Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Any engine company chaffeurs?

If there is any engine company chaffeurs with any thing involving pump operation, truck operations, or a list of jobs the engine company chaffeurs must accomplish, I am very interested and would appreciate any information and material. You can post it or email me it.

LISRAREF@optonline.net

Wink

chauffers job is to get water from a stone
    Last edited by len1582; 05-09-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Default Chauffeur

I hope this is what you are looking for.Many moons ago I was instructed to drive and operate a 1937 Leyland "Tiger" aerial ladder. I was issued with a set of gauntlets and goggles( the machine was a open cab). The appliance was used "in anger" during the Second World War--if I remember correctly the registration number was "CFB 1". This was back in 1963. It drove like a pig on roller skates---all of us "Ladder Operators" were over the moon when it was retired and the modern Hydraulic versions came into play. The previous versions(Metze/Magiruse) were all "mechanical" and had no "cutouts"--very dangerous for the untrained--the Hydraulic versions were "Idiot Proofed"! Then came the "Snorkels"--never had a chance to play with them-I had retired from the job by then.
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

What kind of training programs do your departments have? What kind of things did they teach at courses or training for drivers? What kind of policies does your state/department have regarding traffic/getting to calls?

-Properly position apparatus
    -Help deploy (near the apparatus) and charge hoselines
    -Establish type of water needed (Hydrant, Drafting, etc.)and direct next company in to make the water source.
    -Assess structure from their location
    -Keep track of equipment taken off engine.
    -Deploy 2 1/2" 50' length for hookup to next in engine if water needed

We train on driving course once per year, mandatory 4 hour class every year, Oral pump operation testing once per year and various other drafting, Master stream and other shift trainings throughout the year. All operators must be state certified in Fire Apparatue Enginner (FAE) class. This is a 40 hour class on pumps and operations.

Thread Information