Leather Forever

Default Capital Community College Fire Service Admin.

I was wondering if anybody has gotten a degree in Fire Service Admin from Capital Community College in Hartford. Unfortunatly the leather helmet refurbishment business doesn't make enough bank for tution at University of New Haven. So it looks like I'll be attending Capital this Sept.

IACOJ Agitator

I haven't but I thought about getting my AS there and down the road finish my BS at New Haven. I have enough college credits that I should hopefully only have to take one semester at Capital to get my AS.

The good news for Officer I's and Instructor I's out there: They are worth college credit at Capital and I think even New Haven.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Still looking for Waldo. Have you seen him?

I take courses there (on and off) toward my degree. So far, I cannot say enough about the Building Construction class. Jim Q. is an excellent instructor. Anybody should take that regardless if they want a degree or not.

I found that "Intro to Fire Prevention and Inspection" taught very little about fire prevention and nothing about inspection. "Automatic Sprinklers and Standpipe Systems" is taught by an insurance guy who teaches it like you're an insurance guy. Countless hours are spent learning about how you would classify an occupancy for insurance rates and very little time was spent teaching you about the actual systems and things you want to know from a FF's standpoint.

Adze is correct. There are several academy classes that will transfer in for credit. EMT is a tech elective. FFII is a tech elective. Instructor will take care of Effective Speaking. Fire Officer I will handle Municipal Fire Administration. There may be some other certs that will also transfer in.

Since I've only taken 3 classes there so far, I can't say that all of them are bad. Depending on your past experience, you may learn very little or quite a lot.

I commend you on your desire to educate yourself further. There is nothing wrong with fighting of "stagnant brain syndrome"! What are your hopes by getting a degree? Paid FF job, insurance job, other job?

Leather Forever

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. It's much appreciated. I was able to transfer a few credits from other schools and apply a few of my certs. I've known Jim Quish for a long time. This past summmer I took a pump operators course with him and Carlo Pesosantini. It was an excellent class. I attempted college in 1995 when I was 18. I was neither focused nor driven at the time. Now at 27 I'm ready to go back and buckle down. My hopes is get my associates at Capital and then transfer for a bachelors. Overall the goal is to get on a career department. I spent the last few years on the road with Cirque Du Soleil as a health and safety coordinator. Because I traveled so much I was unable to pursue a career position

Matt Firestone

MembersZone Subscriber

That must have been interesting touring with Cirque Du Soleil. Life experience is one of the best educators.

Best of luck to you in getting hired. The degree will not necessarily write your ticket in, but may be the one thing that will edge you higher than the next guy to get on.

I'm not sure how much you love (or hate) EMS, but one way that strongly helps getting hired is a Paramedic certification. Two of the towns that border you are ALS providers that lean heavily on hiring Medics over EMTs. Just another suggestion.

Good luck with your endeavors!

Two of the towns that border you are ALS providers that lean heavily on hiring Medics over EMTs.

Manchester would be one...

Is East Hartford the other???

---
    btw...lovin' the "Signal 50" nick
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber

Manchester would be one...

Is East Hartford the other???
    Yep.

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by InAndUp

Yep.
    Yuppers...heard East Hartford's contract says they need at least 33% paramedics and can only hire paramedics until they reach that %. After that, they can hire EMTs.

I believe Manchester got into the habit with Chief Webber of only hiring paramedics.

Jim Quish is an excellent instructor. He actually did a class for FDIC last year.

Carlo Pesosantini
    I believe you are referring to Carlo Piacentini...nothing like a good hack job on a last name...
    IACOJ Agitator

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Adze39

Yuppers...heard East Hartford's contract says they need at least 33% paramedics and can only hire paramedics until they reach that %. After that, they can hire EMTs.

Our contract states that the chief is to retain 33% (approx. 40) medics. Even when that number is reached, I doubt they will open hiring back up to EMTs for a while. There is nothing in the contract that states a maximum number of medics.

That number was created based on Medic 1, a 2 man ALS truck. Now with the talk of ALS pumpers in the works, its quite possible they'll keep hiring all medics for a while.

IACOJ Agitator

Are you EHFD? I thought you were Meriden?
    IACOJ Agitator

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Adze39
    Are you EHFD? I thought you were Meriden?
    Yes to EH. I do believe that a brother from Meriden uses the same avatar, though.

IACOJ Agitator

Yeah, I was thinking of CrossBro1.
    IACOJ Agitator

Leather Forever

I have been debating Paramedic school since I got off tour.I felt that finishing college should be my first move. However, it will probably be in the cards in the near future. As far as a career position goes I have started to look outside of CT. Working with Cirque enabled to make a lot of connections in the fire service all over the country. I feel fortunate that I have been able to be involved in the fire service over the past years.

To Adze39: I figured I totally hacked Carlo's last name It didn't look right. I was typing faster than I was thinking. Carlo happens to be my Captain's brotherlaw so I see him on a regular basis

IACOJ Agitator

Speaking of Paramedic School...

The two guys (I know one of them) who just got hired by East Hartford finished Paramedic School at Capital CC just in time to get hired. Talk about good timing!
    IACOJ Agitator

Thread Information