Forum Member

Default Arkansas Firefigher Arrested For Impersonating Cop

Story Here

Besides the obvious anger at this pathetic fool, these comments astound me.

McRae Fire Chief Mike Harmon said he had gotten a call the Sunday following Smith's stopping the teen and took immediate action to terminate Smith from his position as volunteer firefighter, though he never reported the incident to the Sheriff's department.

"I have learned the longer you let a dead dog lay in the yard the more it smells," Harmon said. "This is one of those things you have to take care of, quick."

What concerns him most is wondering what Smith's ultimate motive might have been, Harmon said.
    Chief, don't you think this would qualify as something to let local law enforcement know about?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Just another reason to prohibit the use of Emergency Lights in personal vehicles. Sorry, I do not understand the logic of hanging my personally owned vehicle, which I own and insure, out in the wind for some sort of legal action like this. There has GOT to be a better way for volunteers to get Fire Apparatus out. I don't care how slow you are, bunking in is a good solution for this.

Chief, don't you think this would qualify as something to let local law enforcement know about?

The victim could've filed a police report, but didn't -- she filed a complaint with the PD. Very well could've had more stuff going on here, like the witness didn't want to press charges.

I don't care how slow you are, bunking in is a good solution for this.

Except 99.99% of volunteer departments don't have the call volume to justify it -- just a few in urban/dense suburbs like Tiller's.

Punish the people who mis-use it. Too many laws already in this nation against inanimate objects.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

During the weekend we normally have a bunk in crew on friday or saturday night. I can't say our township really "needs" the blue lights for our cars. But to make suck a striking generalzation that nobody needs them cause of this one ****** is kinda annoying. Its a funny thing to joke about, but 99.9% know how to use the lights properly and shouldn't be liably for one hicks mistake.
    Bucks County, PA.

Forum Member

I have to agree, those of us who do have them, know pretty much how and when to properly use them. I myself, being 21 y/o have a red dash light, but seldom use it. The ONLY time I use mine is say I am travling and I come across a MVA on the interstate, or rural road, and there are not yet ANY other emergency vehicles on scene, I'll take it out, and put it on top of my vehicle to grab the attention, for my saftey, and for those who may be in the accident. It also helps if you are not sure of where you are exactly, and you can give general directions, the light could help grab the attention of the emergency crew. But in the most part, those of us who do have them, do know when to and not to use them.

Forum Member

Hell, it's bad enough when REAL cops use blue/red lights to troll for phone numbers...

Forum Member

Arkansas still has a constable for every township. A few are an asset to the LEOs . But most are just Barney fifes -- they are elected -- most run unopposed, many of them even buy old cop cars , but most run around in an old pickup with a blue kojack light.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Huh?..............

Originally posted by TillerMan25
    Just another reason to prohibit the use of Emergency Lights in personal vehicles. Sorry, I do not understand the logic of hanging my personally owned vehicle, which I own and insure, out in the wind for some sort of legal action like this. There has GOT to be a better way for volunteers to get Fire Apparatus out. I don't care how slow you are, bunking in is a good solution for this.
    Jeeesh......... You KNOW where I come from, and I have a red light on the dash of my Pickup. I have no interest in impersonating a cop, I have enough to keep me busy just trying to impersonate a Fire Chief. For those who are new here, this discussion has been going on for years. Every time someone does something stupid and gets caught, and it hits the news, a few get the Fire stoked up under the "Lights on POVs" discussion. I have a issued department car, but I use my 4X4 in severe weather, or for other good reason. Never had a problem.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Lightbulb Impersonating...

The only people that should be doing the cop duties are the "COPS" themselves. Nobody else has the right or the authority to pull you over, or stop a certain behavior in a way that a cop does.

You can do citizen's arrest, but you have to know the rights, and limitations of that, and that does NOT involve impersonating an cop.

The firefighter should be let go for that... It was NOT appropriate that he did that.
    Firefighters are beneficial to every community with the wealth of information they have!

They don't get enough praise, for the information and skills they know! It could save your life one day!!!!!

Thread Information