Thread: Give me a break

IACOJ Agitator

Default Give me a break

More controversy for Moore film

Michael Moore’s controversial documentary may get Disney boycotted after all.

Conservatives threatened to boycott the Mouse House last year when it was revealed that the movie company’s subsidiary Miramax was funding the Bush-bashing film, “Fahrenheit 9/11.” Now that Disney is refusing to let Miramax distribute the Palm D’or winning flick, liberals are organizing a boycott against it.

“You are censoring one of the most important filmmakers in America,” reads a petition being circulated by Democrats.com and signed by more than 20,000 people. “This is unacceptable in a democracy. As consumers, we are not powerless. We will protest with our wallets — by boycotting Disney products until you agree to distribute Fahrenheit 9/11.” They’re saying they won’t buy anything produced by Disney, including its films, theme parks, toys, and TV networks.

“It’s a free country,” Disney spokeswoman Zenia Mucha tells The Scoop. “We have a right to decline distribution. They have a right to do whatever they think is in their interest.”

-------------------

Every year, my dislike for liberals gets bigger and bigger...
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

I say release the film and let people make their own damn decisions. This is ridiculous. You don't like the guy, don't go see the movie. Plain and simple. You like the guy, go see the movie. Plain and simple. You don't know who he is? You want to know more? Go see the movie. Plain and simple. Don't give two damns about it? Don't go see the movie. Plain and simple. I, for one, don't need anyone to shelter me from a movie, regardless of what it's about. If they don't want to release it, fine; but be honest as to why. I've seen some of Moore's work, and I think he does a great job of turning the screws on corporate America.
    Every year, my dislike for liberals gets bigger and bigger...
    For what? Standing up for what they believe? It's a perfectly acceptable form of protest, used by all sides of politics on a regular basis. What are people afraid of? Release the film and let Americans decide for themselves what to think.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ever seen 'Bowling for Columbine'? It was complete trash. He got K-Mart to stop selling handgun bullets because that's where the killers purchased their ammo. How stupid is that? K-Mart isn't responsible for what those kids did.

I believe that Moore is going to turn the film into a circus. The film will probably degrade the memory of that terrible day just so Moore can tear down the president. And of course it's all George Bush's fault and Clinton had nothing to do with it.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

let people make their own damn decisions.
    Disney did make their own damn decision. They decided not to release the film. That's their right. Just like you and me, they have rights too. They used their right to decide not to release the film. Why are 20,000 people trying to take away their rights? The majority's or minority's rights aren't more important than the others. Yes, the protest is totally acceptable and often used...why are they using it to try and take away Disney's rights?
    “It’s a free country,” Disney spokeswoman Zenia Mucha tells The Scoop. “We have a right to decline distribution. They have a right to do whatever they think is in their interest.”
    Bingo!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

IACOJ Agitator

Why is he one of the most important filmmakers in America? Because he shows it like it is? We all know this is already proven to be false...
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

the 4-1-4

Originally posted by Adze39
    Why is he one of the most important filmmakers in America? Because he shows it like it is? We all know this is already proven to be false...
    The only argument that could be made for him to even be considered a filmmaker is that he is proof that freedom of speach exists. Should his film be distributed? If Disney feels like picking up the tab then sure. If they don't, then too bad. Freedom of speach only protects your speach from sanctions by the government, not from other private citizens. (ask the dixie chics) If so called liberals wish to boycott Disney in order to force them to distribute the film that is certainly their right. If they feel that strongly about their cause I would encourage them to do so. As far as Mr. Moore telling it like it is, I think that most logical people recognize him as a bit on the extreme. To call him a liberal is a bit conservative. Remember that even if his film picks up a distributor, anybody can choose not to purchase it and we can always choose to not talk about him or his works. That is our right. That is also not against any person's "freedom of speach rights". Freedom of speach applies to all aspect's of political ideology.

Thread Information