Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Spartan LFD rear compartment Questions

We are in the process of having a new Rescue pumper built and the chassis just showed up at the factory. It's a long 4 door Spartan Gladiator Classic with the compartments behind the rear passenger doors. We were planning on storing extinguishers in those compartments to free up space elsewhere. As luck would have it, no dice. The compartments are off by about 1/2" so they don't think it's going to work. I'm sure there are other departments that have encountered this and if so, what is stored in those compartments other then SCBA bottles? If anybody would know of an extinguisher company that makes bottles to fit these, let me know. The metal for the box will begin to be cut in around 30 days? Also, new to these forums but you guys/gals have some great information? Keep up the good work!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

We store 2 PW cans and a dry chem along with 5 hooks in ours, fit with no problem at all.

Forum Member

Put several tubes inside (if it's transverse) for pike poles.
    We also have a softside toolbox for crash hand tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Daniel Furseth
    DeForest (WI)
    Safe And Fast Extrication, Inc.
    www.besafeinc.org

"Extrication is like jazz. Improvisation based on fundamentals"

Forum Member

The problem is, being the detail oriented people we are and trying to have a nice neat spot for everything, and this is throwing a wrench in it. They are not transverse compartments so no pike poles. Being as it is a pumper/rescue for us, we have a compartment dedicated to an SCBA fill station with plenty of bottle storage. SCBA's are also going to be stored by the wheel wells as the builder says they cannot go bigger then 8" in diameter. This prevents extinguishers from going in there. So this is the prediciment. The pictures looked great, it's just we've placed those tools someplace else. Long story short, looks like we get to start shuffling stuff around.......

Too bad the compartment isn't transverse, as I think all it takes is for the apparatus manufacturer to use a certain style of pedestal to mount the SCBA seats on.

In my opinion, this is the ideal place for mounting and stowing tools that would be grabbed initially by crews to get to work immediately. I know there are in-cab mounts that are said to be crash proof, but I'm not sure I'd want to be riding a rolling over cab with an axe or halligan in there with me, regardless of how it was mounted. There's already all kinds of other crap that's going to knock me senseless.

The top section over the frame rails should be transverse, as I said before, we have 5 hooks in there. There are also access panels under the forward facing seat riser. I just looked again, our extinguishers fit with ease, the LFD has 14 inches of space beyond the rear door. Some of our other rigs carry extinguishers in the wheel well, the doors are usually all made by CPI, not the truck manufacturer, again, PW cans fit with ease.

I think we've got a case here of a body manufacturer either a.) not knowing what options are available on the chassis and cabs they buy or b.) saying something isn't possible simply because it will either be more difficult to do or cost them a little more money, which they'd ultimately pass on anyway, but...

We're working on a rear mount pumper now on a 4wd chassis, and we're fighting the "we can't do this" thing from a manufacturer that we buy from (NOT my choice to not include more competition, we're only looking at two builders). I assert that they just haven't done it before, that what we want done can be accomplished and has been by their competition, and they simply don't want to spend the time required to figure it out. They know we're almost a foregone conclusion, and will push those that don't know better into a unit that isn't necessarily what we really would like. Sometimes our committee meetings get a little heated.

Maybe a good place for the med bag.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

The chassis is an evolution classic and the truck is being built by Toyne. There is not an opening that would be transverse across the upper portion of the compartment as its welded aluminum that if it was open, would open directly into the engine compartment. Don't quote me on the dimensions, however I belive it is 8.5" w x 19" h or so. SCBA's would fit fine, however the extinguishers we have found are roughly 8.25" in diameter without accounting for the hose. It might just be a redesign from Spartan. I don't belive the builder will be to willing to start cutting metal out the Chassis, or maybe it was an issue that maybe should have been addressed at the Spartan factory while the chassis was being built?

My foot is now in my mouth. Every compartment like which we're speaking of that I've run across has been transverse. Apparently I haven't seen enough of them.

No offense meant for the folks at Toyne.

So just to make sure I understand, this chassis will have the engine mounted behind the engineer/officer's seats, separating the rear jump seats? More or less like the style used by the FDNY engines?

Just trying to draw a mental picture.

Forum Member

I just wanted to make sure that we were talking about the same chassis. Hopefully these pics will help and thanks for helping me out!!!

Forum Member

here is the next pic that shows the compartment itself

Thats the one, too bad. Our 2002 Spartan has plenty of room there, the transverse section I was talking about is covered by that vertical aluminum panel that you can see just inside the door. Unless they radically changed the chassis that extension is 14 inches, plenty of room for a good compartment. You did mention the body builder, ours was a Spartan option, not KME who built the body.

Thread Information