Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Mount Pleasant, SC Fire Department

Does anyone have any information on the Mount Pleasant,S.C. Fire Department? Looking for info on what schedule they work, if they have an IAFF local, call volume, and the overall environment of working conditions, # of stations and any M/A calls Any information would be appreciated. Thank You For Your Time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Mount Pleasant

Mount Pleasant is one of the fastest growing cities in South Carolina. They currently have I believe 5 stations. They run E- One's I think and first respond. Hiring is not as complicated in the South as other states. It helps if you are a EMT. They do treat there guys pretty well I have a friend that works there and he hasn't said anything to bad. They tend to stay out of the gossip pool pretty much. If you had your choice of Mt. Pleasant or Charleston, Take Mt. Pleasant. I work for a neighboring dept- Goose Creek City
    \
    Good luck

Forum Member

Thumbs up Mt. Pleasant , SC Fire Department

Arringnl,

Thanks for the info. I have NFPA 1001 DOD Firefighter 1 & 2 and a EMT Card. I submitted an application and my certs to the department. They replied saying that they weren't currently hiring but my app. would remain on file. Do you know what the hiring process is for Mt. Pleasant? Do they have a written exam or physical agility or interview? Do they hire often? How is the turnover rate?
    I appreciate all the info. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think that they have an over abundance of criteria for hiring. I don't know what type of salary your are looking for but the average starting around here is $24,000. Try these depts.

City of Goose Creek- My dept Im not sure if we are looking an EMT or PM or what.
    City of Hanahan- They always have openings- They run EMS/Fire/Rescue

City of North Charleston- there pretty easy to get on.
    James Island Public Service District
    St. Pauls Public Service District
    Awendaw Fire Dept
    Summerville Fire Dept.
    Moncks Corner FD
    Colleton County Fire Rescue- They are the highest paid- cover rural areas.
    City of Charleston is a political game.

You have a plus in that you are an EMT. The South is not as difficult to obtain a firefighting job. So good luck.

If you go to www,sconfire.com it lists a lot of the openings in the state.

MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

Hey arringl,

I believe someone I used to know is on the job w/you. Attended the same college and fire science program. Even tested at a FD or 2 at the same time. After he went out east I ended up joining his old volly dept. His last name is Turner.

He must have 13 years or better on the job there I imagine.

fieldseng2

Forum Member

Question Mt. Pleasant, SC Fire Department

Thanks for the info,

Does Mt. Pleasent FD have a IAFF Local?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default turner

yeah, the short fellow works here. sc is not a union state.

Forum Member

Question Beaufort,SC Fire Department

Arringnl,

Do you have any info on the Beaufort FD????

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Beaufort

Beaufort isn't a bad dept. They have some nice equipment I'm not sure hiring process. You can go to the South Carolina Firemen's Association and request a statistician report which gives you alot of info on the depts in the state such as equipment, slaries, contacts etc. It is easier although to get jobs in the Charleston area. We just had a EMT resign today so we have openings in goose creek. You should go to sconfire.com and they have info about some of these depts we have discussed.

Default ? about City of Charleston

Why is City of Charleston a political game??????.What is there testing process like????.

What is city of North Charleston. What is there testing process like????. Do they hire people from north?????? I herd they wont even look at you if you are from the North?

How hard is it to get hired in these City’s and what are there testing process like ???

Isle of Palms

City of Georgetown

Horry County

Myrtle Beach

Than you for any information

Question Marine Parris Island,SC Fire & Emergency Services

Arringnl,

Do you have any information on the Marine Parris Island Fire & Emergency Services Looking for info on what schedule they work, if they have an a IAFF local, call volume, and the overall environment of working conditions, # of stations and any M/A calls with town or city Any information would be appreciated. I put in for a job thair, so I'am looking for some info. Do they have a web site????

Lightbulb SC Fire Department

bfdladder5,

Horry County, SC Fire/Rescue

The Horry County Fire and Rescue Department is accepting applications for the position of Firefighter/Paramedic. Under direct supervision the person will perform various activities and functions in fire suppression, rescue and advanced emergency medical care. They will complete records and reports as required as well as assist in educating the public regarding life safety. They will also perform equipment, facilities and grounds maintenance duties. They will report to the Fire Captain.

