MembersZone Subscriber

Question FDNY list number

Does anyone know how one guy gets a higher list number than the other when they both have the same score. I got a 100 and 100 with no extra points putting me at 2074. I know im not the only one that scored that with no extras so whats up? Is there some sort of tie breaker?

Not sure but I think it has something to do with your social security number.

MembersZone Subscriber

ATRAINX -- that's a great question, that I thought about a couple of times as well. I thought perhaps when they received your initial application, but I doubt that type of time/effort would be put into it.

Be curious if anyone really finds out

Jim

How much higher did he get than you?? Realize that roughly what 18,000 people passed the test so there will be some kind of "tie" per say. Its just a crap shoot from there I think. If he got residency then he will be way higher than you. It is a weird process and I am loving every minute of it. This is way exciting to even be considered to be a FDNY Fireman. Gotta love it.

Default list number

received my list number last week my,i'm 719 anyone have any idea how long it will take to get called?

MembersZone Subscriber

I figured alphabetically myself. I assumed that if you got 200 people with a score of 98.461 it got listed alphabetically.

And also, make sure your facts are straight, there were not 18,000 who passed the test. 16,000 were eligable to take the physical examination, and only 7,300 or so passed everything to be on the list.

MembersZone Subscriber

if you have the same score as someone else, the tie breaker is the last 4 digits of your s.s.#...but they can do it either normal or invert the numbers, it depends on the list but thats how they manage the list

New York, NY: The city so awesome, they named it twice!

Originally posted by FRO516BMX
    if you have the same score as someone else, the tie breaker is the last 4 digits of your s.s.#...but they can do it either normal or invert the numbers, it depends on the list but thats how they manage the list
    I am almost 100% certain that the tiebreaker is the last five digits of the social security number, and that it is always read from left to right, never inverted. The lower the number, the lower (better ranking) on the list.

For example, someone with a SS# of XXX-X1-4238 will have a better list number than someone else with SS# XXX-X3-1001 if their scores are equal.

That is NYS Civil Service law, so that only pertains to civil service lists within the state of New York.
    Last edited by UsingAllHands; 05-24-2004 at 08:44 AM.

Thread Information