Thread: MVA response.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default MVA response.

When your fire department receives an mva call, do you just send an ambulance, or do you run fire/rescue at the same time. In my department, we are dispatched after a police officer or med unit is on scene to determine if rescue is needed. I think fire/rescue should be paged at the same time, for fire protection and being there ready if you need to extricate. What do you think?

Forum Member

we are dispatched to all MVA's unless there are no injuries, if the caller is not sure we go ........we have EMS and Fire altogether in one station and they are combined. For us standard response is
    Chief
    Medic Unit
    Rescue Engine
    Engine
    Safety Officer
    Medic Unit
    only thing left ....Aerial Platform...
    hope this helps ........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

just a BLS ambulance. fire dept is called only if there is 1) entrapment 2) fluids on the road or 3) smoke/fire coming from the vehicle.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

It all comes down to what the person on the phone says to the calltaker out here. If they say anyone is still within the car, then it is paged out as a "MVA, Possible persons trapped" call which gets a response of at least 1 Heavy Rescue, 1 Pumper, 1 MICA Ambulance.... If more rescue/fire/ambulance units are available and have adequate crewing, then they will more than likely respond too.

The same response will also get paged if the person on the phone can't confirm anyhthing (IE. The car is over a ditch, I can't see it.... or the car is on it's roof etc.) If they say that the car(s) are well off the road and nobody is hurt, then just a police unit will be dispatched to take statements and organise towing. Possibly a non-emergency ambulance will go too, although all depends on the dispatcher.

Of course if there are any oils, fuels etc. on the road then we'll get called to mop it up.

Default MVA

Our department has fire and ems combined at out station.
    We respond our ems unit first to a mva. If there is enough man power we will roll the pumper. The engine will go to 95% of the accidents.

stay safe
    HVFD2865

MembersZone Subscriber

We are paged for an MVA at the dispatcher's discertion. If I happen to be listening to the scanner and hear EMS tones then hear signal 4 somewhere in my territory, I will go ahead and roll routine to the scene. If I get paged while heading there, I can step up my response to the scene or the station to get a truck.

We first take Rescue 1, then Engine 6.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber

we get sent no matter what...even if there are no injuries because the police around here are so frickin lazy they cant do their jobs of Traffic Control anymore!!!

But, on the other side if there is a MVA our dept. gets called along with at least one ambulance from th city and we usually send our rescue and one eng.

Forum Member

We get paged as soon as the ambulance has been paged...We respond to every MVA with a Pumper and our Utility/Rescue...And depending on the severity we may bring our personel carrier..
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

EMS goes to every accident and they also run extrication. FD does not respond unless there is fluid hazard or extrication as standby. I hope to God we never get dispatched to every single MVA - that would triple our call volumne for nothing.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

For MVAs that are called in "with injuries" or "unknown injuries" it's a pretty similiar policy here in our department .... one pumper from the closest station, our heavy rescue and one parrish Medic (they will dispatch 2 if callers seem to indicate multiple injuries). We will also generally put the medical helicopter run by the hospital on standby if it on the ointerstate or sounds severe.
    MVA's on the interstate we will run 2 pumpers... one from each direction simply becuase locations on the interstate are often incorrect. Second rescue (light) may run if multiple extracations are confirmed or are a possibility.

In Vermont it was similiar policy except the rescue was run by another fire department and standadrd EMS response was 2 ambulances to all calls. There the MVA policy was set up by the district EMS boards, not the local fire departments.

Forum Member

We roll on MVA's with at least our mini pumper and als squad. The pumper will get disregarded at only the discretion of the highest rank officer on scene, or if a p.o calls it in and advises ems only.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

We respond to every MVA on first dispatch, we get returned to service if a officer or p.o. reports property damage, EMS only; or something along those lines.

As far a apparatus on the road for MVA's, we prefer at least one ambulance unless multiple victims, our rescue, at least one engine, and most of the time our mini pumper.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Fire and EMS are one and the same here. In our department, both an engine and an RA are dispatched. Our utility, which carries a Hurst tool, is not dispatched but automatically responds to all calls, including MVAs. First unit on-scene will size-up and determine if additional resources (second engine, second RA, truck, etc.) are needed. If we need more than two RAs (rare, but happens), we'll call for AMR.

Most other departments in the area are also dispatched with an engine and RA, and can call for a truck if extrication is needed. All FFs in the area are at least EMT-1s (Basic), so even if the engine's not needed for anything else, they can assist with EMS.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

In my Volunteer Department {N.J.} We are dispatched along with the EMS - We roll the Utility/Light Rescue 1st. and the 1st out engine - Unless it is an MVC w/entrapment than the Engine-Rescue is 1st. Due.

The Company I'm a Career Firefighter with {Delaware . Also a Volunteer Co. w/Fulltime Staff} - The County {New Castle} will dispatch the Fire Company which all but maybe 1 or 2 have EMS Units so it is the BLS Unit 1st. and the Rescue 2nd. - That usually takes care of it unless entrapment than my station will roll an additional engine for manpower and/or establishing an LZ for the Med-Evac Unit

MembersZone Subscriber

My department also runs both fire & EMS. For incidents in our first due, We send an engine first and ambulance second for all MVAs. The engine's job is to block traffic and provide a safe work zone around the incident.

