Forum Member

Exclamation Hurst Rams - Unusual Problem!!

We have used the Hurst product line since 1973 and are extremely pleased with it. However!!! At a recent automobile accident with entrapment we encountered a problem. Now I know that this is old stuff, but we connect three tools in a circuit using a manifold.
    "SCRAM" Spreaders, Cutters, Ram. The system has been set up like this for many years with good results and this scene was no different.
    As soon as we started to use the cutters to remove the roof we found that the tool would not operate. As time goes on, the tool would operate some times then stop. Finally after checking for an air bound system 3 times it was discovered that the short ram, which was in line, was the culprit. Here is what we found:
    There is a pin on the operating handle that rests between a large spring when it is in the neutral position. As the handle is turned, the spring causes the tension to return it to neutral when released. Well, the spring actually got by the end of the pin causing the operating handle on the ram to spin freely therefore causing an open hydraulic circuit and the system would not work. We have had these rams for over 20 years and have never had a problem. We have not heard of this happening.
    To fix the problem, I disassembled the handle, pressed out the pin and installed a longer pin of the same diameter.
    Has anyone ever had this happen? Is there any other little glitches that we should know about? If so, I would appreciate the heads up.
    Please be aware that this could happen to you if you have the Hurst rams. You may want to put the longer pin in before the problem develops.

Forum Member

We were always taught to have the ram setup as the last tool in line. Only problem we ever experienced with our ram was one time we could not retract it, it would only extend regardless of which way the handle was operated. At the same time, we noticed our other tools were working in reverse. We found that someone (with good intentions) had unthreaded the hoses from the power unit. When replacing them, they put the hoses on in reverse order. Found through Hurst that the tools will infact work opposite, except for the ram. It will only extend. Have never had the pin go past the springs.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

not trying to be a smart ***.................maybe it just need some PM ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

The same thing happened to our old Hurst 32A spreader. It was caused by poor maintenance. The screw that held the operating thumbswitch had backed out allowing the switch (and the spring post attached to it) to slide out a little ways causing the spring to pop off the end of the post. It had been removed for maintenance and not LocTited when reinstalled. An application of LocTite (removable kind) to the screw and tightening solved the problem.

Tim
    www.rescue42.com

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Further info: On one Ram the screw that held the switch mechanism was indeed loose. (by about 1/2 a turn) On our 2nd Ram it was tight. Even after tightening the loose one and checking the other, the spring could actually be moved past the pin with your fingers. It did not do so easily, but it did it. With the longer pins installed it cannot be done now. Maybe over time, the springs themselves become sloppy. Can't say.
    We do have very good PM on our tools but taking them apart and reassembling is not preventative, it's repairative.
    Thanks for your replies and good luck with your tools!

Thread Information