Forum Member

Default Terrorists Planning Major Summer Attack

Report: Terrorists Planning Major Summer Attack

CURT ANDERSON
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- U.S. officials have obtained new intelligence deemed highly credible indicating al-Qaida or other terrorists are in the United States and preparing to launch a major attack this summer, The Associated Press has learned.

The intelligence does not include a time, place or method of attack but is among the most disturbing received by the government since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, according to a senior federal counterterrorism official who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity Tuesday.

Of most concern, the official said, is that terrorists may possess and use a chemical, biological or radiological weapon that could cause much more damage and casualties than a conventional bomb.

``There is clearly a steady drumbeat of information that they are going to attack and hit us hard,'' said the official, who described the intelligence as highly credible.

The official declined to provide any specifics about the sources of the information but said there was an unusually high level of corroboration.

Despite that, the official said there was no immediate plan to raise the nation's terrorism threat level from yellow, or elevated, to orange, or high. The threat level has been at yellow -- midpoint on the five-color scale -- since January.

Attorney General John Ashcroft and FBI Director Robert Mueller plan a news conference Wednesday to outline an intensive effort by law enforcement, intelligence and homeland security officials to detect and disrupt any potential plots. And the FBI plans to dispatch a bulletin to some 18,000 state and local law enforcement agencies warning of the threat.

The FBI also has already created a special task force that is focused solely on dealing with this summer's threat. The task force, whose existence until recently was classified, is intended to ensure that no valuable bits of information or intelligence fall through the cracks -- as happened repeatedly before the Sept. 11 attacks.

Other actions to be taken include new FBI interviews with people who may have provided valuable information in the past and a fresh examination of older investigative leads to determine if they might point to elements of the summer plot.

Beginning with Saturday's dedication of the new World War II Memorial in Washington, the summer presents a number of high-profile targets in the United States. They include the G-8 summit in Georgia next month that will attract top officials from some of America's closest allies, the Democratic National Convention in Boston in July and the Republican National Convention in August in New York.

The FBI and Homeland Security Department also are concerned about so-called soft targets such as shopping malls anywhere in the United States that offer a far less protected environment than a political convention hall.

U.S. authorities repeatedly have said al-Qaida is determined to mount an attack on U.S. soil, in part to announce to the world that it remains capable of doing so despite the money and effort that has gone into homeland security in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks.

There also is concern terrorists might try to mount an attack to coincide with the November election. The political fallout from the March 11 train bombings in Spain taught al-Qaida that an attack timed to an election can have a major impact. Spain's former ruling party was ousted in the voting that followed the bombing, which killed 191 and injured more than 2,000.

The official did not say how many suspected al-Qaida or other terrorist operatives are believed in the country, whether they made their way into the United States recently or have been here for some time. The FBI has warned in the past that Islamic extremist groups may attempt to recruit non-Middle Easterners or women for attacks because they would be less likely to arouse suspicion.

Special security attention already is being focused to the nation's rail, subway and bus lines. The FBI last week sent out an intelligence bulletin to law enforcement agencies urging vigilance against suicide bombers, who have been used by terror groups worldwide to devastating effect but not so far in the United States.

Separately, Immigration and Customs Enforcement chief Michael Garcia told reporters Tuesday that some 2,300 of its agents are being deployed to assist in security for the high-profile events scheduled this summer in the United States. These include as many as 20 agents each day working with the Secret Service to protect the campaigns of President Bush and Sen. John Kerry, the Democratic presidential candidate.

Garcia said his agency also is working to ``tighten the investigative system'' to ensure that terrorists do not enter the United States by way of human smuggling operations or through the vast, largely unprotected border with Canada.

Story Courtesy www.firehouse.com

The vagueness of this is torture, soft targets, hard targets, chemical, bioligical, regular bombs, more airplanes...

Do we step up our training to prepare for terrorist atttacks or do we continue on if we have been training adequetly?

So many questions to answer, so many to be asked.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

its all just part of the right wing conspiracy.

Forum Member

What a first post sawman.

JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by sawman
    Based on this, your first post here, I can see you are going to be a real long lasting, contributing member...
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

the 4-1-4

Sawman, do you wish to add any logic or foundations to your position? Or is this just a baseless blanket statement.

MembersZone Subscriber

May none of you ever have to endure it!

Peace!

Forum Member

Originally posted by sawman
    Did I hear a pot of excrement being stirred?

Why yes I did... and the stench from said pot doth reek!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Lets just remember people, lets try to take this serious and be ready, conspiracy or not. Wheather you believe your area will ever be affected or not, plan, train, equip, and be ready. You may just get called for mutual aid. WMD training and such can be directly applied to many other aspects of emergency service. Major Haz Mat incidents, major wildfires, even large community events, all can benefit from WMT/Terrorism training/planning. Also, while AL Queda may not be interested in your particular part of the world there is always our home grown nut jobs. See sawmans first post.

We in MT have "enjoyed" in recent memory the:

-Uni Bomber
    -Freemen
    -Numerous cults

We also enjoy the Canadian border, big big border. I cant stress this enough, the border states emergency services MUST TAKE THE THREAT OF TERRORISM SERIOUSLY!!! That is where they will be sneaking through. What are you going to do when some Al Quada SOB tips over his mini van filled with vile crud in your back yard?

IIRC it was in 2000 that a MT HW Patrolman stoped a suspicious car. In the car was dozens of AKs, explosives, all kinds of nasty stuff. The driver was illegaly in the US via the Canadian border, and guess what...Al Quada linked.

Its not just the metro areas that are at risk, even us rednecks hiding in the hills would feel the residual ripple effect of a bio or radiological WMD attack. All of our kids off in college, all of the people that moved to the city, people who saw a movie about somebody hiding from the world in Montana.... they would come streaming into the country with what ever creeping crud they may have contracted.

We will have to turn all of the road signs around so they end up in North Dakota, Wyoming, and Idaho!

Remember those famous last words... "It will never happen here."
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

I saw on the news last night, in Pleasantville NJ PD stopped a vehicle w/ 5x 5 gal jugs of gas, 2 hand gernades and a few other items. Not sure of any other info yet, been too busy to find out. Is it terrorist related as the media likes to portray, probably not. However I'm guessing this guy had some type of intention of keepping us employed, wether it be sooner or later. Like said above, it might not be aimed at your town but it certainly could be headed thru your town. I'm very lucky because, it could never happen to me.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is absolutly right. We all have to do our part to combat terrorism. I would sooner stop a terrorist as he is passing through/hiding out in our small towns then let them get into the big metro areas.

Sounds like a strange thing to say, but I would sooner have a dirty bomb truck go off while the guy is bouncing down the interstate here in MT, nothing around to get hurt in most cases. But, if that truck bomber gets into a metro area, we all know what may happen.

I dont believe we will suffer, at least not in our lifetime, another attack like 911. I have confidence that our agents entrusted to prevent such acts of terror realy are kicking some but right now.

But, there are still so many other threats, it is going to happen, somewhere, someday.

I may sound paranoid, but I am not HALF as paranoid as some of my counter parts at the state and federal levels.

If you rural firefighters are still not convinced this is something that you will ever face, consider this.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...eda-fire_x.htm

FBI: al-Qaeda detainee spoke of fire plot
    PHOENIX (AP) The FBI alerted law enforcement agencies last month that an al-Qaeda terrorist now in detention had talked of masterminding a plot to set a series of devastating forest fires around the western United States.
    Rose Davis, a spokeswoman for the National Interagency Fire Center in Boise, told The Associated Press that officials there took note of the warning but didn't see a need to act further on it.

The contents of the June 25 memo from the FBI's Denver office were reported Friday by The Arizona Republic. Davis declined to share a copy of the memo and an FBI spokeswoman in Denver didn't immediately return a telephone call.

The Republic reported that the detainee, who was not identified, said the plan involved three or four people setting wildfires using timed devices in Colorado, Montana, Utah and Wyoming that would detonate in forests and grasslands after the operatives had left the country.

