Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: where to begin

MembersZone Subscriber

Default where to begin

well guys, Im 25 years old been wasting my life at a job I hate for the last 7 years and shortly after joining a volunteer department decided that firefighting is what I want to do. Im going to school to study fire science in the fall and will be doing everything I can to make myself the best candidate I could be. I also plan on taking the extra classes to at least reach EMT-I. what ther things should I be doing now to make sure I am not passed over when the crap hits the fan??

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure what you mean by, "when the shxt hit's the fan."???

I think I understand the jist of what you are looking for.

You should absolutely complete your EMT course. Next (or concurrently) enroll in fire science courses. If there are none in your area take them online.

Get involved in a volunteer or reserve firefighter program.

Work on your mechanical skills (our job requires a strong mechanical background)

Get a job using your EMT skills. (90% of most fire department's calls are EMS. The better you are with your EMT skills, the easier the transition)

Most importantly, learn how to take a FIRE DEPARTMENT interview. These are much different than a "business" interview. Knock on the door of the local fire station and ask what they suggest. Thay have been successful in the process (that's why they have a badge)and can give you guidance.

Best of luck, It's the best job in the world.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Author of Smoke Your Firefighter Interview and The Aspiring Firefighter's 2-year Plan
    www.smokeyourfirefighterinterv iew.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by FDengine13
    Not sure what you mean by, "when the shxt hit's the fan."???

I think I understand the jist of what you are looking for.

You should absolutely complete your EMT course. Next (or concurrently) enroll in fire science courses. If there are none in your area take them online.

Get involved in a volunteer or reserve firefighter program.

Work on your mechanical skills (our job requires a strong mechanical background)

Get a job using your EMT skills. (90% of most fire department's calls are EMS. The better you are with your EMT skills, the easier the transition)

Most importantly, learn how to take a FIRE DEPARTMENT interview. These are much different than a "business" interview. Knock on the door of the local fire station and ask what they suggest. Thay have been successful in the process (that's why they have a badge)and can give you guidance.

Best of luck, It's the best job in the world.
    Your response makes me feel like I am going in the right direction. this fall I will start the fire science program at a local college. included in the fire science program are the classes for EMT-basic. I also plan to throw in a few extra classes to get my EMT-intermediate. I AM on our local volunteer fire department and loving every minute of my involvement. I am also trying to get on the volunteer ambulance squad as well as ESDA. I feel my mechanical skills are fairly strong but mostly in the automotive field. I plan on purchasing some books and checking out captainbobs website and materials when I begin testing(which will be ASAP, cant hurt right) I have a few excellent sources of info in some guys on our department who are farther along than I am and going to talk to current firefighters is a great Idea. I cant wait to start classes this fall. I AM EXCITED to be traveling this road and I hope someday soon when somebody asks what I do Ill be able to proudly tell them I am a firefighter

Thread Information