Thread: Rescue Me

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rescue Me--An FX Original Series

Has anyone seen the commercials on FX for the new original series 'Rescue Me'? It's supposed to start this summer.

***Key the David Bowie and Queen song***

It seems that it is about a New York City fireman played by Dennis Leary, who seems to be either sepparated or divorced from his wife. According to the main character: 'You won't find any medals on my chest; 'cause I'm not a hero, I'm a fireman."

Did you see Dennis trying to fight the drug addict who was swinging a bat at him? What firefighter in their right mind would try to do that?

The series looks like it might have some good stuff, but will propably have the usual innacurate cheeseball crap that makes us firefighters cringe.

"They're not heroes. Just ordinary people who risk it all."
    Last edited by Firefighter1219; 05-25-2004 at 12:17 PM.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

Considering Dennis Leary, the exectuvie producer and star of the show, is VERY close to the fire service, I expect this to be fairly decent. Don't forget, it is a TV Drama, not a reality show. The baseball bat thing, it's NYC.......stuff like that does happen.

You can view the trailer here:
    http://www.fxnetwork.com/shows/origi...ueme/main.html
    Last edited by WestTac1; 05-25-2004 at 01:35 PM.

HAHA@bribing the kids for info on moms new bf

MembersZone Subscriber

The baseball bat thing, it's NYC.......stuff like that does happen.
    Would a typical New York City fireman try to negotiate with a bat wielding crackhead threating his life? I hope not. Leave the area and let PD clear him out. At least that's what I was taught.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

Forum Member

ill try to catch it,hey it has to be better then nothing which beyond third watch is all we got.
    Bucks County, PA.

Forum Member

Rescue Me - a story about an alcoholic dealing with his ex-wife. Oh yeah, he's a FF too. Another great role model to use as an example for FF's.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Originally posted by Firefighter1219

Would a typical New York City fireman try to negotiate with a bat wielding crackhead threating his life? I hope not. Leave the area and let PD clear him out. At least that's what I was taught.
    [/
    Really? I didnt know that, lol! Of course thats what you TRY to do!

Yes, because we all know that lessons taught in the classroom can be applied without change or modification 100% of the time in the street. Sometimes, you may have to adapt what you were taught to fit the situation you are in.

Sometimes, and I say this from personal experience working NYC*EMS......yea, if this happens you try to leave the scene and hightail it out of there..thats the best option..but what if you are cornered? You try not to get yourself corenered or trapped, but sometimes it does happen. The trailer doesnt show the whole situation, and I'm not going to sit here and armchair quarterback it since it is a FICTIONAL TV drama, but there have been situations where FDNY and FDNY*EMS personel have been confronted and assualted with no route of escape and they have had no other option but to deal with it the best they can. It's New York City.

And please dont forget, THIS IS A FICTIONAL TV DRAMA!!!!
    Last edited by WestTac1; 05-25-2004 at 06:30 PM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    Rescue Me - a story about an alcoholic dealing with his ex-wife. Oh yeah, he's a FF too. Another great role model to use as an example for FF's.
    Just another example to prove that firefighters are human!

FYI, Dennis Leary's cousin Jerry Lucey was one of the Worcester Six, and he grew up with another W6 member, Tom Spencer.

You may not agree with Dennis Leary's portrayal, but he is one celebrity that has put his money where his mouth is and has been an ardent supporter of the Fire Service!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Hey, is the actor steve buschemi still with the FDNY, I knew that he was a FF in the past but heard from someone that he went back. Anyone know?

I wish that every fire/ems show/movie was directed by people who know what they are talking about and people who are devoted to the fire service.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Default Steve Buscemi

I'd read that Steve Buscemi did go back to NYC after September 11, to work at his old station. For how long, and whether he worked right at Ground Zero, I don't know. Anyone from FDNY able to confirm or deny this story??

Pat
    Communications Diva of the IACOJ, and proud member of the WOT!

Bagpipes: They put the fun back in funerals!!

Forum Member

Gonzo, bad wording on my part. I know of Dennis Leary and his history with the fire service. I did not mean to imply he, himself, was the bad role model, I meant to imply the FF he portrays. With the amount of bad press lately about FF's leaving their wives for other women and drinking in the fire service overall, can't they leave that part out? You never know, maybe in the show they will address it and work it out as a positive thing?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Buscemi was part of some protests at one of the stations being closed by New York, not too long ago. Haven't read anything about him working at a station after 9/11, though.

Forum Member

Did a little digging....
    http://www.indieking.com/E55.html
    Here's a photo of Buscemi atop an engine after the 9/11 incident...

