drove 5 hours to get there, may as well make a day of it. All I look for is firemark specialties for the PA DOH EMT shirts... and Henley Board for a new, trauma bag-which was over priced terribly, I bought it anyway.

The new part was Air conditioned, but not enough to make a difference w/ hundreds of people walking around you. There was a crowd growing around the vendors w/ operating ejector fans; and those fans that spray water for rehab. That's what the place truely needed, a rehab zone... The aisles in the vendor section were too close together, you couldn't really stop and look and neat stuff b/c all the crap that newbies buy. Someone standing there for fifteen minutes talking about the imortance of having a strap for every pair of gloves... All those tacky T-Shirt vendors are annoying, you would get the same reaction if you paint "I'm a firefighter" on your forehead. I mean, it's a fire exposition; do people need to prove they are firefighters? And yes, there are some major whacker vehicles. I'd hate to see how much some of them cost.

But the heat was worse than any of it... No place to sit down really; that wasn't being blasted by a fan airing out a kitchen or pipe run. Bottles of water were expensive, and at first weren't that cold. Got to the old part w/ the skylights; was so hot thought the golf carts were gonna have to come get me. Some *** was flinging compartment doors open, wasn't looking and hit me on the head. ****ed off a KME guy b/c I told a buyer of their truck that the step plates he loves so much, break off b/c the welding wasn't meant for rural roads.

So I'll go next year, wear something cooler; unless I can buy my emt shirts from the DOH... Then I won't bother going. Yes, Dutch Wonderland was better...

Forum Member

I went the last two years but I have been really busy lately so didn't get to make it out there. oh well another time.

I would if i had transportation, but I don't get my license until the 25th!
    oh thats scary lol good luck man I went on the 20th to Washington for my road test and failed because apparently I wasnt using my mirrors but whatever I'll wait 2 weeks and go again.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

I went Friday as well, To me it didn't seem as large as last year, and It was HOT!!!, Spent alot of time with the Jaws vendors and got a lot of questions answered, Overall it wasn't too bad.
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Forum Member

Exclamation

I was there on Saturday and it was crowded and HOT!! I saw a few things that I like and some I didn't. I didn't make it to the rear building as I was about to pass out from the heat and being run over by baby strollers and women who had no sense of direction. They were just wandering around like lost sheep.

I may not go back again. Will go to Baltimore where it is more productive.

Thread Information