Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Darley Pumpers

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Darley Pumpers

I would like to hear from anyone that has a new Darley Pumper.

Any problems?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Poly body

I am curious to hear recent experiences as well, especially if you have a recent truck with a poly body.

MembersZone Subscriber

We received our Darley rescue pumper almost 1 year ago.

Check out http://www.willingtonfire.org/rescue113.htm

It has a poly body, 1500 GPM rear mount pump with 220 cfm CAFS system.

So far, so good. What would you like to know about it?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm mainly curious if you've had any major problems. Darley isn't that big in my area, and I really don't know much about them. How is the Poly body holding up?

Thanks.

I grew up on a department that was very pro-Darley until fairly recently when they bought two E-One units. Not sure why, but their latest unit was a FL/Darley, so they've gone back to them. They run an older late 80's/early 90's Ford C/Darley that has held up very well. They do not run poly bodies, but another neighboring department has a very large three axle engine with enclosed pump panel on a Mack chassis with a poly body, and they seem very pleased. They've ordered a second unit.

I really haven't figured out Darley. Everything I've heard is that their pumps are strong, but they have a very small market share. Maybe that will change, as they're building Seagrave's brand of pumps, correct? I've also heard that they no longer truly build their own trucks, instead they "sub" it out, but that could be vicious rumor. Anyone know the truth on this one?

Also search the old threads here, there was much discussion on poly bodies not that long ago.

We don't have any Darley "pumpers"but we do have a few Darley pumps bought by the previous administration.We won't have any more.We were Hale for years with no issues then they got a "deal"on a couple units with Darleys.One of the units would marginally pass test for the first 5 years,now it won't pass test at all.These pumps have had numerous issues at various events over their lifespans.For our area,type of work,maintainence schedules etc, they do not compare favorably with the Hales.I would label ours as marginally effective.Because of the issues we've encountered I refuse to spec ANYTHING with a Darley.There are a few nice features like the "pellet"packing but the overall quality and reliability of the Hales FAR outweigh these conveniences.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber Crisb1419's Avatar

Poly Body. Who is making that?

Default Poly Bodies

Crisb1419:

First off I am the Regional Sales Manager fro Pro Poly of America.

We manufacturer PolyBilt poly bodies. PolyBilt is a joint venture between Pro Poly America and Darley. We have many units on the street now with some in Africa and England. John Dennis Coach Builders just premiered a unit with our body at a show across the pond and the report rave reviews.

I want to try to be fair and balanced therefore: UPF also does build a poly body.

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
    Fyrtrks

MembersZone Subscriber Crisb1419's Avatar

FYRTRKS Please e-mail me crisb1419@yahoo.com, I would like to ask you some questions outside this forum. If thats not a problem. Thanks

Originally posted by Rescue101
    We don't have any Darley "pumpers"but we do have a few Darley pumps bought by the previous administration.We won't have any more.We were Hale for years with no issues then they got a "deal"on a couple units with Darleys.One of the units would marginally pass test for the first 5 years,now it won't pass test at all.These pumps have had numerous issues at various events over their lifespans.For our area,type of work,maintainence schedules etc, they do not compare favorably with the Hales.I would label ours as marginally effective.Because of the issues we've encountered I refuse to spec ANYTHING with a Darley.There are a few nice features like the "pellet"packing but the overall quality and reliability of the Hales FAR outweigh these conveniences.T.C.
    +

This could be like a E-One vs Pierce thread

We have had very good luck over the years with darley pumps, most of them in inhouse built/front mount configuration. Our newest Darley pump is 13 years old, and it still exceeds pump test by 20%.

And we have good luck with the Hale pumps on our E-0nes.

I have no experience with Waterous, so I can't comment on them.

Not from my end PFD! These have a nasty habit of non performance at serious events.Cut the engine out of line and replace it with one of the Hales and the evolution continues with no issues.They are both maintained by the same company on the same schedule.If you have good luck with them,congratulations!I've nearly had crews cooked when they decide to throw one of their little fits which doesn't happen with our hales.With that in mind and the flawless performance of our Hales,I see no reason to go Darley.I'm not into bashing products but I know what works for us and what doesn't.See above.So for the rest of my years here all new apparatus will be spec'ed Hale.Not subject to debate or alteration. PS I don't get into the E-one/Pierce debates,we don't owm either one,Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

My self , never had any problems with a Darley, thet just sounded like they were gonna explode --- but we may be talking apples/oranges here. 101 were your pumps midship? I thinl PFDs were bumper pumps. I know you couldnt beat a Barton/American front mt pump , but some of their midships tended to have problems. The best I remember Darley pumps used 20 wt oil as opposed to Hale/Waterous using 90 wt. That always concerned me.

Slack,we've got 5 darleys.Two of the 600gpm volume portables(so called portables hehe)1 hi-pressure portable,one two stage mid-ship and one single stage midship.Of the lot the single stage midship is the most useless.It would barely do a thousand new,now it's rated at 750.It's in an outside house and due for replacement within two years so all we're going to do is keep it running.T.C.

Forum Member

Maybe some one can tell us if their is a major difference between Darley midships and front mounts. Like I said on the Barton Americans, in my opinion you couldnt beat their bumper pumps, but my pump man said to stay away from their mid ships.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Darley Apparatus & Pumps

If you have questions or problems, you can go to www.darley.com, enter the forum section and ask Peter Darley about apparatus or Jim Darley about pump issues.

We have been using Darley pumps for as long as I can remeber here in South Australia and have never really had any major issues. Recently we tried some Waterous pumps and have had more issues that could fill a book bigger than war and peace. All pumpers have been in for a full pump rebuild after 4 years of service, all orders after this have switched back to Darley, my station never received a Waterous pump so I can't comment on the finer details but every time our neighbouring station rocked up with the spare appliance we heard all about the problem!!!

Default My 100 cents and a cup of McDonalds coffee

For the majors to have stayed in business this long, they have had to have built some reliable pumps

MembersZone Subscriber

Stuart - I didn't realize that was your rig, although I am somewhat familiar with it. Very well designed piece of apparatus, probably on my top 25 list - a comment I do not give or take lightly at all. I'd like to pop down and see it in service at some point (perhaps when I get down to see Trumbull's). Drop me a line at CLanger@firehousemail.com

Thread Information