Specific duties and responsibilities:
    • Selects and utilizes appropriate firefighting equipment in controlling and extinguishing fires.

• Activities include handling hoses, ventilating areas, removing people from danger.

• Raising and climbing ladders, forcing entry and overhauling burned areas.

• Provides basic and advanced life support treatment to patients.

• Obtains patient medical history if possible, assesses physical condition of patients and makes decisions regarding proper courses of action.

• Performs such duties as CPR, cardiac monitoring, medication calculation and administration, splint application, wound treatment, control of bleeding, monitoring and relaying of vital signs, oxygen and IV therapy administration, sterile suctioning, defibrillation, ERG monitoring and the management of cardiac arrest and severe trauma patients.

• Performs extrication of victims from wreckage as necessary.

Minimum training and experience:

• High school education or GED with technical training in fire service and a paramedic certification supplemented by one to two years of EMS and firefighting experience.

• Or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities.

• Must be in good health and complete periodic required training in order to maintain County requirements.

• Must possess a valid state driver's license.

• A copy of the applicant's driving record must be provided.

APPLY AT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT, PO BOX 997, CONWAY, SC, 29528, OR AT THE HORRY COUNTY GOVERNMENT & JUSTICE CENTER, 1302 SECOND AVENUE, CONWAY, SOUTH CAROLINA, 292526. HORRY COUNTY IS "FAMILY-FRIENDLY GOLD CERTIFIED." HORRY COUNTY GOVERNMENT DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, GENDER, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE OR DISABILITY

The North Charleston Fire Department is accepting applications for the position of firefighter.

Applicants must be certified in ONE of the following to be considered for employment:

• SC Fire Academy 1121 (Basic Firefighter I) and 1131 (Interior Structural Firefighter)

• 1152 Basic OSHA Firefighter

• IFSAC Firefighter I

All applicants must meet these following standards:

• 18 years of age

• High School diploma or GED

• Valid SC Carolina Drivers license

• Good driving record

• Be of good character and reputation (per state law all applicants will be checked for criminal • records

All applicants will undergo a series of tests that include:

• JRPAT or Job Related Physical Agility Test. This test is similar to the Firefighter Combat

• Challenge© and must be completed under 7 minutes 30 seconds.

• Drug test

• Physical exam

• Written proficiency exam

For more information on health and benefit packages you may visit the North Charleston FD website at www.ncfd.org and click the link for employment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Hiring

I don't want to sound stupid but why don't you contact the City of Goose Creek Fire Dept. We currently have 6 openings 3 for FFPM, 3 FFEMT. The pay range is 24,000 to 30,000. 24/48. We run fire ems rescue. Just received a heavy rescue today. I've been here for 14 yrs. would like to move to the mountains someday? If you are interested contact Assistant Chief Norm Cutshall 843-863-5213 on Tuesday. The job opening is on this web site also our webpage is to.

Eng. Arrington

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Parris Island Fire Dept

Being a Marine aboard Parris Island and a volunteer I know a great deal about P.I. FD. They run their butts off but all medical. PI gets incredibly hot so in the summer they will make as many as 10 to 15 medical calls for heat exhaustion and heat stroke. They see absolutely no fire. Other than a couple range fires a year. They had light smoke in the bank but turned out to be a short in the electrical. And a dumpster fire. But on the other hand they make a boat load of money. Start out I believe at 55,000 with mandatory over time. Medics make even make more. Their engines are all brand new als. pierces. They also run the ambulance service on base. If you can't get on there then try Beaufort Air Station which is 5 miles away. They see a bit more fire due to coverage in the older base housing areas.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

SC is a right-to-work (for less) state. There is no collective bargaining; thus no IAFF representation.

You can do better elsewhere.

IM22

MembersZone Subscriber

Which is the best to work for City of Columbia, North Charleston, or Pleasant.

Thread Information