MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Getting Past the DL Requirement?

Is there any way to get around the Driver's License Requirement? What I mean by this is FD's that require "a valid [insert state] driver's license."

Will out of state applicants be turned away?

I'm looking to relocate (out of state) but I'd like to secure a job before I do. It's very frustrating to find a FD that's only hiring applicants who posess their state's DL.

Forum Member

you usually don't have to get that state's license until you are appointed or within a certain period of time. It usually says in the job announcement something like "prior to appointment" or "in order to be appointed to this position" you must have a valid (state) DL. Which means you still have time to get it, but you might as well start the process since most Fire Dept. employment takes forever.

MembersZone Subscriber

Alachua County Fire Rescue

Requirements/Overview

Graduation from high school or equivalent.
    Current State of Florida Paramedic certificate with attending privileges as approved by the Alachua County Medical Director must be obtained within three years from the initial date of full-time employment with Alachua County Fire/Rescue Services.
    Successful completion of a pre-employment physical examination and criminal history background check are required prior to employment.
    Upon submission of application, proof of the following must be provided:
    1. Current State of Florida Firefighter Certificate of Compliance.
    2. Current State of Florida Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certificate.
    3. Completion of a minimum certified sixteen (16) hour emergency driving course.
    4. A valid State of Florida Class D Driver's license with an E endorsement free from moving violation citations for a period of not less than six months preceding employment; and within the past three years applicant must have had no convictions for reckless driving or driving under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances and must not have had a driver's license suspended pursuant to Florida law.
    5. A sworn affidavit attesting to the non-use of tobacco products.
    6. Certification by the Alachua County Medical Director is required and must be maintained as a condition of employment.
    Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. Why don't they just say that only residents of Florida are eligible? This posting makes no reference to the national registry, reciprocity, or any eligibility for out of state trained applicants.

Forum Member

well Florida has their own certification standards and doesn't accept Pro Board or IFSAC... but you could apply for fire reciprocity, but it seems pretty lengthy... you might want to look into a dept. that will hire you first, then send you to the academy for the "florida" certification... that particular one sounds pretty crappy...

Thread Information