Forum Member

Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

My cousin visted E55 while on a phone job one day about a month before 9/11 and was able to get me a t-shirt from them. He told me they were all a hell of a crew. It's nice to know that Steve didn't forget his roots and went back to honestly help out. I had heard about this before, but it's great to hear it again. Hopefully Denis Leary will recruit him to work on Rescue Me. Steve has always been one of my favorite actors, and his unselflesness like this is one of the reasons why. I hope Dennis will make the show as realistic as he can without getting too "Hollywood" on it. Denis and Steve, I think, are 2 great advocates for the FD brotherhood. They're some of the last remaining "regular ol' Joe's" in hollywood and neither of them forgot where they came from.
    Last edited by LeuitEFDems; 05-26-2004 at 11:53 AM.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

Hopefully Denis Leary will recruit him to work on Rescue Me.
    Man, that would be great...he's one of the best character actors I've ever seen. He would bring a welcome relief from the pretty-boy BS on "Turd Watch."

MembersZone Subscriber

I think Steve Buscemi would be a great asset to the show. Since he has been a firefighter in the past and continues to work with the FDNY, I believe that he would be able to make the show more realistic.

Anyone remember his role in ConAir? Great acting in that movie. "I rode through 6 states wearing one girls head as a hat." "He's got the whole world in His hands..." "Define irony. A bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band who died in a plane crash."

I hope Dennis will make the show as realistic as he can without getting too "Hollywood" on it.
    I certainly hope it isn't like a "Hollywood" production. All they do is take all the stereotypes and bad parts of firefighting and exploit them.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

Forum Member

Even though they had to hype it up some to make it interesting to viewers I hope they still manage to 'keep it real'. I am looking forward to seeing how it works out.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

MembersZone Subscriber

Obvious to me is that Denis Leary covered all of his bases. He pretty much has all of the control. And with his knowledge of the fire service and his relationships from within the fire service, I am sure that he will make it fun, exciting and most of all, realistic. I think he looks at this project as more of a tribute than a TV series. I think the entertainment value will be a by-product.
    And Leary is a high profile entertainer who put his money where his mouth is after 9/11.
    The series might only last a season, but it will be done Leary's way and it will be true to the profession.
    I haven't watched Third Watch since it became so melo-dramatic. It seems that the principle players are all vying for more camera time.
    And I still go back and watch "Backdraft". Some of it is pretty cheesy, but I can remember that we were all buzzing about it when it first came out. Many of my friends went to Chicago to march in the funeral procession scene.
    And though it may not be accurate, I am glad that someone took the time to do a movie about the greatest job in the world.
    I will faithfully tune in to "Rescue Me" every week and will flitter with excited anticipation until "Ladder 49" comes out this fall.
    I feel like a kid again because our profession is getting noticed once again.
    And that's a good thing.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

And with his knowledge of the fire service and his relationships from within the fire service, I am sure that he will make it fun, exciting and most of all, realistic.
    Let me tell you, when I watched the promo where Leary's character is explaining to someone how his divorce was caused by his supposed "emotional detachment", I got a good feeling this series will be dead-on in a lot of aspects.

Forum Member

Originally posted by ChiefReason
    Obvious to me is that Denis Leary covered all of his bases. He pretty much has all of the control. And with his knowledge of the fire service and his relationships from within the fire service, I am sure that he will make it fun, exciting and most of all, realistic. I think he looks at this project as more of a tribute than a TV series. I think the entertainment value will be a by-product.
    And Leary is a high profile entertainer who put his money where his mouth is after 9/11.
    The series might only last a season, but it will be done Leary's way and it will be true to the profession.
    I haven't watched Third Watch since it became so melo-dramatic. It seems that the principle players are all vying for more camera time.
    And I still go back and watch "Backdraft". Some of it is pretty cheesy, but I can remember that we were all buzzing about it when it first came out. Many of my friends went to Chicago to march in the funeral procession scene.
    And though it may not be accurate, I am glad that someone took the time to do a movie about the greatest job in the world.
    I will faithfully tune in to "Rescue Me" every week and will flitter with excited anticipation until "Ladder 49" comes out this fall.
    I feel like a kid again because our profession is getting noticed once again.
    And that's a good thing.
    CR
    Very Well said, CR.........

Forum Member

I wonder how much we would have to beg to get Dennis and Steve to do a movie. I wish that the show rescue me would be more than a season, or that they would make a movie based on it. I also wish that the public would show more interest in the non-hollywood fire fighting movies / tv shows. Someone needs to bring back the tv show The Bravest, it was all real. Well I just had a vision, was the show canceled due to all the confidentiality and HIPPA stuff? The same things that killed COPS.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Default more info on dennis leary

Visit his foundation site.
    LEARY FIREFIGHTERS FOUNDATION
    I myself am going to donate something to the cause, and try to volunteer at a few events in the near future.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Forum Member

The same things that killed COPS.
    I am pretty sure that COPS is still on. I watched it this week right before Americas Most Wanted.
    The Bravest was pretty cool, especially the chest cams. Would be nice to see it come back. Maybe get some film crews to follow the guys out west chasing brush and wildland interface calls.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

MembersZone Subscriber

I would have to agree with cell that COPS is still kicking strong. It comes on every Saturday night on FOX at 8pm (2 episodes). It comes on every weekday on FX at 2pm (usually 2 episodes). Also comes on Court TV weekdays at 7pm (2 episodes).

Now does it really seem like COPS has been killed to you?
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

Thread Information