If the caller(s) report a person trapped, our heavy rescue squad goes second instead of the ambulance because the County will be sending a medic unit.

We have an automatic aid agreement with a neighboring department for MVAs Mon-Fri 0730-1630. They send their Rescue-Engine to our calls, we send our squad and ambulance to theirs.

Check out Ron Moore's columns regarding "Safe Parking" in the past few months' Firehouse magazines. If nothing else, it makes sense to have a larger apparatus at all MVAs, simply to block lanes and make a safer work environment.

There's too many of us (fire, EMS and police) getting injured and killed in struck-by accidents.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

For MVAs with injuries or 'unknow injuries' or entrapment the combination department that I work and volunteer for sends a pumper and the Rescue/service truck. We respond and provide up to First Responder medical care until Acadian Ambulance arrives to provide ALS care and transport. The pumper is for safety ie- blocking the work lane, lighting, etc. During extracations we have a charged handline ready to go in case of fire during the rescue. The Rescue truck has GPS for telling Acadian Airmed helicopters where to find us. We have Acadian radios installed so that we can speak directly to the responding ambulance or helicopter. The Rescue also carries our Hurst tools, cribbing and other equiptment we may need in addition to medical equiptment.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

Forum Member

We run our First Responder/Rescue unit, after that we roll our Engine. F-R/R has ALL of our medical equipment on it, and then the Engine for obvious reasons...

Forum Member

For MVC's my FD runs a suburban with medical gear (we run 1st response for all med calls) and 1 or 2 engines. We get called to all MVC's PI or not. We usually..unless the incident requires alot of extrication..have the patient already packaged and asessed for the ambulance squad.
    Last edited by LeuitEFDems; 05-29-2004 at 03:28 AM.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

MembersZone Subscriber

The ambulance is a whole separate company here. We do not run medical calls. Rescue is a branch of the FD. If the ambulance requests extrication then Rescue goes with their equipment and Fire runs automatically with their mini-pumper. We have people that are Rescue only, Fire only and most do both. We are housed in separate stations and everyone is trying to get just one big station built to organize things better.

Forum Member

Fire and EMS are by different providers in my part of the world but this is basically how it works.

We(fire) are punched out with each MVA incident. Typically we respond one Engine and the Rescue.

Even though fire and EMS are by different providers we have the common goal of providing, quick, safe, state of the art service to someone in need. We will assist with simple, no tools needed extrication and provide scene safety with fire police and apparatus placement. Sometimes not needing the heavy tolls can be just as rewarding as with a successful, butt-kickin' disentanglement and extrication.

That's just the way I feel.
    Last edited by Captn46; 06-28-2004 at 01:03 AM.
    Be Smart, Be Strong, Be Safe
    Make Sure Everyone Gets Home

Phil

Remember 9/11/2001
    FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber

We run fire and ems. Usually there is a chief on scene first. First unit to go is the ambulance. Then, if needed, rescue, pumper and/or fire police.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

We go on all accidents, except ones w/ no injuries(if there are hazards, however, we get called). Our standard response is:

1 Engine
    1 Rescue
    1 Chief/Command Officer
    1 Squad(If circumstances demand)

The closest station brings their rescue w/ the Hurst tool, and the one farther away brings their engine. All of our engines and the chief's vehicle are designated ground support units for STAT Medevac, equipped w/ the necessary low band radios, GPS units, and strobes for the landing zone. We're the only department in the county on VHF radios, which our EMS provider uses as well, so we talk to them directly on that.

Now, due to the fact that we have duplicate everything(two engines, two rescues, etc), we can theoretically run two extrications simultaneously operating on two of our separate fire ground frequencies just gettin it on to our hearts content, but with manpower issues that may not happen often w/o at least a manpower unit worth of mutual aid.
    "What a WACKER!"

"When in doubt, pull the 2 1/2."

"Here junior, reach out the window and put that redlight on the roof...That's right, hawaii Five-O style! Get it on!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Post RESCUE RESPONSES TO MVA'S

WHEN MY DISTRICT RECEIVES A REPORTED ACCIDENT OUR STANDARD VEHICLE RESPONSE IS:

*FIRE CHIEF AND/OR DEPUTY CHIEF

*SHIFT COMMANDER (IF NOT ON THE ENGINE COMPANY)

*1ST OUT AMBULANCE

*RESCUE ENGINE

*2ND OUT AMBULANCE

OTHER VEHICLES MAY RESPOND AT THE REQUEST OF INCIDENT COMMANDER.

Forum Member

For my fire district the FD and EMS service are technically seperate but share the same building and dispatch tones.

Our unwritten protocol calls for the Ambulance to be dispatched along with the FD. Here's a breakdown of apparatus:

1st due pumper (with hydralic rescue tools)
    Mini-Pumper (with hand rescue tools and cribbing)
    Grass Truck (for extra personell response)
    5-A-14 (ILS ambulance)

Our Dept. has 35 FFs of which 15 are CFRs. Also in order to increase the number of responses the FD has been running with the ambulance on EMS calls

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Forum Member

First thing we roll is our front line engine...which contains some BLS equipment and some extrication equipment to get started on anything we may find. Upon taking command of the scene we then will call one, if not two, squads from the neighboring city (we don't have any EMS in our station). If need be we roll our second engine for manpower.

Thread Information