Thread: Uniform shorts

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Default Uniform shorts

I'm looking to modify my departments dress code to allow shorts to be worn on-duty. I'm interested in knowing what other FD's wear shorts. I'm not referring to workout or after-hours gear. Also, if shorts are part of your uniform options, what brand, specs, etc.? Thanks.

Forum Member

rural metro FD and EMS does in the arizona area
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Orange Beach (AL) Fire Rescue has been wearing shorts as part of our summer uniform for 12 years. Usually we get them from a local vendor, either woolrich or sportfit; would like to have a BDU type short.

Questions always arise about the safety factor, but we have found that the best way to handle that is to require turnout pants (minimum) on MVCs, potentially messy EMS scenes, etc. Of course required on all fire/fire alarms.

Really makes a difference when you have to walk out on the beach toting all oyr ALS equipment to take care of somebody who has ahd too much to drink and stayed in the sun too long. Can't say much for having to look at everybodys white legs at the beginning of summer, though!!
    Capt. K

Early Adopter

I know that several of our guys would love to have shorts as an option -- Arkansas summers can be brutal. Does anyone have a link to any factual information about the benefits of shorts? I mean... we all know it feels better to walk around in shorts than in full length pants during the 98 degree, 100% humidity days. But where can I find official studies, etc. that support that position?

Default shorties

My department just ordered a whole slew of new apparel. our shorts are a blue khaki type material. on the left leg it says the initials of our fire department name. Ex. City of New York Fire Department (FDNY). My departments is Stepney Volunteer Fire Department and on the left leg it say SVFD in white letters.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have EMS shorts issued as optional summer wear. They come from the same supplier as our regular uniform pants and may be worn from May to September. Shorts may not be worn for certain maintenance jobs like mowing at the insistance of our insurance carrier
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

the 4-1-4

We adopted a uniform shorts policy June, 2003. Members are allowed to wear a defined uniform short between May 1 and ending on October 1 of each year. The exception to the policy is when as a company we attend training at our academy, or engage in public relations assignments. We are also required to wear turnout pants on all runs if we choose to wear the uniform shorts. So far the policy has been met with alot of positives. Other than what was mentioned above, the shorts may be worn in or out of quarters, and for all details except for PR and emergency assignments.

MembersZone Subscriber

A question for those whose departments allow shorts. Is your department looking to go to Nomex station wear? And if so, does the wearing of shorts seem contradictory? My department does allow shorts, and at the same time Nomex fatigues are part of our uniform allowance, though not yet mandatory. Just looking for opinions.

Is your department looking to go to Nomex station wear? And if so, does the wearing of shorts seem contradictory?

Ok, for the first time ever this question just popped into my head:

For departments that have Nomex station wear, what do they wear when sleeping? I'm assumin' they're not taking time to get dressed in their station uniforms when a call comes in...
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

the 4-1-4

Originally posted by UAFDLTMED
    A question for those whose departments allow shorts. Is your department looking to go to Nomex station wear? And if so, does the wearing of shorts seem contradictory? My department does allow shorts, and at the same time Nomex fatigues are part of our uniform allowance, though not yet mandatory. Just looking for opinions.
    We don't wear nomex station uniforms, we wear 100% cotton. My personal opinion is that the wearing of shorts is fine under your turn out pants. I guess I would not be real high on shorts and 3/4 boots. Just a little humour.

I guess I would not be real high on shorts and 3/4 boots. Just a little humour.

Been there, done that. Got the burns to prove it.

Got caught at the station w/o my bunkers one day (washing Mom's car). It was before we were 100% bunkers, I grabbed a pump operator's turnouts who only had boots.

I took the ladder pipe, figuring that I'd be "safest" wearing that combination by being up there. Walked away with pretty decent 1st degree burns (think a good, red sunburn) on my legs from radiant heat onto black boots touching my legs...don't want to think what mucking around in hot embers could've done!
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

The only on duty shorts allowed are for our Paramedic bike patrols during the summers months. Otherwise nomex/flamex pants are required.

I think the guy in charge of bike patrol went to admin with several options for shorts and let them decide which ones were appropriate for on duty wear.

Good luck

EMT
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

Forum Member

I am not a big fan of shorts on duty. While certainly more comfortable when not on a call, sometimes we have to kneel in yucky stuff, hot asphalt/concrete driveways, parking lots, large venues. Most have stated they can have them on unless on a call.........so now you have to do a quick change into long drawers, or put on your bunker pants.........the last option seems like it would be worse then just the long pants..........just my 2 cents worth.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Early Adopter

Originally posted by Weruj1
    Most have stated they can have them on unless on a call ... so now you have to do a quick change into long drawers, or put on your bunker pants ... the last option seems like it would be worse then just the long pants
    I'm a career firefighter in Arkansas, where we get to see 100 in both the temperature and humidity categories. We wear BDU-style pants, which are more comfortable than what other FDs wear... but I still feel smothered com July & August. If wearing bunker pants on all calls is the price I'd have to pay for uniform shorts, I'd do it tomorrow.

The one argument against shorts that I don't understand is the professionalism argument. So many fire departments are getting away from "badges & brass" uniforms... And so many other blue collar jobs are allowing shorts. I saw a Coke man the other day who looked more professional in his button-up shirt and shorts than some firefighters do in long pants and a t-shirt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by cozmosis
    Does anyone have a link to any factual information about the benefits of shorts?
    We are a northeast department and have had shorts as a uniform option for about 3 years now. Some guys wear them year round. I would suggest you look carefully at the recommendation of your turnout gear manufacturer. I believe most recommend no additional layers of clothing be worn under the gear to facilitate the wicking of moisture from the skin to prevent steam burns and heat-stress related events. That was what got our foot in the door and our manufacturer confirmed their desire to eliminate additional layers of clothing to the department's health and safety committee.

To back up IAFF760's story...bunker gear built to NFPA standards assume you are naked underneath.

The manufacturer's can't control what you wear under 'em, and if they did build pants that relied on you wearing nomex station pants, or cotton jeans, or whatever, then those pants would have to be tested as part of the ensemble.

Easier for everyone just to assume you're going commando

Well...easier for the manufacturers. Probably pretty damn disturbing for your co-workers.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Well...easier for the manufacturers. Probably pretty damn disturbing for your co-workers.
    ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

We allow shorts in between April 1st and September 1st because of the heat and humidity here in SC. They are optional, and we are required to put bunker pants on if you are wearing shorts for Potentially messy EMS calls, Car wrecks, and whenever else the officer feels neccessary. EMS hates us wearing shorts because they think it is a risk, but i disagree because if i feel like I need more protection on an ems call i can always put on my turnouts.

Thread Information