Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber SFDredhat126's Avatar

Default Weather in So. Illinois

How bad has the weather been in your district/city over the last few days? Any calls due to the weather?

We haven't had anything but rain and no calls due to the weather here.

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Nothing too bad here last night. Just a LOT of rain, another inch last night. Tonight might be different. It's really hot & humid now and that ain't good.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

we have had 3 weather related calls this week ....all were trees on fire.....one was actually a bugger to put out....tree was hollow ended up having to cut most of it down to put it out after CIPS took care of the power line other than that had 2 structure fires and a mutal aid structure fire....structures were non weather related...we are up to 115 calls for the year...been busy.....word has it the worst weather we have seen is comin sunday.......guess we will see

every one be safe
    Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I've finally gotten a chance to report on the weather over the weekend. This time it got us a little before 7 PM Sunday. DuBois, where I live, only had a few trees damaged, one house lost some siding, and about another 2" of rain, Ashley wasn't too bad, only one building blown apart, a few limbs & trees laying around, Richview had no damage, but Radom, about 4 miles North of me, took a hard hit. Lots of roof damage, the Catholic grade school lost a lot of its roof, the church lost some roof, a trememdous number of trees were twisted off at the top or uprooted and the biggest loss was to the grain elevator which lost 3 bins and an estimated $750,000 damage. NOBODY GOT HURT!!! We only took one to the hospital and that was an older lady who just got too excited, she'll be fine. The electrical sub station there was badly damaged and will be off line for a while yet. How Tri County Electric Coop got power back on Monday evening I'll never know. They worked their butts off. Illinois Power lost its main transmission line for a while and our electricity was off until about 2 AM Monday and then again from 3PM - 11 PM Monday.
    A tree did fall on a house in Radom and it's not yet known if the house will be salvaged. At the wastewater treatment in Radom, I sawed for 3 1/2 hours yesterday afternoon before I found the discharge structure. There was 8 trees down in about a 30 ft. path to the place I needed to get to fix a flow sensor. That's all I have is a path, a lot yet to clean up there.
    The FD spent about 3 hours directing traffic around downed wires, checking houses for injuries, etc. This is the first time I've had a chance to sit down and "play". It's been hectic for the last 2 days. I'll try to post some pictures tonight. Just don't have them off the camera yet.
    They haven't decided if it was a tornado or some other wind, but from the way the trees are twisted off 1/2 way up I'd argue for the tornado. Worst storm damage I've ever witnessed first hand.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber SFDredhat126's Avatar

I saw some video from Radom on the news. Looked pretty bad. Patoka had a tornado in their area too, but I haven't heard of any damage. I saw some video of one north of Carlyle and one near Breese. My wife also heard on the news that a woman living near Carlyle Lake saw one on the lake and sucking up water. I'm sure that looked interesting......

MembersZone Subscriber

The weather service has confirmed that it was an F1 tornado that went through our area Sunday. Sounds like they're looking at over a million $ damage and hundreds of trees downed or damaged. That doesn't count the damages to the power sub station or power lines. Sounds like everybody's power came back on by late yesterday afternoon. It lasted a long time, started out in Perry County, went NE across the SE portion of Wasington County and then into Jefferson County.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thread Information