Default American Lafrance???

Our volunteer department is switching from e-ones ot American Lafrances. anyways if you guys have these what do ya'all think about them? what body style do ya have? any pictures?

thanks

Later

MembersZone Subscriber

Koontzy,
    What FD are you with? I am with the City of North Charleston Fire Department. We have switched to ALF's... mainly because the manufacturing facility is in our city...

but seriously... the first two we are getting go on the road next week so I cannot talk about performance. I can talk about the way they look and compartmentation. I feel we are more than satisfied with that aspect.

You can go to the ALF site at http://www.americanlafrance.com and look at their body styles on the web.

Here are our two rigs.

This the heavy rescue

and this is the 100'mid mount platform

Hope this helps.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

I am with goose creek rural volunteer fire dept...

I know exactly where you guys are) just down the road.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

oh yes... the "Rural"! You guys got one helluva deal on your trucks. I doubt anyone at ALF will be making money on that deal. Good luck with them.

www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

This is our new engine 9. It is an Eagle Chassis with a 750 gallon tank and a 1250gpm 2 stage pumpclick here and go to the Chuckatuck engine for better pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by upinflames60; 05-22-2004 at 07:16 PM.
    Burgess Wills
    Firefighter/EMT
    Windsor Vol. Fire Department
    Chuckatuck Vol. Fire Department

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Time

Sconfire, How long did it take from order date to in service date to get your trucks from ALF?

MembersZone Subscriber

Both of our vehicles were already built and were supposed to be demo's. Our chief and mayor worked a deal and snagged them before they got on the road. We never had to go into a wait period for these. We will be getting a new engine this June or July and a new telesqurt next winter. We will see if we get them on time.

I know there have been delivery issues... but apparently thy (ALF) has done some restructuring and is turning vehicles out faster now. I was at the plant the other day and was amazed at the vehicles that are being built... we will see...

www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

well, i can't give any recent knowledge, but i know that 4 years ago my vollie company in NEPA was still running 2 ALF engines and one truck. truck was from ca 1968, engine 11 was 1974-ish, adn engine 12 was 1982. from what i understand, they jsut took delivery on brand new engines and truck. not sure if htey are ALF though.

the 3 old pieces were still running when i went up there 2 years ago to visit. not that there are a lot of fires up there, but i think it does testify to longevity...
    IACOJ
    "May the gods be between you and the darkness in all the empty places in which you must walk." Ancient Blessing

Forum Member

Ahhhhhhh .. the old days of REAL American LaFrances .... truly the classic American Fire Truck ... guess I am showing my age again huh.
    Wow .. the sounds like an idea for a thread.

MembersZone Subscriber

Speaking of old ALF's, we have a few...

Permanently Removed

Default ALF...

Not a big fan of the old or new American LaCHANCEs.

Forum Member

Exclamation Re: ALF...

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
    Not a big fan of the old or new American LaCHANCEs.

I am with Bou here. We had ALF's back in the 70's. They were the worst riding and operating pieces we ever had. We must have gotten some of the last ones that were made in Elmira before they moved. I have seen some of the new models that have since came out after the re org and they still look like the name every one was giving them American La Junk. People I have talked too said they wished they never bought them.

They are kinda like Emergency One and KME put together and it turned out to be ALF.

The units built back in the years back up to the 70's were good. Too bad they are not building them like those now.

Capt. i may be wrong but it sounds like you might be a Pierce guy?
    Burgess Wills
    Firefighter/EMT
    Windsor Vol. Fire Department
    Chuckatuck Vol. Fire Department

MembersZone Subscriber

I like their "looks" personally, but I know another dept here in S.C. that has a relatively new rescue that is already slated to return to ALF because the doors are splitting between the interior/exterior welds. We have a new Pierce heavy rescue, so you all know I'm happy No problems with it...
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

Thumbs down

My department has 2 98 Lafrances, and had a 79 Lafrance 1000 pumper until a few years ago. The old one pumped great even after the body started to fall off. The two newer ones, I don't have a single good word to say about them. We originally leased them for 5 years, and despite the problems, the chief has decided to keep them because we'd lose to much of our investment on the turn in-"besides, they've been almost completely rebuilt".

