Thread: Training

Forum Member

Thumbs down Training

Hello to all of you. As you can see, it's the "Chief's fault" that I'm loving every minute of being a fire fighter.

I also realize that this isn't a perfect world, and that sometimes we are unable to get the training that we want. So, besides IFSI's web site, can anyone tell me where else I can find training courses geared for those of us who don't make the big bucks?
    Last edited by Rainman4u2; 05-28-2004 at 06:16 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

First it is MABAS.
    Second don't air your dirty laundry, their are plenty of free classes being offered. You should be able to find a class to go to.
    I doubt that a MABAS department would not provide mutual aid. That is the whole point of MABAS. And even if they don't, it is your chief's problem not yours. If we had a guy as vocal as you he may not be sent to any more classes, so just relax. You have a long time till retirement.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Good answer, ADSN.

Forum Member

Your right.

First, I can't spell(MABAS), and you are also correct that putting dirty laundry out was dumb. I was angry when I wrote it, and maybe writing it was dumb, but it felt good to get it out.

My appologies.

Forum Member

Rainman, just a thought, you COULD edit your post and just have a question about how to or where to obtain the training you desire and take out the unflattering bits.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Thank you PFire.

You are correct, it looks a lot better, and doesn't sound so hateful.

Forum Member

Ok i'm a little late, whats going on? As presdent of MABAS 31 I would like to know. Jay pm or email me.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Now, Larry, how the heck am I 'sposed to PM you when you don't have PM turned on!?!?!?

Sheesh.

Forum Member

Sorry Jay, wrong site. Make it an email

MembersZone Subscriber

You got to love the youngsters who are full of vim and vigor. At my age, I get it from eating raw cauliflower.
    Apparently, I didn't see Rainman's post before it was editted. I have been busy getting my stuff ready for the other website.
    Hey; there's an idea, Rainman. Check out IACOJ.
    Did I mention that you can get some on-line stuff through FEMA and USFA now. You can take the "classroom" on-line, but you would have to set up practicals through a department. You would receive certificates, although I don't know that it is "certified" training, per se.
    And to wrap this up, please remember that we are in the volunteer environment. We get notices of training. Some of it is free while much of it costs money. Several factors have to be considered so the training is appropriate for what we do, to make sure that everyone is given the opportunity or not, and that it is cost effective, where cost is involved.
    You're right; we don't make the big bucks and that includes your chief. He has alot on his plate and if he wasn't responsive or you feel that he wasn't responsive, you know that you can always contact me. I will make a discreet inquiry.
    For the rest of you; consider that he is new to this. Thanks for not being too hard on him.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Default I wonder....

Why I have this sudden urge to roll up a newspaper?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

In response to the original post, or MABAS division found out that the training money wouldn't be available anyway. We did an OPS class and wanted to have another but...
    Hopefully the funds will show up before our tech classes are supposed to start.
    In a way, it's a bad deal that IFSI wants to do all the training. We've got Southwestern Illinois College with a fire science program that would be willing to do classes evenings and weekends for us. That's where the lack of funds showed up. This'll raise a stink - SWIC can do it a heck of lot cheaper than IFSI, but IFSI is getting all the money so there's nothing for SWIC to get.
    Like CR said, most of us are volunteers and unless the training is available on weekends, we just can't do it. I had some guys that wanted to take the ops class but part of it was on a Friday night. It just happened that they worked evenings and couldn't get off to go to that part of it.
    And another thing while I'm at it. There's re-imbursement to the department for overtime pay and wages for guys taking this training, but if you take vacation from your "real" job to do it, they consider that pay enough. The program is set up for full time departments, not volunteers.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

I wouldnt go that far Jack. I took many classes before I was a fulltime firefighter. Around Chicago, most of the suburban junior colleges offer associates programs in fire science. These courses generally run evenings and weekends and you can get your OSFM certifications. As far as I know, unless you have a really good contract, you are not getting paid overtime to go to school. In my case, I only get paid if its mandated by the city. The classes that were geared towards career people are the 40 hour in one week classes. You need to explore the community college route. OR, band together with your regional instructors and hold a class on your own. Our new State Fire Marshal should be able to assist you in this. We have endless amounts of talent in this State. You just have to know where to find it.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

I'm looking into this we my have got stiffed by a paid/bigger dept.I'm not looking to start any fights,but whats the difference betewen paid and vollies, other than a pay check none!. I think we have a good deal in our secondary MABAS dist by getting paid for the training the same as a paid dept. This is the first program of this type, I hope it works, but i'm not buying presents yet

Forum Member

Thank you to all.

I guess I should have just talked to the "Chief" instead of making such a stir. It's just that you don't get everything posted on the board all of the time. It's nice to know that there are other places to go to and find out about training.

Once again, thank you!

Thread Information