Thread: Brushbreakers

Forum Member

Default Brushbreakers

These seem to be very popular in the North East and parts of the South. Just curious how they are used, do they really just smash through brush and small trees? Why are they used in these areas and not elsewhere. Out West (CA) a standard grill guard is plenty and saws or dozers open the roads if the brush is too thick.

I spent about 10 years with the Feds fighting wildland fires though oput the West but never saw these in action.

Just looking for some information on the how and why of these beasts, here is a pic of an example of what I'm talking about.

Thanks

Forum Member

Sooo... nobody uses these?

Just wondering what the deal is with the extra study cage, either there are alot of really bored welders with surplus steel in these areas or there is a use for these critters that rest of us don't have (or handle differantly). Just looking for the basic operating guidelines for them, strictly curiosity, Thanks.

Give me a few days, I'll take a trip down to Springfield Vermont and see if I can get a photo of there "Brush" unit. Same style truck, although it's not as armored if I remember correctly.

These units do break through small trees, piles of brush, etc. Recently near my fathers property there was a fire that was set during the night where a logger was operating. Set the skidder on fire along with dropping small trees and brush over the road. The fire department brought in both of their duce-and-a-halfs and were able to clear the road for the crews. The roads were the only way in or out unless the crews wanted to climb up ledge in the middle of the night.

I don't believe any departments in my area (Central through Southern Vermont, Southern NH) have bulldozers or any similar equipment. Feel free to correct me any time about that. Like I said above, give me a few days and I'll go snap some photos of SFD's 2 rigs.

[B]Update:[B] I heard from one of my friends that they have 3! Maybe they got a new one!
    Last edited by 42VTExplorer; 06-16-2004 at 02:10 PM.

Apparently when I replied last night it didn't update the "last post" and move it up the page. Well here's the bump so that you see it DOES have more posts.

Thread Information