Thread: Interview

Default Interview

I am volunteering as a firefighter and I am in the process of filling out the application. The next step is to do an interview, if they like what they see on the application of coerce. My question is, should I wear a suite to the interview?

Forum Member

Default Attire

What Do I Wear To a Job Interview?

BOB SMITH
    Firehouse.Com Contributor

The strongest non-verbal statement you can make in the oral board is what you wear. It is time to step up and make the investment. Yes, wear the suit. Dress for success!

I had a candidate tell me he went to an interview wearing a tie, suspenders and no jacket. I asked him, "Who did you think you were Larry King?" I asked him if they called him back for a Chief's interview? No. The defense rests.

Want to Read the Full Article? You can find more on what to wear and other testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

“Nothing counts ‘til you have the badge . . . Nothing!”

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

But does it make a difference that it is volunteer?

Forum Member

Default ???????

NO! Be professional. Dress for success.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

you actually had to interview to volunteer?? WOW, I had it easy. My next door neighbor is a leutenant (sp?) and he asked me one day if I still wanted on. I had applied when I first moved to town but they wanted to make sure Id stick around. I said yes and he told me to expect a call from the cheif in the next few days. cheif called and I went to talk with him figuring hed have all kinds of questions. we shook hands, he went over the rules and started issuing me gear

Actually I spoke with the Chief last night, he called me at 9pm, and he said they would be voting on me in their next business meeting. A few days before the meeting he wants to do an interview with me, but put emphases on the fact that it will be a very informal interview. I think I can just were regular close and I don’t need to stress out about it. Not that I would walk in looking like a slob, but I will probably just wear what I wear to work which is usually a polo shirt and slacks. Thanks for everyone’s input.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is important to always dress professionally whenever you are in the fire station. When you do the firefighters take notice and believe you are a serious candidate. When you don't they don't take you seriously. It's the recommendation from the firefighters in the station that will get you hired (or vice versa).

Make a good impression!

Forum Member

Default Get Serious

A few days before the meeting he wants to do an interview with me, but put emphases on the fact that it will be a very informal interview. I think I can just were regular close and I don’t need to stress out about it.

"Informal" Interview Attire

Although it can be called an "informal" interview, it's usually the chief's oral. It's called "informal" to get to know you better. But understand it's still for all the marbles. If you don't come across as the most enthusiastic candidate with the qualifications that meet this departments culture and objectives, you're out of the process.

The strongest non-verbal statement you can make is what you wear to any interview, especially the "Informal" (chief’s) interview. If your usual suit doesn't quite fit like it used to, it probably looks old and dated too. This alone can psych you out before you can say anything in the interview. It’s time to step up and make the investment if you really want this job.

When my Son Rob was going for his interviews, he had a new suit, shoes, tie, belt socks and, yes, new underwear. He said it made him feel like the candidate he wanted to be.

Are simply slacks and a collared shirt OK? NO! Be professional and look professional.

It doesn’t have to be expensive. Go to the Mens Warehouse or a department store that has a sale. Ask for the personal shopper at many fine stores (this service is free). They will get you fixed up in your price range. It will make a big difference.

How about those interviews where you have been informed to wear casual attire?

Reply: Here again candidates have shown up and it looks like the high school prom. Consider wearing casual attire with a sports coat. If it is indeed casual, remove the sports coat.

Captian Bob

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information