We switched from Pierce to Lafrance for the 2 rigs in 98 bcause Freightliner opened a dealer in our community. After the problems started, they refused to honor our warranty. The rigs are identical, 1500 gpm/500 gal Rescue/Pumper types. The chassis is ALF with a body by Spencer, a company in western Michigan. Naturally, ALF and Spencer blame each other for many of the problems.

A list of the problems that I'm aware of, and I am not assigned to either company:
    -At least 5 alternators (2 on E4 last week)replaced per rig
    -2 transmissions each
    -Rust, rust rust
    -compartments doors out of alignment on delivery
    -a flood of water sloshing on the officer if the A/C is on (condensation)
    -so many electrical problems that both trucks have been completely rewired, without improvement
    -water tanks leak
    -poor service and warranty work

Our apparatus committee did a lot of research before going with ALF/Spencer. Unfortunately, ALF was new, and Spencer had done most of it's rigs for volunteer departments with low run volumes. My department puts approx 2000 runs and 12K miles on our engines each year.

We are not alone. Detroit bought a bunch of Lafrances right after us, including two tillered aerials. One of the aerials snapped during acceptance testing by DFD, but ALF fixed it and DFD had to keep it. The engines they bought had problems similar to ours. Detroit now buys Pierce, as we have since 99.

No manufacturer makes a perfect fire truck, and I freely admit we've had some problems with the Pierces too. But the ALFs are the worst I'ver ever seen.

Forum Member

I seem to like ALF... Maybe it's just what you buy that makes the difference...

First apparatus was an ALF...

Forum Member

Last apparatus was an ALF...

MembersZone Subscriber

now that i get more of a chance ot ride fire pieces than i used to in the old days with the ALF, i have to say that i have been on seagraves, salsbury, freightliner, and pierce. all told, i would rather have a seagrave than anythign else. pierce isn't bad, salsbury was pretty good, and frieghtliner is a the biggest piece of crap that ever took to the roads.
    IACOJ
    "May the gods be between you and the darkness in all the empty places in which you must walk." Ancient Blessing

Forum Member

Default sounds like the same problems

(A list of the problems that I'm aware of, and I am not assigned to either company:
    -At least 5 alternators (2 on E4 last week)replaced per rig
    -2 transmissions each
    -Rust, rust rust
    -compartments doors out of alignment on delivery
    -a flood of water sloshing on the officer if the A/C is on (condensation)
    -so many electrical problems that both trucks have been completely rewired, without improvement
    -water tanks leak
    -poor service and warranty work)

Replaced 3 altenators on our lafrance rescue new one is 270 amps,
    (due to low voltage burnt the mother boards up in two radios)
    Body on our truck is aluminium but the prep job was bad so the paint is falling of is 1/2" flakes. Don't pressure wash the truck in the winter or the 1/2" flakes turn into 2 and 3" flakes.
    Had the same flooding problem but we did get this repaired
    On the electrical problems that list is long from shorted stobe lights, Q wiring melting, and on and on local wiring company hates to see this truck.
    Brakes stick and you have to stand on the gas to the floor till the release.
    Truck design has 5000 pounds more on the front axel than rear, making truck hard to steer and does not go in the snow.
    Slide out trays are falling apart after 3 years
    Service and warranty work we don't even try anymore we send it to a local trucking company and have them repair it.
    Little side not on service, we were looking at new aerials and Lafrance brought one for us to test drive, the power steering pump went and we were told that the dealer had a 24/7 service truck and the truck would be fixed the next day. 3 days later the showed up and had the wrong part so the came back on the fourth day and fixed it. Needless to say our new aerial was a Pierce and after 2 years of having it we have had no major problems.
    The best truck in our fleet is a 1991 E-ONE on a international chassie in 13 years the only thing we have done is put a altenator on it this year
    ASST.102
    The few the proud the firefighters from 102

I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

$350,000 2004 Eagle. Momma always said "If you can't say nothin nice don't say anything." So, here we go, good a/c.

Thread Information