The memo noted that investigators couldn't determine whether the detainee was telling the truth.

The newspaper said many forest law enforcement officers it contacted had no idea the warning had been issued.

Right wind conspiracy, Slurry Bombers grounded, terrorists with drip torches...

OMG, Its starting to sound like the USFS!!!

Relax, its a rib.

Actualy the USFS has delt with this sort of attack before, even though it was pretty weak.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/wwii/jbb.htm

Japanese Balloon Bombs
    One of the best kept secrets of the war involved the Japanese balloon bomb offensive, prompted by the Doolittle raid on Tokyo on April 18, 1942 as a means of direct reprisal against the U.S. mainland. Some 9,000 balloons made of paper or rubberized silk and carrying anti-personnel and incendiary bombs were launched from Japan during a five-month period, to be carried by high altitude winds more than 6,000 miles eastward across the Pacific to North America. Perhaps a thousand of these reached this continent, but there were only about 285 reported incidents. Most were reported in the northwest U.S., but some balloons traveled as far east as Michigan.

The first operational launches took place on Nov. 3, 1944 and two days later a U.S. Navy patrol boat spotted a balloon floating on the water 66 miles southwest of San Pedro, California. As more sightings occurred, the government, with the cooperation of the news media, adopted a policy of silence to reduce the chance of panic among U.S. residents and to deny the Japanese any information on the success of the launches. Discouraged by the apparent failure of their effort, the Japanese halted their balloon attacks in April 1945.

On May 5, 1945, six picnickers were killed in Oregon when a balloon bomb they dragged from the woods exploded. The U.S. Government quickly publicized the balloon bombs, warning people not to tamper with them. These were the only known fatalities occurring within the U.S. during WWII as a direct result of enemy action.

Actual damage caused by the balloon bombs was minor. However, the incendiaries which they carried did pose a serious threat to the forests of the northwestern U.S. during the dry months. These balloons also offered a vehicle for germ warfare had the Japanese decided to use this weapon.

The balloon attack began after U.S. air defense facilities had been deactivated. To counter this threat, AAF and Navy fighters flew intercept missions to shoot down balloons when sighted and AAF aircraft and Army personnel were stationed at critical points to combat any forest fires which might occur. Also, supplies of decontamination chemicals and sprays to counter any possible use of germ warfare were quietly distributed in the western states. Before detailed AAF defensive plans had been put into effect, the attacks ceased.

Japanese bomb-carrying balloons were 32 feet in diameter and when fully inflated, held about 19,000 cubic feet of hydrogen. Launch sites were located on the east coast of the main Japanese island of Honshu.

Gun camera photos showing balloons being shot down by 11th Air Force fighters near Attu in the Aleutians on April 11, 1945. Nine balloons were downed in two hours. (Note P-38 in lower right frame).

These attacks were for the most part delt with by the Smoke Jumpers, the para troopers of the fire service. Tripple Nickle: The The 555th Parachute Infantry Battalion.

http://www.triplenickle.com/smjprs.html

Their smoke jumper history. They suffered the first smoke jumper LODD on a fire jump.

http://www.smokejumpers.com/history/...ple_nickle.php

"We learn from history that we learn nothing from history."
    - George Bernard Shaw.

God Bless America.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 05-28-2004 at 08:50 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

Still pounding the drum.

Seriously folks, keep an eye out for the terrorist scumbags in the links above. You just never know, they might be passing thorugh your area.

I cant talk about what has happened as of late in my area, but let me just say that a alert citizen made a contribution.

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
    - Attributed to General George Patton Jr

Forum Member

As George W said...
    BRING IT ON.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

Forum Member

Angry

I sure hope that there won't be anymore attacks, but you never know... It is better to be prepared for them, and find you're too prepared, then not prepared enough!
    Firefighters are beneficial to every community with the wealth of information they have!

They don't get enough praise, for the information and skills they know! It could save your life one day!!!!!

Forum Member

It's no longer a matter of "will there be any?"...there will... it's now a question of "when and where will it be?".

Thread Information