Forum Member

Question Florida 24 hour basic?

Indiana has a 24 basic FF course that allows you fight fires until you can successfully complete FF I & II. Does anyone know if Florida has the same type of course?

Thanks,

Chimp
    Last edited by Chimpie; 05-31-2004 at 04:40 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Florida does not have a 24 hour basic certification course. Are you looking at trying to work for a volunteer department, or are you trying to work for a career department?

You can get a job with a career department (depending on SOGs) if you don't have your FFII (450 hr) certification. The State requires you to have your certification within one (1) year of the date you started employment.

If you are looking at being a volunteer, the State is moving towards requiring you to have FFI (160 hr). Not sure about the time limit on it.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay, you have my attention...24 hours and you can fight a fire?? Do you mean exterior truck work w/ supervision or are you on a tip??

Forum Member

Hey Jason. Dave here from SPS! HAHA

Anyway, I'm 90% sure on this, but yes, once you complete your 24hr basic you are allowed to enter a building to fight a fire, as long as you have a FF I & II with you. Please, if anyone knows different please post. But I've known plenty of vollies that have fought fires without having their FF I & II.

Chimp

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay...mental note...stay out of Floridas non-metro areas. 24 hours is just enough to get these poor guys killed!! I hope they get more training! This ain't no game!
    I hate Ohios 36 hr Vol card... they never see a fire in training but the card says FIREFIGHTER. I had mine (OH 36) years ago, and looking back it's lucky I didn't get smoked. FF I, II, or III... anything else needs to go. It's just not safe. I know, I was there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh...Dave from SPS!! Hey dude!! What's up?? Send me a buzz at hotmail! Jason

Forum Member

I had 88 hours of FF1 (Essentials of FF) and even then I don't feel totally sure of myself on tip on a ripping job. After 24 hours I was able to get my PPE on and on air. I can't see anyone getting ready to go into a live situation after 24 hours.
    Bucks County, PA.

Forum Member

Default Communism still thrives!

Since the People's Republic of Florida is the only state that does NOT (I repeat, DOES NOT) recognize the National Certification for FFI or FFII, I seriously doubt that they have a 24 hour course. A few years back, I was curious about job prospects.....Made some phone calls....Their attitude was, "If you don't have our FFI and FFII Cert, you ain't sh*t." Then I asked about my National Certs.....I was basically told I could wipe my *** with those in the People's Republic of Florida.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay...mental note...stay out of Floridas non-metro areas. 24 hours is just enough to get these poor guys killed!! I hope they get more training! This ain't no game!
    See above. Florida does not, I REPEAT DOES NOT have a 24 hour basic course. 160hr FFI for volunteers.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

Can someone explain how they can ignor your national certs? I thought the idea of a 24 hour card was dumb this mite be dumber.
    Bucks County, PA.

Forum Member

Originally posted by stcommodore
    Can someone explain how they can ignore your national certs?
    probably the same way some states will not accept nationally registered EMTs.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Same as code enforcement...the same or higher level?

Thread Information