Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default New Fire Explorer

any tips for a new fire explorer

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

watch out for pranks

always mess with the new guy...luckily i was the 'new guy' for 20 days, then another junior joined.

Keep your ears open, the people you'll be working with know what they're doing. Don't hesitate to ask questions, the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. Calm down, we all have those rushes when that pager alerts, take a deep breath and go smoothly.

welcome to the show
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

mdoddsjffhnfc said it best..They will getcha good once....They stuck me on a 4 inch line so I couldn't move and then stuck an 1 3/4 line down my bunkers...

Like my previous poster said...Keep your ears open..There is so much to be learned around a firehouse from your more senior members who have been at it for a while....Try and get on whatever classes or courses you can and take it all in...Practise Practise and Practise some more....And you'll be fine

Oh and Welcome on board..
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

don't go around like you know it all. in this business you can never stop learning .

keep your head in the game and stay safe
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Here you go, I posted on it under my old username.

Here

I would have to echo and sincerely agree that dont be all I know everything, because that is impossible in whole what there is to learn capacity, and the changing realm of the fire service.

Mainly, being an Explorer gives off to distinct tips: LEARN, BE RESPECTFUL, DO WHAT YOUR TOLD IF REASONABLE, AND BE POSITIVE.

Plus there is train, tain, take classes.. etc. someone will and already has pointed out the majors.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

As a fellow explorer i learned many things the hard way. One listen more than talk. Second get to know the people you are riding with, the more they know you and you know them, the better and more productive it is for everyone. Third remember it is their house so respect it and everyone inside of it. Finally if you have questions, wait till a good time and ask. Not many firefighters will ever give you trouble for asking.

Congrats on becoming a fire explorer. As for tips: 1. Listen!! There is so much to learn from the other firefighters that are around you. 2. Ask questions ~ If you see something and don't know what it does or how it works, ask. There will always be somebody who will be more than happy to help you out and answer your questions. 3.Be involved and show up for drills/activities on time, if not early! 4. Enjoy it and have fun! It is an amazing experience. Best of luck to you and stay safe.

Congratulations. Welcome to the wonderful world of fire fighting. Hope you enjoy your time. Heres my advice:

- BE THERE EARLY FOR TRAINING!!!!!
    - Dont Rush To Calls If You Bike, Be Careful
    - Listen Carefully To Your Advisors, They Know Their Stuff
    - Listen To Senior Explorers/Juniors/Cadets.
    - Ask Any Questions You Have
    - Be Friendly With Everyone, Dont Sit In The Corner Alone
    - Dont Fool Around Or Mess Around
    - Always Make Sure Your Prepared, Gear Buttoned, And All Even When Training.

Good Luck!

Mike
    Mike
    Levittown, NY
    Cadet Corps Member
    1st Lieutenant

Smile Also, this is a learning experience!

I have been a fire explorer for four years now. Take some advice.
    Being in explorer is a step in the right direction if you are planning to pursue a career in the fire service, or EMS. Like someone said before, take classes if they are offered to you. There is no such thing as too much training. Also, if it is at all possible, get a hold of other departments that have explorer posts and see if it is possible to do a ride out there. that way you are accomplishing two things, seeing how different departments work, and getting your name around and a good reputation for when it comes to getting the badge. Don't just go to the Big deaprtments or little ones either, mix it up a bit, every department is different. Good Luck and contact me if you need anything.

Ashley Meyer

Thread Information